RE: [dita-users] Adding one .dita file to .ditamap changes transformation of whole document?!

  • Tracy Baker
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 8, 2012
      You may find the build with the added topic works as expected, if you duplicate the built-in/default PDF transformation, and on the Parameters tab of the transformation scenario, change clean.out to Yes. (The default is No.)
      When I was newer at DITA and DITA-OT, I spent hours and hours troubleshooting symptoms that were related to the output directory being retained between incremental PDF transformations. Changing this one parameter fixed 99% of those issues, because each time you transform, you get the proverbial "clean slate".

      HTH,
      Tracy

      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 8, 2012
        Hi Tracy,

        That is a fantastic tip, and I have changed my transformation accordingly, as I admit I was wondering when my "Out" folder would get purged!

        Unfortunately, that doesn't fix the issue I'm having. I've carried on troubleshooting, and I've narrowed it down to certain image files. I'm now unsure whether it's a DITA issue or an Oxygen issue, as there are certain image files that consistently fail to load in Oxygen, and those are the files that cause issues with the build. I'm not sure whether that's correlation or causation, though.

        Details about the images:

        All the files are screenshots saved as .png files;
        all are located in an Images file that's in the same directory as the dita files and ditamap;
        all files are named with lowercase letters and numbers (no spaces or other characters) ending in .png. Example of failed filenames are "edit_mc1.png" and "edit_mc2.png", but "edit_mc3.png" is fine.
        The files vary between 2KB and 86KB, although the ones that fail are never uniformly a certain size range - one that failed is 71KB, but others are 17KB, 15KB, 19KB. Nothing excessive.
        All were screenshots saved through Paint (yeah, we're high-budget here).

        Sorry to come back again - I do appreciate the tip, as I'm definitely in need of any tips and tricks I can get! - but in this case it didn't solve the issue. I'd like to figure out what's going on with the images, whether there's anything I can do to stop some of them failing.

        Thanks all!
        Mary

        --- In dita-users@yahoogroups.com, Tracy Baker <t.baker@...> wrote:

        > You may find the build with the added topic works as expected, if you duplicate the built-in/default PDF transformation, and on the Parameters tab of the transformation scenario, change clean.out to Yes. (The default is No.)
        > When I was newer at DITA and DITA-OT, I spent hours and hours troubleshooting symptoms that were related to the output directory being retained between incremental PDF transformations. Changing this one parameter fixed 99% of those issues, because each time you transform, you get the proverbial "clean slate".
        >
        > HTH,
        > Tracy

      • Erlend Leganger
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 8, 2012
          On 8 March 2012 18:10, mtillinghast <mary.leneis@...> wrote:
          Unfortunately, that doesn't fix the issue I'm having. I've carried on troubleshooting, and I've narrowed it down to certain image files. I'm now unsure whether it's a DITA issue or an Oxygen issue, as there are certain image files that consistently fail to load in Oxygen, and those are the files that cause issues with the build. I'm not sure whether that's correlation or causation, though.

          I have had builds mysteriously fail like this, in my cases it was caused by one or more images being corrupt - I had messed up in some way when creating the image file. It usually is enough to click through the images in an image viewer - those that are corrupt will not show properly in the viewer.

          Alternatively you can comment out images until the document builds correctly and then add them in one by one, after ensuring that the image file (*.png) you include indeed is a proper image.

          - Erlend
        • Radu Coravu
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 9, 2012
            Hi Mary,

            About the "clean.output" parameter, it is only available in the
            customized DITA Open Toolkit which comes bundled with Oxygen.
            But I think that the DITA Open Toolkit might benefit from it so I added
            a request here:

            > https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3500331&group_id=132728&atid=725074

            I attempted a possible answer for your problem here:

            > http://www.oxygenxml.com/forum/post20905.html#p20905

            But of course if you can attach the entire console output coming from
            the DITA Open Toolkit (which can be found in the DITA Transformation
            tab) while publishing we might be able to spot some problems in it.

            Regards,
            Radu

            Radu Coravu
            http://www.oxygenxml.com

          • mtillinghast
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 9, 2012
              Thank you, Erlend! I will use your commenting out suggestion (easier than my "delete-and-try-to-remember-where-it-was" method). I've looked at the image in Windows Explorer preview, in Paint, and in Windows Photo Viewer and the images look fine in all of those - not to say they aren't corrupted in some other way, not sure. I will probably try to do the screenshots from scratch to get around the issue.

