Re: [dita-users] DITA for Publishers User's Guide Free on iTunes for iBooks

  • Scott Prentice
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 24 7:26 AM
      Very nice. On iTunes it shows the publish date as 1 April 2012. Was that the date in the EPUB or did you start the process on that date?

      Thanks again for all of your work on this project!

      ...scott

      Sent from my phone. Please excuse any typos or unexpected brevity.

      On Apr 24, 2012, at 6:03 AM, Eliot Kimber <ekimber@...> wrote:

      As an experiment using Apple's new personally-published free eBook feature
      on iTunes, I've published the DITA for Publishers User Guide and Reference
      on iTunes:

      http://itunes.apple.com/us/book/dita-for-publishers-user-guide/id515822062?
      mt=11#

      This was mostly a test of the service but it also demonstrates using DITA
      and the D4P EPUB transformation type to publish an EPUB to iTunes.

      Cheers,

      Eliot
      --
      Eliot Kimber
      Senior Solutions Architect, RSI Content Solutions

    • Eliot Kimber
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 24 9:03 AM
        The date I submitted it for approval. It took almost a month for Apple to
        review and approve it, which isn't hard to complain about since it's a free
        service.

        Cheers,

        E.

        --
        Eliot Kimber
        Senior Solutions Architect, RSI Content Solutions
        Main: 512.554.9368
        www.rsicms.com
        www.rsuitecms.com
      • Dave Pawson
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 24 9:18 AM
          On 24 April 2012 17:03, Eliot Kimber <ekimber@...> wrote:
          > The date I submitted it for approval. It took almost a month for Apple to
          > review and approve it, which isn't hard to complain about since it's a free
          > service.
          >
          > Cheers,
          >
          > E.

          Good advert for dita2epub Eliot.

          It looks really good.

          regards

          > On 4/24/12 7:26 AM, "Scott Prentice" <sp10@...> wrote:
          >
          >> Very nice. On iTunes it shows the publish date as 1 April 2012. Was that the
          >> date in the EPUB or did you start the process on that date?
          >>
          >> Thanks again for all of your work on this project!
          >>
          >> ...scott
          >>
          >> Sent from my phone. Please excuse any typos or unexpected brevity.
          >>
          >> On Apr 24, 2012, at 6:03 AM, Eliot Kimber <ekimber@...> wrote:
          >>

          >>> As an experiment using Apple's new personally-published free eBook feature
          >>> on iTunes, I've published the DITA for Publishers User Guide and Reference
          >>> on iTunes:
          >>>
          >>> http://itunes.apple.com/us/book/dita-for-publishers-user-guide/id515822062?
          >>> mt=11#
          >>>
          >>> This was mostly a test of the service but it also demonstrates using DITA
          >>> and the D4P EPUB transformation type to publish an EPUB to iTunes.
          >>>
          >>> Cheers,
          >>>
          >>> Eliot
          >>> --
          >>> Eliot Kimber
          >>> Senior Solutions Architect, RSI Content Solutions
          >>> "Bringing Strategy, Content, and Technology Together"
          >>> Main: 512.554.9368
          >>> www.rsicms.com <http://www.rsicms.com>
          >>> www.rsuitecms.com <http://www.rsuitecms.com>
          >>>

          > --
          > Eliot Kimber
          > Senior Solutions Architect, RSI Content Solutions
          > "Bringing Strategy, Content, and Technology Together"
          > Main: 512.554.9368
          > www.rsicms.com
          > www.rsuitecms.com

          Dave Pawson
          XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.
          Docbook FAQ.
          http://www.dpawson.co.uk
        • Eliot Kimber
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 24 9:25 AM
            Thanks!

            Coming soon: EPUB3....

            Cheers,

            E.

            On 4/24/12 9:18 AM, "Dave Pawson" <dave.pawson@...> wrote:

            > On 24 April 2012 17:03, Eliot Kimber <ekimber@...
            > <mailto:ekimber%40rsicms.com> > wrote:
            >> The date I submitted it for approval. It took almost a month for Apple to
            >> review and approve it, which isn't hard to complain about since it's a free
            >> service.
            >>
            >> Cheers,
            >>
            >> E.
            >
            > Good advert for dita2epub Eliot.
            >
            > It looks really good.
            >
            > regards
            >

            >> On 4/24/12 7:26 AM, "Scott Prentice" <sp10@...
            >> <mailto:sp10%40leximation.com> > wrote:
            >>
            >>> Very nice. On iTunes it shows the publish date as 1 April 2012. Was that the
            >>> date in the EPUB or did you start the process on that date?
            >>>
            >>> Thanks again for all of your work on this project!
            >>>
            >>> ...scott
            >>>
            >>> Sent from my phone. Please excuse any typos or unexpected brevity.

            >> --
            >> Eliot Kimber
            >> Senior Solutions Architect, RSI Content Solutions
            >> "Bringing Strategy, Content, and Technology Together"
            >> Main: 512.554.9368
            >> www.rsicms.com
            >> www.rsuitecms.com

            Eliot Kimber
            Senior Solutions Architect, RSI Content Solutions
            Main: 512.554.9368
            www.rsicms.com
            www.rsuitecms.com
          • TommyR
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 24 11:15 AM
              Thanks a ton Eliot. Looks great on the iPad.

