Appendix Orientation

  • ambermattson86
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 6, 2009
      Does anyone know which stylesheet(s) are involved with the appendix tag? We use it and as of right now it is treated like a regular chapter and I am not sure where this is happening at. Our goal is to have the appendices landscape while everything else remains portrait if that helps clarify what I am looking for...

      thanks,
      Amber M.
    • Paul Masalsky
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 6, 2009
        Most bookmap appendix processing is in xsl\fo\commons.xsl, in a template called processTopicAppendix.

        Paul Masalsky - paulmasalsky@...

        Does anyone know which stylesheet(s) are involved with the appendix tag? We use it and as of right now it is treated like a regular chapter and I am not sure where this is happening at. Our goal is to have the appendices landscape while everything else remains portrait if that helps clarify what I am looking for...

        thanks,
        Amber M.

      • jannylund
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 7, 2009
          Hi Amber!

          I suppose you are using the pdf2 transtype?

          > Does anyone know which stylesheet(s) are involved with the appendix tag? We use it and
          > as of right now it is treated like a regular chapter and I am not sure where this is
          > happening at. Our goal is to have the appendices landscape while everything else remains
          > portrait if that helps clarify what I am looking for...

          Default behavior in pdf2 is that the appendix uses the page-sequence named "body-sequence".
          You will need to create a new page-sequence that is only used by your appendix and give it the correct landscape sizes.

          Since the pdf2 plugin currently creates all of fo:layout-master-set inside one template,
          you need to duplicate the template "createDefaultLayoutMasters" from the file
          "fo/cfg/fo/layout-masters.xsl" to your customization folder and make the modifications
          there (switching width and height to get landscape).

          To take the new page-sequence into use, you need to override the template named "processTopicAppendix" in the file "xsl/fo/commons.xsl".

          Regards,
          Jan Nylund
        • ambermattson86
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 8, 2009
            --- In dita-users@yahoogroups.com, "jannylund" <jan.nylund@...> wrote:

            > Hi Amber!
            >
            > I suppose you are using the pdf2 transtype?
            >
            > > Does anyone know which stylesheet(s) are involved with the appendix tag? We use it and
            > > as of right now it is treated like a regular chapter and I am not sure where this is
            > > happening at. Our goal is to have the appendices landscape while everything else remains
            > > portrait if that helps clarify what I am looking for...
            >
            > Default behavior in pdf2 is that the appendix uses the page-sequence named "body-sequence".
            > You will need to create a new page-sequence that is only used by your appendix and give it the correct landscape sizes.
            >
            > Since the pdf2 plugin currently creates all of fo:layout-master-set inside one template,
            > you need to duplicate the template "createDefaultLayoutMasters" from the file
            > "fo/cfg/fo/layout-masters.xsl" to your customization folder and make the modifications
            > there (switching width and height to get landscape).
            >
            > To take the new page-sequence into use, you need to override the template named "processTopicAppendix" in the file "xsl/fo/commons.xsl".
            >
            > Regards,
            > Jan Nylund

            Thanks! I will have to give that a try.
          • ambermattson86
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 13, 2009
              --- In dita-users@yahoogroups.com, "jannylund" <jan.nylund@...> wrote:

              > Hi Amber!
              >
              > I suppose you are using the pdf2 transtype?
              >
              > > Does anyone know which stylesheet(s) are involved with the appendix tag? We use it and
              > > as of right now it is treated like a regular chapter and I am not sure where this is
              > > happening at. Our goal is to have the appendices landscape while everything else remains
              > > portrait if that helps clarify what I am looking for...
              >
              > Default behavior in pdf2 is that the appendix uses the page-sequence named "body-sequence".
              > You will need to create a new page-sequence that is only used by your appendix and give it the correct landscape sizes.
              >
              > Since the pdf2 plugin currently creates all of fo:layout-master-set inside one template,
              > you need to duplicate the template "createDefaultLayoutMasters" from the file
              > "fo/cfg/fo/layout-masters.xsl" to your customization folder and make the modifications
              > there (switching width and height to get landscape).
              >
              > To take the new page-sequence into use, you need to override the template named "processTopicAppendix" in the file "xsl/fo/commons.xsl".
              >
              > Regards,
              > Jan Nylund

