Re: [dita-users] On xInclude

  • Jarno Elovirta
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 22 11:33 PM
      Hi,

      DITA-OT already supports extended format value:
      <coderef href="unicode.txt" format="txt; charset=UTF-8"/>
      Extending support to use the RFC 5147 might be a good idea.

      Cheers,

      Jarno

      On 2012-4-23 0:37, Jeremy H. Griffith wrote:

      On Sun, 22 Apr 2012 08:02:50 +0100, Dave Pawson
      <dave.pawson@...> wrote:

      >http://norman.walsh.name//2012/04/21/textFragid
      >
      >One aspect of it. I think this would be useful in
      >DITA for the reasons given in the article.

      Nice one, Dave! The RFC 5147 syntax:
      http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5147
      also works nicely with the DITA coderef element.
      We've added support for it in the current DITA2Go
      Betas for dwhtm (HTML/XML outputs) and for dwrtf
      (Word RTF output).

      We also added four more PIs to handle the full
      RFC 5147 capabilities. We already had the
      ExtCodeStartLine and ExtCodeEndLine, and added
      ExtCodeStartChar and ExtCodeEndChar (offsets
      in characters, not bytes), and ExtCodeFileLen
      (length in bytes of the entire file, not the
      fragment) and ExtCodeFileEnc (encoding, optional).

      So the following two snippets do the same thing:

      <?dtall ExtCodeStartLine="4" ExtCodeEndLine="15"
      ExtCodeFileLen="438" ExtCodeFileEnc="UTF-8" ?>

      As Scott observed earlier, the fragment identifier
      is not required to have topicid/elemid in coderef
      as the target file is not necessarily DITA, so the
      latter usage does not conflict with the DITA spec.
      We'd recommend it over the PIs, and hope that other
      vendors, and the DITA-OT, also adopt it.

      Note that in RFC 5147, the starting line is actually
      the line number before the one you want (because it
      is zero-based). To start with the first line, use
      "#line=,15". In the PI, we stay one-based, like
      all text editors are.

      The RFC doesn't say what to do if both line and char
      offsets are present. So what we do is start with the
      starting line, then count to the starting char from
      there, and continue until the ending char (relative to
      the same place), or the ending line, whichever is first.
      This allows you to select a part of one or more lines
      easily, without having to count characters (which are
      code points, not bytes) to get to the starting line.

      The file length (bytes) provides a way of checking
      whether the file has changed since you specified
      the offsets in it. This is the same check Norm Walsh
      makes in Calabash for the Xinclude version. If the
      file size is provided and is not the same, we log an
      error and do not include any file content, per the RFC.

      Thanks again, Dave, for pointing this out.

      -- Jeremy H. Griffith <jeremy@...>
      DITA2Go site: http://www.dita2go.com/