Re: Advice on glossary structure: glossgroup or individual files

  • Qiana Eaglin
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 13 12:39 PM

      Can someone please take some time to assist me with my glossary dilemma? I just  need to be pointed in the right direction.

      Thanks,

      Qiana

    • Bob
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 13 1:22 PM

        Hi Qiana,

        Try adding "print="yes"" attribute to each glossref like below:

        <map>

        <title>DITA Topic Map</title>
        <topicref href="GlossTestTopic.dita"/>
        <topichead navtitle="Glossary by glossrefs to glossentries.dita" type="topic">
        <glossref href="USB%20Drive.dita" keys="glossentry_usbfd" print="yes"/>
        <glossref href="abs.dita" keys="abs" print="yes"/>
        </topichead>
        </map>

        HTH, Bob

        --- In dita-users@yahoogroups.com, Qiana Eaglin <qiana.eaglin@...> wrote:

        > Can someone please take some time to assist me with my glossary dilemma? I just need to be pointed in the right direction.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Qiana

      • qeaglin
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 19 9:53 AM
          Bob,

          Thanks for your reply.

          That still not working. I can transform the ditamap fine, but when I add the ditamap to a book map the glossary won't display. My problem seems to be with the bookmap. If I try to reference each glossentry with a glossref, I get an error that Acrobat could not open the file because the file was damaged. I also get this error when I try to add topicheads to the glossary ditamap. However, if I use topicrefs, my book transforms without error. Are you using a bookmap to create your PDF or just a ditamap?

          Thanks,
          Qiana

          --- In dita-users@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <bob.conlin@...> wrote:

          > Hi Qiana,
          >
          > Try adding "print="yes"" attribute to each glossref like below:
          >
          > <map>
          > <title>DITA Topic Map</title>
          > <topicref href="GlossTestTopic.dita"/>
          > <topichead navtitle="Glossary by glossrefs to glossentries.dita"
          > type="topic">
          > <glossref href="USB%20Drive.dita" keys="glossentry_usbfd" print="yes"/>
          > <glossref href="abs.dita" keys="abs" print="yes"/>
          > </topichead>
          > </map>
          >

          > HTH, Bob
          >

          > --- In dita-users@yahoogroups.com, Qiana Eaglin <qiana.eaglin@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Can someone please take some time to assist me with my glossary
          > dilemma? I just need to be pointed in the right direction.
          > >
          > > Thanks,
          > > Qiana

        • Bob
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 19 11:09 AM
            I've been using ditamaps. I'll check this out with bookmaps & get back to you.

            --- In dita-users@yahoogroups.com, "qeaglin" <qiana.eaglin@...> wrote:

            > Bob,
            >
            > Thanks for your reply.
            >
            > That still not working. I can transform the ditamap fine, but when I add the ditamap to a book map the glossary won't display. My problem seems to be with the bookmap. If I try to reference each glossentry with a glossref, I get an error that Acrobat could not open the file because the file was damaged. I also get this error when I try to add topicheads to the glossary ditamap. However, if I use topicrefs, my book transforms without error. Are you using a bookmap to create your PDF or just a ditamap?
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Qiana
            >
            > --- In dita-users@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <bob.conlin@> wrote:
            > >

            > > Hi Qiana,
            > >
            > > Try adding "print="yes"" attribute to each glossref like below:
            > >
            > > <map>
            > > <title>DITA Topic Map</title>
            > > <topicref href="GlossTestTopic.dita"/>
            > > <topichead navtitle="Glossary by glossrefs to glossentries.dita"
            > > type="topic">
            > > <glossref href="USB%20Drive.dita" keys="glossentry_usbfd" print="yes"/>
            > > <glossref href="abs.dita" keys="abs" print="yes"/>
            > > </topichead>
            > > </map>
            > >

            > > HTH, Bob
            > >

            > > --- In dita-users@yahoogroups.com, Qiana Eaglin <qiana.eaglin@>
            > > wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Can someone please take some time to assist me with my glossary
            > > dilemma? I just need to be pointed in the right direction.
            > > >
            > > > Thanks,
            > > > Qiana

          • juliov27612
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 20 7:30 AM
              Hi Qiana,

              This should work in bookmap. Can you post the portion of the map so we have some idea of what your coding looks like?

