Re: [dita-users] DITA for Publishers User's Guide Free on iTunes for iBooks

  • Bertrand Lefort
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 24 6:13 AM
      very cool
      Signature email pour le mac

      Bertrand Lefort
      Business and Web analyst
      Ressources humaines | Human Resources
      Université d'Ottawa | University of Ottawa
      blefort@...
      Tél. | Tel. : 613-562-5800 (1857)
      Téléc. | Fax : 613-562-5206

      Est-il nécessaire d'imprimer ce courriel ? | Do you really have to print this email?

      Le présent courriel et toutes les pièces jointes contiennent de l'information privée, exclusive, privilégiée et/ou confidentielle, sujette au droit d'auteur s'adressant uniquement au destinataire. Toute utilisation, copie ou distribution non autorisée du contenu de ce courriel est strictement interdite. Si vous n'êtes pas le destinataire de ce message et que vous l'avez reçu par erreur, veuillez le supprimer et en informer immédiatement l’expéditeur.

      This e-mail communication, including all attachments, may contain private, proprietary, privileged and/or confidential information and subject to copyright. It is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. Any unauthorized use, copying or distribution of the contents of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. Please delete this e-mail and notify the sender immediately, if you are not the intended recipient, and have received it in error.

      On 2012-04-24, at 9:03 AM, Eliot Kimber wrote:

      As an experiment using Apple's new personally-published free eBook feature
      on iTunes, I've published the DITA for Publishers User Guide and Reference
      on iTunes:

      http://itunes.apple.com/us/book/dita-for-publishers-user-guide/id515822062?
      mt=11#

      This was mostly a test of the service but it also demonstrates using DITA
      and the D4P EPUB transformation type to publish an EPUB to iTunes.

      Cheers,

      Eliot
      --
      Eliot Kimber
      Senior Solutions Architect, RSI Content Solutions

      <*> Your email settings:
         Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
         (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
         dita-users-digest@yahoogroups.com
         dita-users-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

         http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Scott Prentice
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 24 7:26 AM
        Very nice. On iTunes it shows the publish date as 1 April 2012. Was that the date in the EPUB or did you start the process on that date?

        Thanks again for all of your work on this project!

        ...scott

        Sent from my phone. Please excuse any typos or unexpected brevity.

        On Apr 24, 2012, at 6:03 AM, Eliot Kimber <ekimber@...> wrote:

        As an experiment using Apple's new personally-published free eBook feature
        on iTunes, I've published the DITA for Publishers User Guide and Reference
        on iTunes:

        http://itunes.apple.com/us/book/dita-for-publishers-user-guide/id515822062?
        mt=11#

        This was mostly a test of the service but it also demonstrates using DITA
        and the D4P EPUB transformation type to publish an EPUB to iTunes.

        Cheers,

        Eliot
        --
        Eliot Kimber
        Senior Solutions Architect, RSI Content Solutions
        Main: 512.554.9368
        www.rsicms.com
        www.rsuitecms.com

      • Eliot Kimber
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 24 9:03 AM
          The date I submitted it for approval. It took almost a month for Apple to
          review and approve it, which isn't hard to complain about since it's a free
          service.

          Cheers,

          E.

          --
          Eliot Kimber
          Senior Solutions Architect, RSI Content Solutions
          Main: 512.554.9368
          www.rsicms.com
          www.rsuitecms.com
        • Dave Pawson
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 24 9:18 AM
            On 24 April 2012 17:03, Eliot Kimber <ekimber@...> wrote:
            > The date I submitted it for approval. It took almost a month for Apple to
            > review and approve it, which isn't hard to complain about since it's a free
            > service.
            >
            > Cheers,
            >
            > E.

            Good advert for dita2epub Eliot.

            It looks really good.

            regards

            > On 4/24/12 7:26 AM, "Scott Prentice" <sp10@...> wrote:
            >
            >> Very nice. On iTunes it shows the publish date as 1 April 2012. Was that the
            >> date in the EPUB or did you start the process on that date?
            >>
            >> Thanks again for all of your work on this project!
            >>
            >> ...scott
            >>
            >> Sent from my phone. Please excuse any typos or unexpected brevity.
            >>
            >> On Apr 24, 2012, at 6:03 AM, Eliot Kimber <ekimber@...> wrote:
            >>

