Re: beware of some ancestry.com e-mails

  • BW
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 15, 2003
         Judith, thanks for the info. I am going to forward an abbreviated version to a few friends who have complained about getting on to spam lists though they are careful. Unexpected links like this are one way. My brother in law recently received an on-line credit card application. We laughed about providing confidential info like this over the Internet to a company we didn't know. We have a few friends though who overcharge their credit cards, would welcome the chance for more credit  and might fall for this.

         Brian.

      At 06:18 PM 14/01/03 Tuesday, you wrote:
      I rec'd an e-mail apparently from ancestry.com today with the following as part of the message.  However, note that while the sender was apparently <lrabcarisa@...>, there was an order form that was to be submitted to <Superstud@...>, and there was no suggestion as to how the credit card information would be securely submitted.  ".cn" indicates that the message would be going to China, I believe.

      If you receive such messages - I'd hit the delete key.

      --------------------------
      Email Platinum CD - 125 Million worldwide email addresses just released today!
      This CD has never been purchased by anyone else before. Your email address was randomly selected from a list of emails to evaluate this CD at the special price of only $59. We want to see what kind of demand this new product will generate so we are only offering it to a very small test list of people. Take advantage of this offer now before this CD goes mainstream. Send emails to a brand new list that has just been compiled as of Jan 10 /2003.

      This cd is in TEXT file format and fully exportable to any software. Use it as many times as you want.

      You'll enjoy more responses than with any other advertising media!

      HOW THIS DIRECTORY WAS COMPILED:

      <snip>

      In Kinship,
      Judith Rempel, Webster