Re: beware of some ancestry.com e-mails

  • william campbell
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 14, 2003
      THANKS JUDII:

      You can tell from the tone of the message that it is a scam, can't you?

      Caveat Emptor - always!

      Cheers

      Bill

      Judith Rempel wrote:

      > I rec'd an e-mail apparently from ancestry.com today with the following
      > as part of the message. However, note that while the sender was
      > apparently <lrabcarisa@...>, there was an order form that was
      > to be submitted to <Superstud@...>, and there was no
      > suggestion as to how the credit card information would be securely
      > submitted. ".cn" indicates that the message would be going to China, I
      > believe.
      >
      > If you receive such messages - I'd hit the delete key.
      >
      > --------------------------
      > Email Platinum CD - 125 Million worldwide email addresses just released
      > today!
      > This CD has never been purchased by anyone else before. Your email
      > address was randomly selected from a list of emails to evaluate this CD
      > at the special price of only $59. We want to see what kind of demand
      > this new product will generate so we are only offering it to a very
      > small test list of people. Take advantage of this offer now before this
      > CD goes mainstream. Send emails to a brand new list that has just been
      > compiled as of Jan 10 /2003.
      >
      > This cd is in TEXT file format and fully exportable to any software. Use
      > it as many times as you want.
      >
      > You'll enjoy more responses than with any other advertising media!
      >
      > HOW THIS DIRECTORY WAS COMPILED:
      >
      > <snip>

      > --
      > In Kinship,
      > Judith Rempel, Webster
      > rempel@...
      >
      > and
      >
      > webster@...
      > Alberta Family Histories Society
      > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
      >
      > Canadian Genealogical Projects Register
      > http://www.afhs.ab.ca/registry/

      William A. Campbell
      Calgary, Alberta, Canada

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • Judith Rempel
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 14, 2003
        william campbell wrote:
        > THANKS JUDII:
        >
        > You can tell from the tone of the message that it is a scam, can't you?

        god point - but when it comes from *@... and I do receive
        legitimate e-mail from them ... it is concerning.

        Also, in the last weeks, I've actually been getting virus-laden e-mails
        that are falsified to look like they're coming from me.

        Beware out there - these are not friendly times. Sigh.

        > Judith Rempel wrote:
        >

        >>I rec'd an e-mail apparently from ancestry.com today with the following
        >>as part of the message. However, note that while the sender was
        >>apparently <lrabcarisa@...>, there was an order form that was
        >>to be submitted to <Superstud@...>, and there was no
        >>suggestion as to how the credit card information would be securely
        >>submitted. ".cn" indicates that the message would be going to China, I
        >>believe.
        >>
        >>If you receive such messages - I'd hit the delete key.
        >>
        >>--------------------------
        >>Email Platinum CD - 125 Million worldwide email addresses just released
        >>today!
        >>This CD has never been purchased by anyone else before. Your email
        >>address was randomly selected from a list of emails to evaluate this CD
        >>at the special price of only $59. We want to see what kind of demand
        >>this new product will generate so we are only offering it to a very
        >>small test list of people. Take advantage of this offer now before this
        >>CD goes mainstream. Send emails to a brand new list that has just been
        >>compiled as of Jan 10 /2003.
        >>
        >>This cd is in TEXT file format and fully exportable to any software. Use
        >>it as many times as you want.
        >>
        >>You'll enjoy more responses than with any other advertising media!
        >>
        >>HOW THIS DIRECTORY WAS COMPILED:
        >>
        >><snip>

        >>--
        >>In Kinship,