              Thanks,

              Julio J. Vazquez
              SDI Global Solutions

              --- In dita-users@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <bob.conlin@...> wrote:

              > I've been using ditamaps. I'll check this out with bookmaps & get back to you.
              >
              > --- In dita-users@yahoogroups.com, "qeaglin" <qiana.eaglin@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Bob,
              > >
              > > Thanks for your reply.
              > >
              > > That still not working. I can transform the ditamap fine, but when I add the ditamap to a book map the glossary won't display. My problem seems to be with the bookmap. If I try to reference each glossentry with a glossref, I get an error that Acrobat could not open the file because the file was damaged. I also get this error when I try to add topicheads to the glossary ditamap. However, if I use topicrefs, my book transforms without error. Are you using a bookmap to create your PDF or just a ditamap?
              > >
              > > Thanks,
              > > Qiana
              > >
              > > --- In dita-users@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <bob.conlin@> wrote:
              > > >

              > > > Hi Qiana,
              > > >
              > > > Try adding "print="yes"" attribute to each glossref like below:
              > > >
              > > > <map>
              > > > <title>DITA Topic Map</title>
              > > > <topicref href="GlossTestTopic.dita"/>
              > > > <topichead navtitle="Glossary by glossrefs to glossentries.dita"
              > > > type="topic">
              > > > <glossref href="USB%20Drive.dita" keys="glossentry_usbfd" print="yes"/>
              > > > <glossref href="abs.dita" keys="abs" print="yes"/>
              > > > </topichead>
              > > > </map>
              > > >

              > > > HTH, Bob
              > > >

              > > > --- In dita-users@yahoogroups.com, Qiana Eaglin <qiana.eaglin@>

              > > > dilemma? I just need to be pointed in the right direction.

            • Bob
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 20 9:12 AM

                Hi Qiana,

                I tried a bookmap (default OT) with the same topics and glossary as my previous tests and they seem to be working OK. Take a look at the bookmap:

                <bookmap>

                <booktitle>
                <mainbooktitle>BookMap Main book title</mainbooktitle>
                </booktitle>
                <bookmeta>
                <metadata>
                <prodinfo>
                <prodname>Book ProdName</prodname>
                <vrmlist>
                <vrm version="Version information" release="Release information"/>
                </vrmlist>
                </prodinfo>
                </metadata>
                </bookmeta>
                <chapter href="TopicDemo1.dita"/>
                <chapter href="TopicDemo2.dita"/>
                <chapter href="TopicDemoLandscape.dita"/>
                <!-- Works good for HTML base (WebHelp, CHM, XHTML) -->
                <appendix href="GlossaryGroupRef.dita" audience="chm"/>
                <!-- Works good for PDF -->
                <backmatter>
                <topichead navtitle="Glossary (PDF)" audience="pdf">
                <topicref href="Glossary/DITA.dita" keys="dita" print="yes"/>
                <topicref href="Glossary/DITAMap.dita" keys="ditamap" print="yes"/>
                </topichead>
                </backmatter>
                </bookmap>

                Everything else is the same as the previous post.

                HTH, Bob

                --- In dita-users@yahoogroups.com, "qeaglin" <qiana.eaglin@...> wrote:

                > Bob,
                >
                > Thanks for your reply.
                >
                > That still not working. I can transform the ditamap fine, but when I add the ditamap to a book map the glossary won't display. My problem seems to be with the bookmap. If I try to reference each glossentry with a glossref, I get an error that Acrobat could not open the file because the file was damaged. I also get this error when I try to add topicheads to the glossary ditamap. However, if I use topicrefs, my book transforms without error. Are you using a bookmap to create your PDF or just a ditamap?
                >
                > Thanks,
                > Qiana
                >
                > --- In dita-users@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" bob.conlin@ wrote:
                > >

                > > Hi Qiana,
                > >
                > > Try adding "print="yes"" attribute to each glossref like below:
                > >
                > > <map>
                > > <title>DITA Topic Map</title>
                > > <topicref href="GlossTestTopic.dita"/>
                > > <topichead navtitle="Glossary by glossrefs to glossentries.dita"
                > > type="topic">
                > > <glossref href="USB%20Drive.dita" keys="glossentry_usbfd" print="yes"/>
                > > <glossref href="abs.dita" keys="abs" print="yes"/>
                > > </topichead>
                > > </map>
                > >

                > > HTH, Bob
                > >

                > > --- In dita-users@yahoogroups.com, Qiana Eaglin <qiana.eaglin@>
                > > wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Can someone please take some time to assist me with my glossary
                > > dilemma? I just need to be pointed in the right direction.
                > > >
                > > > Thanks,
                > > > Qiana

              • Qiana Eaglin
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 20 1:02 PM

                  Thanks for the assistance! I figured how why my glossary wasn’t displaying. In my bookmap, I was using a glossarylist tag and a mapref to my glossary ditamap. Here’s what was in my bookmap:

                  <backmatter>

                  <booklists>

                                     <glossarylist>

                                                       <mapref href="PharmacyLine_glossary.ditamap"/>

                  </glossarylist>

                  <indexlist/>

                  </booklists>

                  </backmatter>

                  Based on Bob’s sample, I removed the glossarylist and mapref and added the topicheads and topicresf directly to my bookmap.

                  Now I’m trying to figure out how to remove the topicheads from my TOC and how to change the font in the TOC so the Glossary entry matches the other TOC entries.

                  Thanks,

                  Qiana