              Thank you for your help!
              Mary

              --- In dita-users@yahoogroups.com, Erlend Leganger <eleganger@...> wrote:

              > On 8 March 2012 18:10, mtillinghast <mary.leneis@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Unfortunately, that doesn't fix the issue I'm having. I've carried on
              > > troubleshooting, and I've narrowed it down to certain image files. I'm now
              > > unsure whether it's a DITA issue or an Oxygen issue, as there are certain
              > > image files that consistently fail to load in Oxygen, and those are the
              > > files that cause issues with the build. I'm not sure whether that's
              > > correlation or causation, though.
              >

              > I have had builds mysteriously fail like this, in my cases it was caused by
              > one or more images being corrupt - I had messed up in some way when
              > creating the image file. It usually is enough to click through the images
              > in an image viewer - those that are corrupt will not show properly in the
              > viewer.
              >
              > Alternatively you can comment out images until the document builds
              > correctly and then add them in one by one, after ensuring that the image
              > file (*.png) you include indeed is a proper image.
              >
              > - Erlend

            • mtillinghast
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 9, 2012
                Hello again Radu! You're everywhere, aren't you?!

                Thank you again! I'll go reply to your post in the Oxygen forums. Good point about .png files requiring more memory, I hadn't thought of that. I'll go through and check but it probably is the screenshots of larger windows - didn't think to check the content of the images!

                Thanks again,
                Mary

                --- In dita-users@yahoogroups.com, Radu Coravu <radu_coravu@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > > solve the issue. I'd like to figure out what's going on with the images,
                > > whether there's anything I can do to stop some of them failing.
                > >
                > > Thanks all!
                > > Mary
                > >
                > > --- In dita-users@yahoogroups.com <mailto:dita-users%40yahoogroups.com>,
                > > Tracy Baker <t.baker@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > You may find the build with the added topic works as expected, if you
                > > duplicate the built-in/default PDF transformation, and on the Parameters
                > > tab of the transformation scenario, change clean.out to Yes. (The
                > > default is No.)
                > > > When I was newer at DITA and DITA-OT, I spent hours and hours
                > > troubleshooting symptoms that were related to the output directory being
                > > retained between incremental PDF transformations. Changing this one
                > > parameter fixed 99% of those issues, because each time you transform,

              • Christophe Menschaert
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 9, 2012
                  Hi Mary,

                  Not sure if Paint has anything to do with it, but incomplete header information in the PNG could cause the fact that some of the PNGs are not visible in Oxygen.

                  There are a number of other image freewares out there which could help you to test it (Irfanview, XnView). You can use them to see if the header info is complete or even save as a new image.

                  Also have a look at the image properties in Oxygen. Do you have all necessary attributes set correctly (DPI, Size ,...)

                  Regards,

                  Christophe
                  On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 6:10 PM, mtillinghast <mary.leneis@...> wrote:

                  Hi Tracy,

                  That is a fantastic tip, and I have changed my transformation accordingly, as I admit I was wondering when my "Out" folder would get purged!

                  Unfortunately, that doesn't fix the issue I'm having. I've carried on troubleshooting, and I've narrowed it down to certain image files. I'm now unsure whether it's a DITA issue or an Oxygen issue, as there are certain image files that consistently fail to load in Oxygen, and those are the files that cause issues with the build. I'm not sure whether that's correlation or causation, though.

                  Details about the images:

                  All the files are screenshots saved as .png files;
                  all are located in an Images file that's in the same directory as the dita files and ditamap;
                  all files are named with lowercase letters and numbers (no spaces or other characters) ending in .png. Example of failed filenames are "edit_mc1.png" and "edit_mc2.png", but "edit_mc3.png" is fine.
                  The files vary between 2KB and 86KB, although the ones that fail are never uniformly a certain size range - one that failed is 71KB, but others are 17KB, 15KB, 19KB. Nothing excessive.
                  All were screenshots saved through Paint (yeah, we're high-budget here).

                  Sorry to come back again - I do appreciate the tip, as I'm definitely in need of any tips and tricks I can get! - but in this case it didn't solve the issue. I'd like to figure out what's going on with the images, whether there's anything I can do to stop some of them failing.

