More about a genealogy program for a pocket PC

  • Lorna Laughton
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 8, 2003
      Hi RoseMarie and everyone:

      There is an article in "Eastman's Online Genealogy Newsletter" about a
      new program for Pocket PC's. I use the program "Pocket Genealogist" on
      my Pocket PC (Compaq Ipaq 3850), but it never hurts to know about new
      products.

      This new program is called "CE My Family". The following is Dick
      Eastman's article from Volume 8, No. 1, 6 January 2003.

      Lorna Laughton

      3.00 US for 3 months, or $ 10.00 US for 12 months] To receive a free
      e-mail notification whenever a new free Plus Edition of the newsletter
      becomes available, go to http://www.RootsForum.com/newsletter and enter
      your name and e-mail address into the form in the upper left corner.

      ================

      CE My Family for Pocket PC Computers

      Bob Wittmann, the man behind "on eMan Software," has released a brand
      new genealogy program for Pocket PC computers. "CE My Family" is
      described as a "Read and Write Genealogy Solution for the Pocket PC." I
      took CE My Family for a test drive this week.

      By way of background, I should mention that a Pocket PC is one of a
      number of small handheld computers with color screens that use a stylus
      to provide input. This type of computer is commonly referred to as a
      Personal Digital Assistant (PDA). Not all PDAs are Pocket PCs, however.
      CE My Family only operates on Pocket PC systems -- not on the Palm
      operating system used by some handheld personal digital assistants.
      Pocket PC devices are sold by a number of leading names in the computer
      industry, including Compaq, Hewlett-Packard, Dell, and Toshiba.

      Pocket PCs use the Windows CE operating system from Microsoft, which
      obviously inspired the name of CE My Family. Bob Wittmann insists that
      the letters "CE" in the name of the program are pronounced separately,
      as "C <space> E My Family," not as "See My Family. I don't know, Bob; it
      sure looks like "See My Family" to me!

      I have a Compaq iPAQ Pocket PC that I love and carry with me nearly
      everywhere. I jumped at the chance to try out the new genealogy program
      written for these small devices.

      CE My Family consists of two matching programs: one for the desktop
      computer running Microsoft Windows 95, 98, ME, NT, 2000, or XP, and
      another for the Pocket PC. The expectation is that you will keep your
      data on your desktop system in a modern Windows genealogy program. When
      you want to copy your data to the handheld computer, you create a GEDCOM
      file with your desktop software. (For details about GEDCOM files, look
      at my "GEDCOM Explained" article at
      http://www.rootsforum.com/archives/news0219.htm#GEDCOM%20Explained). You
      use the CE My Family desktop software to copy the GEDCOM information to
      the handheld and then use the Pocket PC Software to display and
      manipulate the data.

      The installation of CE My Family was simple. I first downloaded the
      trial version of the program from the CE My Family Web site. There was
      one minor "gotcha" in the process; the file downloaded with the name
      CEFMDist, without any extension. I had to manually rename it to
      CEFMDist.exe. Once that was done, I double-clicked on the
      newly-downloaded file and followed the instructions that appeared on the
      screen. Less than a minute later, the installation was complete on my
      desktop computer. When I launched CE My Family for the first time, the
      program prompted me to insert my Pocket PC into its cradle. I did this
      then followed some more instructions that appeared on the screen. In
      another minute the appropriate software was installed on the Pocket PC.
      This completed the installation on both the desktop and the handheld
      computers.

      The next step was to get my data into the handheld. I used the desktop
      CE My Family program to convert a 3,000+ person GEDCOM file to the
      format needed and then transfer the data to the handheld. The
      description of this process is more complex than the execution of the
      actual task itself. The whole process was simple although a file of
      3,000 people requires several minutes to transfer. There is no "moving
      icon" or any other indication that the transfer is proceeding. For a
      while I wondered if the transfer process was hanging. However, I waited
      patiently and eventually was rewarded with a message of "File
      Transferred Successfully!"

      At this point I was able to move around the handheld database manually.
      It didn't seem obvious to me how to search for individuals; however, I
      spent a few minutes reading the online user's manual and found the
      answer. By the way, there is a rather good user's manual built into the
      handheld program. I have not seen many user's manuals on a handheld
      computer, but CE My Family does this and does it well.

