Re: DITA as book

  • Julio Vaquez
    Message 1 of 3 , May 1, 2009
      I can definitely say that transforming to RTF to produce a book is not only sub-optimal, it's downright ugly. Your best bet is to try to create PDF that meets your requirements.

      Julio J. Vazquez
      SDI Global Solutions

      --- In dita-users@yahoogroups.com, Deborah Pickett <debbiep-list-ditausers@...> wrote:

      > siona44 wrote:
      > > The situation is that this book might be published by a book publisher, but a lot of the material will also be used in a technical manual for the company's end-users.
      > > So here is the flip side.....if it is produced in DITA to begin (a lengthy process and difficult to see the progress of the book), what do you think about migrating it from DITA to Word (or something like that) based on the publisher's requirements?
      >
      > Hi Jan,
      >
      > (Let's keep this on the list where people can all benefit from the
      > discussion.)
      >
      > Find out what formats the publisher will accept. I bet PDF is among
      > them. DITA to PDF is a known quantity; many people use DITA-OT to do
      > just that conversion.
      >
      > That would mean you would have to write the whole book in DITA, which I
      > think is less of an imposition than you might believe. If you really
      > want to author the shared stuff in DITA, convert it to a word processor
      > format, and then add the book-only content in the word processor, then
      > that's possible: publish from DITA to RTF or HTML, and let the word
      > processor import that. Obviously, I think that doing this is sub-optimal.

    • Joe Gelb
      Message 2 of 3 , May 1, 2009

        For what it’s worth… we have a dita-ot plug-in that transforms FO to WordML (using an affordable 3rd party tool). This allows us to create one XSL-FO style sheet to get PDF but then generate a Word file that looks exactly like the PDF (because it uses the same FO file). To get the Word TOC, index and other stuff working we do some additional XSL work on the WordML as part of the dita-ot plug-in.

        If anyone is interested in hearing more about this, let me know.

        Joe

        Joe Gelb
        President, Suite Solutions
        Member, OASIS DITA Adoption Committee