              Hello,

              I have successfully separated my appendix from the body and all is processing correctly as far as that goes. However, I still cannot seem to get the appendix to actually go landscape. I forgot to mention that I am using XMetal 5.5 in my previous post. fo/cfg/fo/layout-masters.xsl is not used in our processing. However, xm_baseline_attrs.xsl is used and I think this is the file that is stopping the layout from flipping. Specifically, this part:

              <xsl:param name="xm.page.orientation" select="'portrait'"/>
              <xsl:param name="xm.paper.type" select= "'letter'"/>

              <xsl:param name="xm.page.height.portrait">
              <xsl:choose>
              <xsl:when test="$xm.paper.type = 'letter'">11in</xsl:when>
              <xsl:when test="$xm.paper.type = 'legal'">14in</xsl:when>
              <xsl:when test="$xm.paper.type = 'tabloid'">17in</xsl:when>
              <xsl:when test="$xm.paper.type = 'A0'">1189mm</xsl:when>
              <xsl:when test="$xm.paper.type = 'A1'">841mm</xsl:when>
              <xsl:when test="$xm.paper.type = 'A2'">594mm</xsl:when>
              <xsl:when test="$xm.paper.type = 'A3'">420mm</xsl:when>
              <xsl:when test="$xm.paper.type = 'A4'">297mm</xsl:when>
              <xsl:when test="$xm.paper.type = 'A5'">210mm</xsl:when>
              <xsl:when test="$xm.paper.type = 'A6'">148mm</xsl:when>
              <xsl:when test="$xm.paper.type = 'A7'">105mm</xsl:when>
              <xsl:otherwise>11in</xsl:otherwise>
              </xsl:choose>
              </xsl:param>

              <xsl:param name="xm.page.width.portrait">
              <xsl:choose>
              <xsl:when test="$xm.paper.type = 'letter'">8.5in</xsl:when>
              <xsl:when test="$xm.paper.type = 'legal'">8.5in</xsl:when>
              <xsl:when test="$xm.paper.type = 'tabloid'">11in</xsl:when>
              <xsl:when test="$xm.paper.type = 'A0'">841mm</xsl:when>
              <xsl:when test="$xm.paper.type = 'A1'">594mm</xsl:when>
              <xsl:when test="$xm.paper.type = 'A2'">420mm</xsl:when>
              <xsl:when test="$xm.paper.type = 'A3'">297mm</xsl:when>
              <xsl:when test="$xm.paper.type = 'A4'">210mm</xsl:when>
              <xsl:when test="$xm.paper.type = 'A5'">148mm</xsl:when>
              <xsl:when test="$xm.paper.type = 'A6'">105mm</xsl:when>
              <xsl:when test="$xm.paper.type = 'A7'">74mm</xsl:when>
              <xsl:otherwise>8.5in</xsl:otherwise>
              </xsl:choose>
              </xsl:param>

              <xsl:param name="xm.page.height">
              <xsl:choose>
              <xsl:when test="$xm.page.orientation = 'portrait'">
              <xsl:value-of select="$xm.page.height.portrait"/>
              </xsl:when>
              <xsl:otherwise>
              <xsl:value-of select="$xm.page.width.portrait"/>
              </xsl:otherwise>
              </xsl:choose>
              </xsl:param>

              <xsl:param name="xm.page.width">
              <xsl:choose>
              <xsl:when test="$xm.page.orientation = 'portrait'">
              <xsl:value-of select="$xm.page.width.portrait"/>
              </xsl:when>
              <xsl:otherwise>
              <xsl:value-of select="$xm.page.height.portrait"/>
              </xsl:otherwise>
              </xsl:choose>
              </xsl:param>