              Sent from my iPad2

              =
            • chouke2002
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 24 11:25 AM
                Eliot,
                Thanks for sharing that ... so much information.
                Ray

                --- In dita-users@yahoogroups.com, Eliot Kimber <ekimber@...> wrote:

                > As an experiment using Apple's new personally-published free eBook feature
                > on iTunes, I've published the DITA for Publishers User Guide and Reference
                > on iTunes:
                >
                > http://itunes.apple.com/us/book/dita-for-publishers-user-guide/id515822062?
                > mt=11#
                >
                > This was mostly a test of the service but it also demonstrates using DITA
                > and the D4P EPUB transformation type to publish an EPUB to iTunes.
                >
                > Cheers,
                >
                > Eliot
                > --
                > Eliot Kimber
                > Senior Solutions Architect, RSI Content Solutions
                > "Bringing Strategy, Content, and Technology Together"
                > Main: 512.554.9368
                > www.rsicms.com
                > www.rsuitecms.com

              • Jeremy H. Griffith
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 24 11:34 AM
                  On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 08:03:54 -0500, Eliot Kimber <ekimber@...> wrote:

                  >As an experiment using Apple's new personally-published free eBook feature
                  >on iTunes, I've published the DITA for Publishers User Guide and Reference
                  >on iTunes:
                  >
                  > http://itunes.apple.com/us/book/dita-for-publishers-user-guide/id515822062?

                  Is this the service that requires that you
                  give them *exclusive* publishing rights in
                  all media, or is that a different Apple
                  project? Maybe just their textbook one?

                  I'm wondering because i don't have iTunes
                  and am not willing to install it (the EULA
                  is "interesting"). So I am hoping you will
                  be able to offer other versions without
                  getting sued by Apple... ;-)

                  -- Jeremy H. Griffith <jeremy@...>
                  DITA2Go site: http://www.dita2go.com/
                • Eliot Kimber
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 24 12:41 PM
                    Since it's free, I don't imagine that exclusivity would be interesting. I
                    think you're thinking of the Apple textbooks stuff.

                    The EPUB is available directly from the D4P Web site, so you're not required
                    to go through iTunes. This was just an experiment in using the iTunes
                    service.

                    Cheers,

                    E.

                    On 4/24/12 11:34 AM, "Jeremy H. Griffith" <jeremy@...> wrote:

                    > On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 08:03:54 -0500, Eliot Kimber <ekimber@...
                    > <mailto:ekimber%40rsicms.com> > wrote:
                    >
                    >> As an experiment using Apple's new personally-published free eBook feature
                    >> on iTunes, I've published the DITA for Publishers User Guide and Reference
                    >> on iTunes:
                    >>
                    >> http://itunes.apple.com/us/book/dita-for-publishers-user-guide/id515822062?
                    >
                    > Is this the service that requires that you
                    > give them *exclusive* publishing rights in
                    > all media, or is that a different Apple
                    > project? Maybe just their textbook one?
                    >
                    > I'm wondering because i don't have iTunes
                    > and am not willing to install it (the EULA
                    > is "interesting"). So I am hoping you will
                    > be able to offer other versions without
                    > getting sued by Apple... ;-)
                    >
                    > -- Jeremy H. Griffith <jeremy@... <mailto:jeremy%40omsys.com> >
                    > DITA2Go site: http://www.dita2go.com/

                    --
                    Eliot Kimber
                    Senior Solutions Architect, RSI Content Solutions
                    Main: 512.554.9368
                    www.rsicms.com
                    www.rsuitecms.com
                  • Tony Chung
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 24 1:29 PM
                      Eliiot,

                      As the creator, did you notice any differences between the generated
                      EPUB and the version released through iTunes? I heard that Apple adds
                      a bunch of kruft to it.

                      Oh, and thanks for this!

                      -T

                      On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 12:41 PM, Eliot Kimber <ekimber@...> wrote:
                      > The EPUB is available directly from the D4P Web site, so you're not required
                      > to go through iTunes. This was just an experiment in using the iTunes
                      > service.
                    • Eliot Kimber
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 24 1:32 PM
                        I haven't had a chance to look. I will.

                        I know that they add a properly list file to the EPUB. They may also add to
                        the EPUB metadata.

                        Cheers,

                        E.

                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 24 1:35 PM
                          As far as I can tell with a quick peek into the EPUB file, is the addition
                          of info.plist file:

                          <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
                          <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN"
                          "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
                          <plist version="1.0">
                          <dict>
                          <key>artistName</key>
                          <string>W. Eliot Kimber</string>
                          <key>book-info</key>
                          <dict>
                          <key>cover-image-hash</key>
                          <string>09BE262BD97EE6922F7623BB831E6DCF</string>
                          <key>cover-image-path</key>
                          <string>images/epub-cover-graphic.jpg</string>
                          <key>package-file-hash</key>
                          <string>B602380A86B34FAC136DC544B1C437CE</string>
                          <key>publisher-unique-id</key>
                          <string>http://example.org/epubs/</string>
                          <key>unique-id</key>
                          <integer>-6183726405554359775</integer>
                          </dict>
                          <key>itemName</key>
                          <string>DITA For Publishers User Guide</string>
                          <key>playlistName</key>
                          <string>DITA For Publishers User Guide</string>
                          </dict>
                          </plist>

                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 24 1:54 PM
                            Interesting. I'm seeing 4 files that I assume weren't added by you ..

                            iTunesArtwork
                            iTunesMetadata.plist
                            META-INF/signatures.xml
                            META-INF/sinf.xml

                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 24 1:59 PM
                              Ah, I was looking at the wrong file. You're correct, it looks like it adds
                              files related to Apple's DRM and one that is the "album cover" for the book.

                              Cheers,

                              E.

                            • matt_kaatman
                              Message 14 of 16 , Apr 26 8:13 AM
                                Semi-on topic article that I recently read that I thought you might find interesting.

                                http://gigaom.com/2012/04/18/note-to-publishers-your-addiction-to-drm-is-killing-you/