                  Thanks all!
                  Mary

                  --- In dita-users@yahoogroups.com, Tracy Baker <t.baker@...> wrote:

                  > You may find the build with the added topic works as expected, if you duplicate the built-in/default PDF transformation, and on the Parameters tab of the transformation scenario, change clean.out to Yes. (The default is No.)
                  > When I was newer at DITA and DITA-OT, I spent hours and hours troubleshooting symptoms that were related to the output directory being retained between incremental PDF transformations. Changing this one parameter fixed 99% of those issues, because each time you transform, you get the proverbial "clean slate".
                  >
                  > HTH,
                  > Tracy

                • mtillinghast
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 9, 2012
                    Thank you, Christophe!

                    I do seem to have solved the issue by using Picnik (not Paint!) to re-save the images as jpegs. So the issue is now resolved, and my dubiousness regarding Paint is reaffirmed.

                    Thanks for the assistance!!
                    Mary

                    --- In dita-users@yahoogroups.com, Christophe Menschaert <christophe.menschaert@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > > need of any tips and tricks I can get! - but in this case it didn't solve
                    > > the issue. I'd like to figure out what's going on with the images, whether
                    > > there's anything I can do to stop some of them failing.
                    > >
                    > > Thanks all!
                    > > Mary
                    > >
                    > > --- In dita-users@yahoogroups.com, Tracy Baker <t.baker@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > You may find the build with the added topic works as expected, if you
                    > > duplicate the built-in/default PDF transformation, and on the Parameters
                    > > tab of the transformation scenario, change clean.out to Yes. (The default
                    > > is No.)
                    > > > When I was newer at DITA and DITA-OT, I spent hours and hours
                    > > troubleshooting symptoms that were related to the output directory being
                    > > retained between incremental PDF transformations. Changing this one
                    > > parameter fixed 99% of those issues, because each time you transform, you

                  • medleyj_64119
                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 9, 2012
                      Commenting things out a good test approach, but it's faster if you do it by halves instead of a line at a time. If I'm telling you something you already know, please forgive.

                      Comment out half the content of the offending document and compile. Whether it works will tell you which half has the offending code or image. Focus on that half and repeat. As I said, this way is faster, especially with larger files. For example, consider a hypothetical document where the body element has 40 children. It will never take more than six rounds of commenting (20, 10, 5, 3, 2, 1) to find the offending line. Of course, nesting means your "havles" may not be exactly half, and this can add a round or two. The numbers in the "halves" don't need to be exact. I usually just eyeball it. I leave blank lines in the document to keep track of my "halves".

                      --- In dita-users@yahoogroups.com, Erlend Leganger <eleganger@...> wrote:

                      > On 8 March 2012 18:10, mtillinghast <mary.leneis@...> wrote:
                      >
                      > > Unfortunately, that doesn't fix the issue I'm having. I've carried on
                      > > troubleshooting, and I've narrowed it down to certain image files. I'm now
                      > > unsure whether it's a DITA issue or an Oxygen issue, as there are certain
                      > > image files that consistently fail to load in Oxygen, and those are the
                      > > files that cause issues with the build. I'm not sure whether that's
                      > > correlation or causation, though.
                      >

                      > I have had builds mysteriously fail like this, in my cases it was caused by
                      > one or more images being corrupt - I had messed up in some way when
                      > creating the image file. It usually is enough to click through the images
                      > in an image viewer - those that are corrupt will not show properly in the
                      > viewer.
                      >
                      > Alternatively you can comment out images until the document builds
                      > correctly and then add them in one by one, after ensuring that the image
                      > file (*.png) you include indeed is a proper image.
                      >
                      > - Erlend

                    • matt_kaatman
                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 9, 2012
                        I am having an extremely similar problem with Oxygen 13.2.

                        I am losing an entire chapter of topics in the PDF. I've just solved all my warnings and errors and it's still happening. I haven't quite isolated it yet but I expect I'll figure it out on Monday.

                        For what it's worth, I'm having this problem with 1.5.3 and 1.5.4.

                        I have both versions of the OT installed and then pointed dita.dir to them within Oxygen. Xmetal is building the PDF properly. Using Apache FOP in all instances.