              I'm not sure if this is default XMetal Code or if this was added by someone from this company. My idea is to be able to override this and use the individual layout masters for the appendix to give the page dimensions:

              <fo:simple-page-master
              master-name="appendix-even"
              page-width="279.4mm"
              page-height="215.9mm">
              <fo:region-body
              margin-top="20mm"
              margin-bottom="20mm"
              margin-left="20mm"
              margin-right="20mm"/>
              <fo:region-before extent="20mm"
              display-align="before"
              region-name="even-appendix-header"/>
              <fo:region-after extent="20mm"
              display-align="after"
              region-name="even-appendix-footer"/>
              </fo:simple-page-master>

              By changing the page-width and page-height only for the appendix I feel like I would get them in landscape as long as nothing is overriding that. Does this seem like a good idea? If it does, I am not entirely sure how to get it to override anything else. I am fairly new at this and none of my other attempted overrides have been very successful.

              Thanks,

              Amber
            • ambermattson86
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 14, 2009
                Disregard that last message, I figured it out :-)
              • Mark Peters
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 14, 2009
                  Hi Amber,

                  What was the fix? I'm not trying to change the orientation of my PDF
                  output, but others might be interested in your findings.

                  Thanks,
                  Mark

                  On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 10:05 AM,

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 14, 2009
                    Well...after I posted that I realized that I still have some issues. The appendix is definitely landscape now, but the way I fixed it created some header/footer issues.

                    The first step is to separate your appendix from the rest of the body-sequence by creating a new page-sequence for the appendix (as Jan Nyland mentioned previously in this topic)

                    For those using xmetal, unfortuntely the rest of Jan's advice won't work for you as the "fo/cfg/fo/layout-masters.xsl" file is not used (somebody correct me if I am wrong...)

                    So for XMetaL users, the solution seems to be to go to Customization\fo\xsl\custom.xsl and comment out the import of xm_layout_master_overrides.xsl I am sure there are other ways to this but I am the lone customization person here (as a summer intern, so it isn't like I have had any formal training whatsoever) and this is the solution that seemed doable to me.

                    This will allow you to go into Customization\fo\layout-masters.xml and change the page-width and page-height in any of the simple-page-masters that you want to be landscape.

                    However, XMetal must do some fancy-schmancy processing in some of their stylesheets with respect to headers and footers, because mine no longer look as they did before. They're still there and all but they are really close to the top of the page. I'm currently trying to figure out what to do about that. If anyone has ideas/suggestions about that I would love to hear them. It is amazing sometimes how fixing one problem opens a whole new can of worms. :-P

                    Amber

                    --- In dita-users@yahoogroups.com, Mark Peters <markpeters.work@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Amber,
                    >
                    > What was the fix? I'm not trying to change the orientation of my PDF
                    > output, but others might be interested in your findings.
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    > Mark
                    >
                    > On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 10:05 AM,
                    > ambermattson86<ambermattson86@...> wrote:
                    > >

                    > > Disregard that last message, I figured it out :-)

                  • Chris Johnson
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 14, 2009
                      Hi Amber,

                      You're on the right track - if you want to specify your page-masters manually you need to comment out the import of xm_layout_master_overrides.xsl.

                      However, as you've seen, this affects the header and footer processing. From the comments in xm_layout_master_overrides.xsl:

                      This override assumes:
                       1. the first page is an odd-numbered page
                       2. the last page is an even-numbered page
                       3. region-before and region-after extents will take their @extent values from the page margin variables

                      It's #3. that's probably causing the problems . Check that the region-before and region-after extents for *all* the simple-page-masters match the values you have specified for $xm.page.margin.top and $xm.page.margin.bottom. The "fancy-schmancy" (LoL) header/footer processing depends on this relationship.

                      Your results may vary, depending  on what else your customization does.

