beware of some ancestry.com e-mails

  • Judith Rempel
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 14, 2003
      I rec'd an e-mail apparently from ancestry.com today with the following
      as part of the message. However, note that while the sender was
      apparently <lrabcarisa@...>, there was an order form that was
      to be submitted to <Superstud@...>, and there was no
      suggestion as to how the credit card information would be securely
      submitted. ".cn" indicates that the message would be going to China, I
      believe.

      If you receive such messages - I'd hit the delete key.

      --------------------------
      Email Platinum CD - 125 Million worldwide email addresses just released
      today!
      This CD has never been purchased by anyone else before. Your email
      address was randomly selected from a list of emails to evaluate this CD
      at the special price of only $59. We want to see what kind of demand
      this new product will generate so we are only offering it to a very
      small test list of people. Take advantage of this offer now before this
      CD goes mainstream. Send emails to a brand new list that has just been
      compiled as of Jan 10 /2003.

      This cd is in TEXT file format and fully exportable to any software. Use
      it as many times as you want.

      You'll enjoy more responses than with any other advertising media!

      HOW THIS DIRECTORY WAS COMPILED:

      <snip>

      In Kinship,
      Judith Rempel, Webster
      rempel@...

      and

      webster@...

      Canadian Genealogical Projects Register
      http://www.afhs.ab.ca/registry/

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • william campbell
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 14, 2003
        THANKS JUDII:

        You can tell from the tone of the message that it is a scam, can't you?

        Caveat Emptor - always!

        Cheers

        Bill

        Judith Rempel wrote:

        > I rec'd an e-mail apparently from ancestry.com today with the following
        > as part of the message. However, note that while the sender was
        > apparently <lrabcarisa@...>, there was an order form that was
        > to be submitted to <Superstud@...>, and there was no
        > suggestion as to how the credit card information would be securely
        > submitted. ".cn" indicates that the message would be going to China, I
        > believe.
        >
        > If you receive such messages - I'd hit the delete key.
        >
        > --------------------------
        > Email Platinum CD - 125 Million worldwide email addresses just released
        > today!
        > This CD has never been purchased by anyone else before. Your email
        > address was randomly selected from a list of emails to evaluate this CD
        > at the special price of only $59. We want to see what kind of demand
        > this new product will generate so we are only offering it to a very
        > small test list of people. Take advantage of this offer now before this
        > CD goes mainstream. Send emails to a brand new list that has just been
        > compiled as of Jan 10 /2003.
        >
        > This cd is in TEXT file format and fully exportable to any software. Use
        > it as many times as you want.
        >
        > You'll enjoy more responses than with any other advertising media!
        >
        > HOW THIS DIRECTORY WAS COMPILED:
        >
        > <snip>

        > --
        > In Kinship,
        > Judith Rempel, Webster
        > rempel@...
        >
        > and
        >
        > webster@...
        > Alberta Family Histories Society
        > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
        >
        > Canadian Genealogical Projects Register
        > http://www.afhs.ab.ca/registry/

        William A. Campbell
        Calgary, Alberta, Canada

        http://www.afhs.ab.ca
      • Judith Rempel
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 14, 2003
          william campbell wrote:
          > THANKS JUDII:
          >
          > You can tell from the tone of the message that it is a scam, can't you?

          god point - but when it comes from *@... and I do receive
          legitimate e-mail from them ... it is concerning.

          Also, in the last weeks, I've actually been getting virus-laden e-mails
          that are falsified to look like they're coming from me.

          Beware out there - these are not friendly times. Sigh.

          > Judith Rempel wrote:
          >

          >>I rec'd an e-mail apparently from ancestry.com today with the following
          >>as part of the message. However, note that while the sender was
          >>apparently <lrabcarisa@...>, there was an order form that was
          >>to be submitted to <Superstud@...>, and there was no
          >>suggestion as to how the credit card information would be securely
          >>submitted. ".cn" indicates that the message would be going to China, I
          >>believe.
          >>
          >>If you receive such messages - I'd hit the delete key.
          >>
          >>--------------------------
          >>Email Platinum CD - 125 Million worldwide email addresses just released
          >>today!
          >>This CD has never been purchased by anyone else before. Your email
          >>address was randomly selected from a list of emails to evaluate this CD
          >>at the special price of only $59. We want to see what kind of demand
          >>this new product will generate so we are only offering it to a very
          >>small test list of people. Take advantage of this offer now before this
          >>CD goes mainstream. Send emails to a brand new list that has just been
          >>compiled as of Jan 10 /2003.
          >>
          >>This cd is in TEXT file format and fully exportable to any software. Use
          >>it as many times as you want.
          >>
          >>You'll enjoy more responses than with any other advertising media!
          >>
          >>HOW THIS DIRECTORY WAS COMPILED:
          >>
          >><snip>

          >>--
          >>In Kinship,