Re: [dita-users] Syntax Diagrams - Railway track output

  • Deborah Pickett
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 27, 2008
      Hi Jennifer,

      On Tue, October 28, 2008 04:55, Jennifer Wickman wrote:
      > I'm looking for a way to create railway track type formatting in PDF
      > output. Has anyone had any luck creating any kind of acceptable output for
      > syntax diagrams from DITA (railway track or oterhwise)?

      I never got around to integrating the Plus Plugins syntaxdiagram-to-SVG
      code into a PDF transformation. Mostly that was because of what I
      perceived as limitations in the pdf2 transform, not making it easy to add
      pipeline stages to the build. (Also, I have till now only needed to do
      HTML-based transforms.)

      But the plugin that does the syntaxdiagram-to-SVG conversion (called
      syntaxdiagram2svg) is designed to be integrated into other processes, so
      if you have a programmer who is familiar with the Arbortext build system,
      I can explain to them the API and how to invoke syntaxdiagram2svg. You
      need an XSLT 1.0 processor to produce the SVG, and a JavaScript-aware SVG
      renderer (I use Batik) to dynamically size the syntax diagram to envelop
      the text that each box contains.

      The ASCII-art diagrams that you see in the reference manuals was generated
      by a proprietary program owned by IBM. It wasn't released when DITA-OT
      was open-sourced. My syntaxdiagram2svg implementation is coded from
      scratch and is available under the same open-source terms as DITA-OT.
    • Jennifer Wickman
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 4, 2008
        That's great news. I'd really love to find a way to integrate your syntax diagram builder into Arbortext. I'll talk to a programmer and see if he can help me out with this. Where can I download syntaxdiagram2svg?

        Thanks!

        Jennifer

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 5, 2008
          I've talked to one of our programmers and he's interested in helping out with this.  Can we take this discussion off list until we get it up an going? At that point I'll share what we did to get it working with the group.

          Please e-mail me at jwickman@....

          My developer would like to know whether you can recommend docs that we should read to learn about the build system and if you could please send an example of invoking syntaxdiagram2svg to help us get started.

          Thanks in advance!

          Jennifer

          On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 6:19 PM, Deborah Pickett <debbiep-list-ditausers@...> wrote:

          Hi Jennifer,

          On Tue, October 28, 2008 04:55, Jennifer Wickman wrote:
          > I'm looking for a way to create railway track type formatting in PDF
          > output. Has anyone had any luck creating any kind of acceptable output for
          > syntax diagrams from DITA (railway track or oterhwise)?

          I never got around to integrating the Plus Plugins syntaxdiagram-to-SVG
          code into a PDF transformation. Mostly that was because of what I
          perceived as limitations in the pdf2 transform, not making it easy to add
          pipeline stages to the build. (Also, I have till now only needed to do
          HTML-based transforms.)

          But the plugin that does the syntaxdiagram-to-SVG conversion (called
          syntaxdiagram2svg) is designed to be integrated into other processes, so
          if you have a programmer who is familiar with the Arbortext build system,
          I can explain to them the API and how to invoke syntaxdiagram2svg. You
          need an XSLT 1.0 processor to produce the SVG, and a JavaScript-aware SVG
          renderer (I use Batik) to dynamically size the syntax diagram to envelop
          the text that each box contains.

          The ASCII-art diagrams that you see in the reference manuals was generated
          by a proprietary program owned by IBM. It wasn't released when DITA-OT
          was open-sourced. My syntaxdiagram2svg implementation is coded from
          scratch and is available under the same open-source terms as DITA-OT.

        • samsonova_elena
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 11
            Hi everyone,
            I realise this is an old thread, but I've got the same problem as Jennifer here. I'm setting up a DITA environment for our documentation and we've got a lot of syntax to write, which we do with <syntaxdiagram> constructs. Your Plus Plugin produce brilliant railroad diagrams for HTML, but I also need them for PDF. Has anyone managed to make it work for PDF?

            Many thanks!
            Elena
          • julio_v27612
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 12
              Hi Elena,
              As far as I know, nobody has taken this on. I attempted it once but everything in the Plus plugins is based on things that work in HTML. The problem is coming up with FO that mimics that processing (or coming up with Java classes to do the right thing) and that was beyond where I was comfortable going. I attempted a different approach and tried to get the plugin to create SVG of the syntaxdiagram and embed the generated image but wasn't successful with that attempt either.
              Life got in the way and I had to drop that attempt.

              Julio J. Vazquez
              Write Spirit
              http://www.writespiritservices.com
            • samsonova_elena
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 13
                Thanks, Julio! I thought as much from going through the thread. It's up to me then...
                Elena