                      HTH,

                      Chris

                      Chris Johnson
                      Solutions Consultant
                      JustSystems Canada

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 14, 2009
                        Chris,

                        That is the first thing that I tried and it didn't work. Logically it makes sense. The weird thing is even though I have all of the region-before and region-after set to 1in, they vary by what simple-page-master they belong to. None of them actually have a 1 inch margin. I also do not think that anyone else has done any customization that would cause this behavior but that is the only explanation that I can think of.

                        Thanks for your help though. If I ever figure out what is going on I will be sure to post my findings.

                        Amber

                        --- In dita-users@yahoogroups.com, "Chris Johnson" <chris.johnson@...> wrote:

                        > Hi Amber,
                        >
                        > You're on the right track - if you want to specify your page-masters
                        > manually you need to comment out the import of
                        > xm_layout_master_overrides.xsl.
                        >
                        > However, as you've seen, this affects the header and footer processing.
                        > From the comments in xm_layout_master_overrides.xsl:
                        >
                        > This override assumes:
                        > 1. the first page is an odd-numbered page
                        > 2. the last page is an even-numbered page
                        > 3. region-before and region-after extents will take their @extent
                        > values from the page margin variables
                        >
                        > It's #3. that's probably causing the problems . Check that the
                        > region-before and region-after extents for *all* the simple-page-masters
                        > match the values you have specified for $xm.page.margin.top and
                        > $xm.page.margin.bottom. The "fancy-schmancy" (LoL) header/footer
                        > processing depends on this relationship.
                        >
                        > Your results may vary, depending on what else your customization does.
                        >
                        > HTH,
                        >
                        > Chris
                        >

                        > Chris Johnson
                        > Solutions Consultant
                        > JustSystems Canada

                      • jannylund
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 15, 2009
                          Hello!

                          > That is the first thing that I tried and it didn't work. Logically it makes sense. The weird
                          > thing is even though I have all of the region-before and region-after set to 1in, they vary
                          > by what simple-page-master they belong to. None of them actually have a 1 inch margin.
                          > I also do not think that anyone else has done any customization that would cause this
                          > behavior but that is the only explanation that I can think of.

                          You should try checking the FO file generated by your conversion. There you can clearly read what extents are set to the different page-masters and it will probably help you track down the problem. You will have to modify the build.xml file for pdf2 to disable the deletion of the FO file. (just comment the whole <delete> call that removes topic.fo).

                          Br,
                          Jan Nylund
                        • ambermattson86
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 15, 2009
                            Where is this FO file once it is generated? I found the build.xml file and the delete was already commented out, so that is taken care of. I'm just not sure where to look for the actual FO file.

                            Thanks!
                            Amber

                            --- In dita-users@yahoogroups.com, "jannylund" <jan.nylund@...> wrote:

                            > Hello!
                            >
                            > > That is the first thing that I tried and it didn't work. Logically it makes sense. The weird
                            > > thing is even though I have all of the region-before and region-after set to 1in, they vary
                            > > by what simple-page-master they belong to. None of them actually have a 1 inch margin.
                            > > I also do not think that anyone else has done any customization that would cause this
                            > > behavior but that is the only explanation that I can think of.
                            >
                            > You should try checking the FO file generated by your conversion. There you can clearly read what extents are set to the different page-masters and it will probably help you track down the problem. You will have to modify the build.xml file for pdf2 to disable the deletion of the FO file. (just comment the whole <delete> call that removes topic.fo).
                            >
                            > Br,
                            > Jan Nylund

                          • jannylund
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 15, 2009
                              > Where is this FO file once it is generated? I found the build.xml file and the delete was
                              > already commented out, so that is taken care of. I'm just not sure where to look for the
                              > actual FO file.

                              In default DITA-OT it's in the same folder as the output pdf (which by default is {folder of input file}/out/). As I don't use XMetaL I can't tell where it's stored in your specific case.

                              Br,
                              Jan
                            • ambermattson86
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jul 15, 2009
                                Ok XMetaL users, the FO file will most likely generate in the same place as your output. (However, I have one bookmap that refuses to generate an FO file that I can actually see...)