            >>> As an experiment using Apple's new personally-published free eBook feature
            >>> on iTunes, I've published the DITA for Publishers User Guide and Reference
            >>> on iTunes:
            >>>
            >>> http://itunes.apple.com/us/book/dita-for-publishers-user-guide/id515822062?
            >>> mt=11#
            >>>
            >>> This was mostly a test of the service but it also demonstrates using DITA
            >>> and the D4P EPUB transformation type to publish an EPUB to iTunes.
            >>>
            >>> Cheers,
            >>>
            >>> Eliot
            >>> --
            >>> Eliot Kimber
            >>> Senior Solutions Architect, RSI Content Solutions
            >>> "Bringing Strategy, Content, and Technology Together"
            >>> Main: 512.554.9368
            >>> www.rsicms.com <http://www.rsicms.com>
            >>> www.rsuitecms.com <http://www.rsuitecms.com>
            >>>

            > --
            > Eliot Kimber
            > Senior Solutions Architect, RSI Content Solutions
            > "Bringing Strategy, Content, and Technology Together"
            > Main: 512.554.9368
            > www.rsicms.com
            > www.rsuitecms.com

            Dave Pawson
            XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.
            Docbook FAQ.
            http://www.dpawson.co.uk
          • Eliot Kimber
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 24 9:25 AM
              Thanks!

              Coming soon: EPUB3....

              Cheers,

              E.

              On 4/24/12 9:18 AM, "Dave Pawson" <dave.pawson@...> wrote:

              > On 24 April 2012 17:03, Eliot Kimber <ekimber@...
              > <mailto:ekimber%40rsicms.com> > wrote:
              >> The date I submitted it for approval. It took almost a month for Apple to
              >> review and approve it, which isn't hard to complain about since it's a free
              >> service.
              >>
              >> Cheers,
              >>
              >> E.
              >
              > Good advert for dita2epub Eliot.
              >
              > It looks really good.
              >
              > regards
              >

              >> On 4/24/12 7:26 AM, "Scott Prentice" <sp10@...
              >> <mailto:sp10%40leximation.com> > wrote:
              >>
              >>> Very nice. On iTunes it shows the publish date as 1 April 2012. Was that the
              >>> date in the EPUB or did you start the process on that date?
              >>>
              >>> Thanks again for all of your work on this project!
              >>>
              >>> ...scott
              >>>
              >>> Sent from my phone. Please excuse any typos or unexpected brevity.

              >> --
              >> Eliot Kimber
              >> Senior Solutions Architect, RSI Content Solutions
              >> "Bringing Strategy, Content, and Technology Together"
              >> Main: 512.554.9368
              >> www.rsicms.com
              >> www.rsuitecms.com

              Eliot Kimber
              Senior Solutions Architect, RSI Content Solutions
              Main: 512.554.9368
              www.rsicms.com
              www.rsuitecms.com
            • TommyR
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 24 11:15 AM
                Thanks a ton Eliot. Looks great on the iPad.

                Sent from my iPad2

                =
              • chouke2002
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 24 11:25 AM
                  Eliot,
                  Thanks for sharing that ... so much information.
                  Ray

                  --- In dita-users@yahoogroups.com, Eliot Kimber <ekimber@...> wrote:

                  > As an experiment using Apple's new personally-published free eBook feature
                  > on iTunes, I've published the DITA for Publishers User Guide and Reference
                  > on iTunes:
                  >
                  > http://itunes.apple.com/us/book/dita-for-publishers-user-guide/id515822062?
                  > mt=11#
                  >
                  > This was mostly a test of the service but it also demonstrates using DITA
                  > and the D4P EPUB transformation type to publish an EPUB to iTunes.
                  >
                  > Cheers,
                  >
                  > Eliot
                  > --
                  > Eliot Kimber
                  > Senior Solutions Architect, RSI Content Solutions
                  > "Bringing Strategy, Content, and Technology Together"
                  > Main: 512.554.9368
                  > www.rsicms.com
                  > www.rsuitecms.com

                • Jeremy H. Griffith
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 24 11:34 AM
                    On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 08:03:54 -0500, Eliot Kimber <ekimber@...> wrote:

                    >As an experiment using Apple's new personally-published free eBook feature
                    >on iTunes, I've published the DITA for Publishers User Guide and Reference
                    >on iTunes:
                    >
                    > http://itunes.apple.com/us/book/dita-for-publishers-user-guide/id515822062?

                    Is this the service that requires that you
                    give them *exclusive* publishing rights in
                    all media, or is that a different Apple
                    project? Maybe just their textbook one?