                        --- In dita-users@yahoogroups.com, "mtillinghast" <maryt@...> wrote:

                        > Hello,
                        >
                        > N00b and first post here - sorry for the lengthiness but want to give complete background as this is an issue that doesn't make sense to me and wondered if anyone knows the cause?
                        >
                        > Using Oxygen Editor 13.2 (which contains DITA OT 1.5.4), I'm building a small PDF out of a dozen small .dita files. The ditamap and each file validates and is well-formed (not definitive, I know). I have had build errors in the past, so am troubleshooting by building the ditamap up one file at a time to make sure it builds. All files and the ditamap are in the same directory.
                        >
                        > I've just reached a point where the ditamap builds a PDF just fine (using default DITA Map PDF predefined scenario, no customisation to transformation at all yet). As soon as I add the next file and click Apply Transformation Scenario (same process as I have been using all along), it appears to build successfully but the built PDF is a single-topic output with one of the Oxygen sample files and NONE of the files in the ditamap, including the newly-added file (a build I did last week, with a different filename - I then deleted that ditamap and emptied the Recycle Bin).
                        >
                        > It's definitely the new file - if I pull it out of the ditamap, it builds a PDF that looks as expected. I put the file back in and build, I get the PDF with none of the other topics in the ditamap, just one of the sample flower files that came with Oxygen.
                        >
                        > The file itself is valid and I'm editing it in text mode, not seeing anything that could be referring to the sample flower file.
                        >
                        > I've created a new ditamap, and again it builds fine up to the problem file, and when I add that one, it claims to have built a PDF but the file doesn't exist at the end. (I'm assuming this is the same root cause as the other ditamap's symptom - presumably the not-building-a-PDF has resulted in the transformation finding a ghost PDF from last week to open instead in the first ditamap's case.)
                        >
                        > I'm going to try re-creating the problem file, but does anyone know why this has happened or what I should look for? I'm at a bit of a loss since the transformation log seems to go fine and it claims it builds properly, so no error messages there to go on!
                        >
                        > Thanks for any help!
                        > -Mary

                      • mtillinghast
                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 12, 2012
                          Thank you, that's a great point! I used to use that method when troubleshooting extensions conflicts in Mac OS 9 and earlier - not sure I'd have thought to do the same here, so I appreciate the tip!!

                          --- In dita-users@yahoogroups.com, "medleyj_64119" <medleyj_64119@...> wrote:

                          > Commenting things out a good test approach, but it's faster if you do it by halves instead of a line at a time. If I'm telling you something you already know, please forgive.
                          >
                          > Comment out half the content of the offending document and compile. Whether it works will tell you which half has the offending code or image. Focus on that half and repeat. As I said, this way is faster, especially with larger files. For example, consider a hypothetical document where the body element has 40 children. It will never take more than six rounds of commenting (20, 10, 5, 3, 2, 1) to find the offending line. Of course, nesting means your "havles" may not be exactly half, and this can add a round or two. The numbers in the "halves" don't need to be exact. I usually just eyeball it. I leave blank lines in the document to keep track of my "halves".
                          >
                          > --- In dita-users@yahoogroups.com, Erlend Leganger <eleganger@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > On 8 March 2012 18:10, mtillinghast <mary.leneis@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > > Unfortunately, that doesn't fix the issue I'm having. I've carried on
                          > > > troubleshooting, and I've narrowed it down to certain image files. I'm now
                          > > > unsure whether it's a DITA issue or an Oxygen issue, as there are certain
                          > > > image files that consistently fail to load in Oxygen, and those are the
                          > > > files that cause issues with the build. I'm not sure whether that's
                          > > > correlation or causation, though.
                          > >

                          > > I have had builds mysteriously fail like this, in my cases it was caused by
                          > > one or more images being corrupt - I had messed up in some way when
                          > > creating the image file. It usually is enough to click through the images
                          > > in an image viewer - those that are corrupt will not show properly in the
                          > > viewer.
                          > >
                          > > Alternatively you can comment out images until the document builds
                          > > correctly and then add them in one by one, after ensuring that the image
                          > > file (*.png) you include indeed is a proper image.
                          > >
                          > > - Erlend

                        • Radu Coravu
                          Message 12 of 17 , Mar 12, 2012
                            Hi Matt,

                            Maybe you can copy the entire content of the "DITA Transformation"
                            console tab after the transformation finishes and then attach it to a reply.
                            It might give us more details.

                            Regards,
                            Radu

                            Radu Coravu
                            http://www.oxygenxml.com

                          • mtillinghast
                            Message 13 of 17 , Mar 12, 2012
                              I'm far from being at a point of being able to assist anyone - you're sure the "print" attribute is set to "yes", right? - but I got a lot of help from someone in Oxygen support on the Oxygen forums. They're very responsive and helpful!

