Re: Home Children

  • Phyllis Ziajka
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 7, 2003
      I'd just like to say that who-ever was responsible for booking Mr. Snow as our Guest Speaker for last night, has to be thanked immensely.  Mr. Snow's talk was a real "eye-opener" for many of us, I'm sure.  Its a subject well worth investigatin, even for those of us who don't think we have any connection with "Home Children".  Thanks to the Program Committee, and thanks to Mr. Snow!
      Phyllis Ziajka

    • Gord
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 7, 2003
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 7, 2003
          Thank you Rene for letting us know there were some reasonably happy
          stories also.

          I sent a note of thanks to Perry Snow for his excellent talk.

          Contacting the Herald was a great idea.

          Al

          ps I was the first to loan Snow's book from our AFHS library

          http://www.afhs.ab.ca
        • John Doyle
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 7, 2003
            Hi all,

            John's grandfather was, I'm sure, a Home Child from Belfast. Born in 1877,
            he was sent to Stratford, Ontario in 1888, according to his daughter. He
            was separated from his sisters and brother. He came west and lived in
            Nanton, then farmed west of Nanton.

            In 1947 he advertised in the papers and found a sister living on a farm near
            Athabasca, north of Edmonton. He and his wife travelled up there to meet
            his long lost sister after all those years of separation. We have the
            photographs!

            Judith Doyle

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 7, 2003
              I too think it was a great talk. I had already spent a bit of time talking to Perry Snow a few years ago. Around that time I saw a documentary on CBC about the Home Children. It showed many cases in Canada and all of them sad for even if they were treated well by their new families, these children were uprooted from their own usually loving families and both sides were told the other was dead. There is absolutely no happy story in any of this. Even those who in the documentary found their parents and/or siblings before they died had been denied knowing who they were and growing up with their flesh and blood family.

              It is good to know though that some had a level of peace from learning and meeting their family. I wonder if anyone knows the name of the documentary. I would like to see if we could obtain a copy for the AFHS library or if the Public Library would have a copy in their video collection.

              Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564