                    I'm wondering because i don't have iTunes
                    and am not willing to install it (the EULA
                    is "interesting"). So I am hoping you will
                    be able to offer other versions without
                    getting sued by Apple... ;-)

                    -- Jeremy H. Griffith <jeremy@...>
                    DITA2Go site: http://www.dita2go.com/
                  • Eliot Kimber
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 24 12:41 PM
                      Since it's free, I don't imagine that exclusivity would be interesting. I
                      think you're thinking of the Apple textbooks stuff.

                      The EPUB is available directly from the D4P Web site, so you're not required
                      to go through iTunes. This was just an experiment in using the iTunes
                      service.

                      Cheers,

                      E.

                      On 4/24/12 11:34 AM, "Jeremy H. Griffith" <jeremy@...> wrote:

                      > On Tue, 24 Apr 2012 08:03:54 -0500, Eliot Kimber <ekimber@...
                      > <mailto:ekimber%40rsicms.com> > wrote:
                      >
                      >> As an experiment using Apple's new personally-published free eBook feature
                      >> on iTunes, I've published the DITA for Publishers User Guide and Reference
                      >> on iTunes:
                      >>
                      >> http://itunes.apple.com/us/book/dita-for-publishers-user-guide/id515822062?
                      >
                      > Is this the service that requires that you
                      > give them *exclusive* publishing rights in
                      > all media, or is that a different Apple
                      > project? Maybe just their textbook one?
                      >
                      > I'm wondering because i don't have iTunes
                      > and am not willing to install it (the EULA
                      > is "interesting"). So I am hoping you will
                      > be able to offer other versions without
                      > getting sued by Apple... ;-)
                      >
                      > -- Jeremy H. Griffith <jeremy@... <mailto:jeremy%40omsys.com> >
                      > DITA2Go site: http://www.dita2go.com/

                      --
                      Eliot Kimber
                      Senior Solutions Architect, RSI Content Solutions
                      Main: 512.554.9368
                      www.rsicms.com
                      www.rsuitecms.com
                    • Tony Chung
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 24 1:29 PM
                        Eliiot,

                        As the creator, did you notice any differences between the generated
                        EPUB and the version released through iTunes? I heard that Apple adds
                        a bunch of kruft to it.

                        Oh, and thanks for this!

                        -T

                        On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 12:41 PM, Eliot Kimber <ekimber@...> wrote:
                        > The EPUB is available directly from the D4P Web site, so you're not required
                        > to go through iTunes. This was just an experiment in using the iTunes
                        > service.
                      • Eliot Kimber
                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 24 1:32 PM
                          I haven't had a chance to look. I will.

                          I know that they add a properly list file to the EPUB. They may also add to
                          the EPUB metadata.

                          Cheers,

                          E.

                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 24 1:35 PM
                            As far as I can tell with a quick peek into the EPUB file, is the addition
                            of info.plist file:

                            <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
                            <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN"
                            "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
                            <plist version="1.0">
                            <dict>
                            <key>artistName</key>
                            <string>W. Eliot Kimber</string>
                            <key>book-info</key>
                            <dict>
                            <key>cover-image-hash</key>
                            <string>09BE262BD97EE6922F7623BB831E6DCF</string>
                            <key>cover-image-path</key>
                            <string>images/epub-cover-graphic.jpg</string>
                            <key>package-file-hash</key>
                            <string>B602380A86B34FAC136DC544B1C437CE</string>
                            <key>publisher-unique-id</key>
                            <string>http://example.org/epubs/</string>
                            <key>unique-id</key>
                            <integer>-6183726405554359775</integer>
                            </dict>
                            <key>itemName</key>
                            <string>DITA For Publishers User Guide</string>
                            <key>playlistName</key>
                            <string>DITA For Publishers User Guide</string>
                            </dict>
                            </plist>

                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 24 1:54 PM
                              Interesting. I'm seeing 4 files that I assume weren't added by you ..

                              iTunesArtwork
                              iTunesMetadata.plist
                              META-INF/signatures.xml
                              META-INF/sinf.xml

                              Message 14 of 16 , Apr 24 1:59 PM
                                Ah, I was looking at the wrong file. You're correct, it looks like it adds
                                files related to Apple's DRM and one that is the "album cover" for the book.

                                Cheers,

                                E.

                              • matt_kaatman
                                Message 15 of 16 , Apr 26 8:13 AM
                                  Semi-on topic article that I recently read that I thought you might find interesting.

                                  http://gigaom.com/2012/04/18/note-to-publishers-your-addiction-to-drm-is-killing-you/