                              Good luck with this!
                              Mary

                              --- In dita-users@yahoogroups.com, "matt_kaatman" <mkaatman@...> wrote:

                              > I am having an extremely similar problem with Oxygen 13.2.
                              >
                              > I am losing an entire chapter of topics in the PDF. I've just solved all my warnings and errors and it's still happening. I haven't quite isolated it yet but I expect I'll figure it out on Monday.
                              >
                              > For what it's worth, I'm having this problem with 1.5.3 and 1.5.4.
                              >
                              > I have both versions of the OT installed and then pointed dita.dir to them within Oxygen. Xmetal is building the PDF properly. Using Apache FOP in all instances.
                              >
                              > --- In dita-users@yahoogroups.com, "mtillinghast" <maryt@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Hello,
                              > >
                              > > N00b and first post here - sorry for the lengthiness but want to give complete background as this is an issue that doesn't make sense to me and wondered if anyone knows the cause?
                              > >
                              > > Using Oxygen Editor 13.2 (which contains DITA OT 1.5.4), I'm building a small PDF out of a dozen small .dita files. The ditamap and each file validates and is well-formed (not definitive, I know). I have had build errors in the past, so am troubleshooting by building the ditamap up one file at a time to make sure it builds. All files and the ditamap are in the same directory.
                              > >
                              > > I've just reached a point where the ditamap builds a PDF just fine (using default DITA Map PDF predefined scenario, no customisation to transformation at all yet). As soon as I add the next file and click Apply Transformation Scenario (same process as I have been using all along), it appears to build successfully but the built PDF is a single-topic output with one of the Oxygen sample files and NONE of the files in the ditamap, including the newly-added file (a build I did last week, with a different filename - I then deleted that ditamap and emptied the Recycle Bin).
                              > >
                              > > It's definitely the new file - if I pull it out of the ditamap, it builds a PDF that looks as expected. I put the file back in and build, I get the PDF with none of the other topics in the ditamap, just one of the sample flower files that came with Oxygen.
                              > >
                              > > The file itself is valid and I'm editing it in text mode, not seeing anything that could be referring to the sample flower file.
                              > >
                              > > I've created a new ditamap, and again it builds fine up to the problem file, and when I add that one, it claims to have built a PDF but the file doesn't exist at the end. (I'm assuming this is the same root cause as the other ditamap's symptom - presumably the not-building-a-PDF has resulted in the transformation finding a ghost PDF from last week to open instead in the first ditamap's case.)
                              > >
                              > > I'm going to try re-creating the problem file, but does anyone know why this has happened or what I should look for? I'm at a bit of a loss since the transformation log seems to go fine and it claims it builds properly, so no error messages there to go on!
                              > >
                              > > Thanks for any help!
                              > > -Mary

                            • matt_kaatman
                              Message 14 of 17 , Mar 12, 2012
                                Hello Radu,

                                Here is my output:
                                http://pastebin.ca/2127432

                                You'll see that I have a couple of duplicate warnings on the xsl (which I don't quite understand yet) and no serious errors.

                                This is one of the files that is not being included in the final output. It seems to be the first three chapters where no topics show up.

                                [xslt] Processing C:\dita\products\previcolor\EN\temp\products\previcolor\EN\user\c_HowtoUseIntroduction.xml to C:\dita\products\previcolor\EN\temp\products\previcolor\EN\user\c_HowtoUseIntroduction.xml.pull

                                I am just starting to continue troubleshooting this issue so I'll report back if I solve it.

                                Thanks!
                                Matt

                              • matt_kaatman
                                Message 15 of 17 , Mar 12, 2012
                                  Radu,

                                  I got it. Despite having clean.temp and clean.out set to yes, my output wasn't being cleaned. Once I manually removed the files, Oxygen generates everything correctly.

                                  In addition, it's properly cleaning output now so I'm not sure what was going on.

                                  Thanks!
                                  Matt

                                • Radu Coravu
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Mar 13, 2012
                                    Hi Matt,

                                    The reason why the publishing started working after removing the output
                                    directory is the one explained here:

                                    I do not know why the clean.output was not cleaning the output folder,
                                    maybe you had an application which kept a lock on one of the files
                                    inside the output folder.

                                    Regards,
                                    Radu

                                    Radu Coravu