                                Here is a sample of what I get:

                                <fo:layout-master-set>
                                <fo:simple-page-master master-name="front-matter-first"
                                page-height="279.4mm" page-width="215.9mm">
                                <fo:region-body margin-bottom="20mm" margin-left="20mm"
                                margin-right="20mm" margin-top="20mm"/>
                                <fo:region-before display-align="before" extent="25.4mm"
                                region-name="first-frontmatter-header"/>
                                <fo:region-after display-align="after" extent="25.4mm"
                                region-name="first-frontmatter-footer"/>
                                </fo:simple-page-master>

                                The rest go on to look the same. This looks exactly like what I want but is definitely not what I am getting.

                                Jan-Thank you for suggesting looking at the FO file-I did not know about that.

                                Amber

                                --- In dita-users@yahoogroups.com, "ambermattson86" <ambermattson86@...> wrote:

                                > Where is this FO file once it is generated? I found the build.xml file and the delete was already commented out, so that is taken care of. I'm just not sure where to look for the actual FO file.
                                >
                                > Thanks!
                                > Amber
                                >
                                > --- In dita-users@yahoogroups.com, "jannylund" <jan.nylund@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Hello!
                                > >
                                > > > That is the first thing that I tried and it didn't work. Logically it makes sense. The weird
                                > > > thing is even though I have all of the region-before and region-after set to 1in, they vary
                                > > > by what simple-page-master they belong to. None of them actually have a 1 inch margin.
                                > > > I also do not think that anyone else has done any customization that would cause this
                                > > > behavior but that is the only explanation that I can think of.
                                > >
                                > > You should try checking the FO file generated by your conversion. There you can clearly read what extents are set to the different page-masters and it will probably help you track down the problem. You will have to modify the build.xml file for pdf2 to disable the deletion of the FO file. (just comment the whole <delete> call that removes topic.fo).
                                > >
                                > > Br,
                                > > Jan Nylund

                              • jannylund
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jul 15, 2009
                                  > Ok XMetaL users, the FO file will most likely generate in the same place as your output.
                                  > (However, I have one bookmap that refuses to generate an FO file that I can actually see...)

                                  When you have the FO file available, I suggest you try locating the problematic places and add the correct settings to get the look you want. Again I can't tell how to use XMetaL, but you can convert the FO to PDF directly by using fop. Try for example adding a background color on the areas that cause issues so you see the actual sizes of them, etc.

                                  One thing I note is that your top and bottom margins on the body region are smaller than the extent you use (20mm vs 25.4mm). This may cause your header content to appear behind your body content.

                                  Br,
                                  Jan
                                • ambermattson86
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jul 16, 2009
                                    Ok everyone, I got the headers and footers working correctly, too.

                                    The following example will give you a landscape page with 1 inch margins on top and .5 inch on each side:

                                    <fo:simple-page-master
                                    master-name="appendix-odd"
                                    page-width="11in"
                                    page-height="8.5in">
                                    <fo:region-body
                                    margin-top="1in"
                                    margin-bottom="1in"
                                    margin-left=".5in"
                                    margin-right=".5in"/>
                                    <fo:region-before extent="1in"
                                    display-align="after"
                                    region-name="odd-appendix-header"/>
                                    <fo:region-after extent="1in"
                                    display-align="before"
                                    region-name="odd-appendix-footer"/>
                                    </fo:simple-page-master>

                                    The DITA-OT has display-align="before" for the region-before and display-align="after" for region-after. I sort of understand why I had to do it the opposite way, but I am not sure enough to try to explain it. I had tried switching that around earlier and the result was no headers or footers because I did not have my margins and extents set up correctly.

                                    The way I figured out what was wrong was by using Oxygen, having the topic.fo open from my desired results (In my case this was the output that I would get when using the XMetaL stylesheets to override the layout-masters.xml one) and then having the topic.fo open from the output I was getting from the bad one. I then just went through and looked at what values everything had and tried to make the bad one match the desired one.

                                    Thanks to everyone that helped!

                                    Amber