      Rather than my trying to describe the operation of the program, I would
      suggest you look at the online "video tour" that has screen shots. This
      online tour is a good one. Go to http://www.cemyfamily.com and click on
      "Video Tour/Screen Shots." You will also find a full user's manual at
      the same Web site so that you can read about the program's operation in
      detail before purchasing it.

      Several things differentiate CE My Family from its primary competitor,
      The Pocket Genealogist. First of all, CE My Family allows for entering
      data on the handheld and later transferring it back to the desktop
      database. The Pocket Genealogist only recently added that capability to
      a beta test version of its software. (See my reviews of The Pocket
      Genealogist at http://www.rootsforum.com/archives/news0051.htm,
      http://www.rootsforum.com/archives/news0122.htm and
      http://www.rootsforum.com/archives/news0247.htm#PublicBetaThePocketGenea
      logist). Next, CE My Family lets you display and enter notes and sources
      in its database, something I have not seen in any other handheld
      genealogy program.

      On the negative side, I must say that navigating around the database in
      CE My Family was less intuitive than the same functionality in The
      Pocket Genealogist. The Pocket Genealogist also has numerous options not
      found in CE My Family, such as using color to quickly identify
      relationships. Both programs hold large databases (CE My Family is
      limited to a maximum of 20,000 Individuals within each data file
      although you can have multiple files), both operate quickly, and both
      live up to their advertised claims.

      So, which program is best? I don't know. I like them both! Luckily, both
      programs allow you to download trial versions and to use them for a
      while; so, you can try them both and make up your own mind as to which
      one you prefer. The trial version of CE My Family has all the
      functionality of the regular program, but you can only use it ten times.
      The eleventh time you start the program, it will require that you enter
      the registration key that you receive when you pay for the program.

      The regular price of CE My Family is $20.00 (U.S. funds), but On eMan
      Software is offering an introductory price of $15.00 to the first 1,000
      people who register the program. (This offer expires January 31, 2003.)

      For more information about CE My Family, to read the user's manual, to
      take the virtual tour, to download the trial version, or to register for
      the regular version, go to http://www.cemyfamily.com

      =============

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • E.Rodier
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 8, 2003
        Lorna or anyone with a Pocket PC,
        Please let me know if you get CE My Family to load, especially if you are
        using a recent computer with Windows XP. I read the manual as a PDF file and
        there are some unexpected limitations. Pocket Genealogist advanced version
        imports a Legacy Deluxe file directly (no pictures.)

        Set up a dual boot system with WinME and WinXP Pro this week. Maybe CE My
        Family would load easier with an older version of Windows. Downloaded files
        without extensions seem to be a problem lately.
        Elizabeth

        > This new program is called "CE My Family". The following is Dick
        > Eastman's article from Volume 8, No. 1, 6 January 2003.

        > one minor "gotcha" in the process; the file downloaded with the name
        > CEFMDist, without any extension.

        http://www.afhs.ab.ca
      • Pete Brewster
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 8, 2003
          Hi All:

          The idea of a genealogy program for a PDA sounds great, but is there anything
          out there for those of us who use Macs? If so, is it (or them) compatible with
          Reunion?

          Pete Brewster

          "E.Rodier" wrote:

          > Lorna or anyone with a Pocket PC,
          > Please let me know if you get CE My Family to load, especially if you are
          > using a recent computer with Windows XP. I read the manual as a PDF file and
          > there are some unexpected limitations. Pocket Genealogist advanced version
          > imports a Legacy Deluxe file directly (no pictures.)
          >
          > Set up a dual boot system with WinME and WinXP Pro this week. Maybe CE My
          > Family would load easier with an older version of Windows. Downloaded files
          > without extensions seem to be a problem lately.
          > Elizabeth

        • owner dist gen
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 8, 2003
            I searched the Reunion list archives and there are several articles
            about it: http://216.153.176.145/RTFolder/FMPro . My memory is that it
            is not hugely successful, but read the messages yourself. I don't have
            one and am not considering buying one so have not really paid attention.

            Mary Arthur