Home Children

  • Rene Dussome
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 7, 2003
      To: Members who attended last evening's meeting and to all other
      interested members

      The sad story about Mr. Snow's father, who was a Home Child and never
      knew who his parents were, was an all-too-familiar one. For some
      inexplicable reason, the charities in England that sponsored the Child
      Emigration Scheme consistently refused to reveal family information to
      those children and their descendants.

      Not all is doom and gloom, however.

      The late AFHS member Ruth Duncan, who is still sorely missed, was
      successful in finding the forebears of her maternal grandmother Margaret
      nee Sutton. Unfortunately, Ruth's mother Jean had passed on before this
      information was available.

      Margaret Sutton and her twin sister Harriet Sutton were brought to
      Canada by the Macpherson Home. They arrived in Galt, Ontario in July
      1877 at which time they were two months short of their fifth birthday.
      Later that year both girls were separated and adopted by different
      Canadian families. They received much love and care from their adoptive
      families.

      If you would like to read more about this happy story, look in the AFHS
      Journal winter 94/95 volume 15 no 2 and read my article about the two
      children and Ruth's successful search for their forebears.

      For those members who do not have a copy of this Journal I am sure that
      our wonderful librarian Helen can produce one for you from her archives.

      Rene Dussome

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • Phyllis Ziajka
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 7, 2003
        I'd just like to say that who-ever was responsible for booking Mr. Snow as our Guest Speaker for last night, has to be thanked immensely.  Mr. Snow's talk was a real "eye-opener" for many of us, I'm sure.  Its a subject well worth investigatin, even for those of us who don't think we have any connection with "Home Children".  Thanks to the Program Committee, and thanks to Mr. Snow!
        Phyllis Ziajka

      • Gord
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 7, 2003
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 7, 2003
            Thank you Rene for letting us know there were some reasonably happy
            stories also.

            I sent a note of thanks to Perry Snow for his excellent talk.

            Contacting the Herald was a great idea.

            Al

            ps I was the first to loan Snow's book from our AFHS library

            http://www.afhs.ab.ca
          • John Doyle
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 7, 2003
              Hi all,

              John's grandfather was, I'm sure, a Home Child from Belfast. Born in 1877,
              he was sent to Stratford, Ontario in 1888, according to his daughter. He
              was separated from his sisters and brother. He came west and lived in
              Nanton, then farmed west of Nanton.

              In 1947 he advertised in the papers and found a sister living on a farm near
              Athabasca, north of Edmonton. He and his wife travelled up there to meet
              his long lost sister after all those years of separation. We have the
              photographs!

              Judith Doyle

              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 7, 2003
                I too think it was a great talk. I had already spent a bit of time talking to Perry Snow a few years ago. Around that time I saw a documentary on CBC about the Home Children. It showed many cases in Canada and all of them sad for even if they were treated well by their new families, these children were uprooted from their own usually loving families and both sides were told the other was dead. There is absolutely no happy story in any of this. Even those who in the documentary found their parents and/or siblings before they died had been denied knowing who they were and growing up with their flesh and blood family.

                It is good to know though that some had a level of peace from learning and meeting their family. I wonder if anyone knows the name of the documentary. I would like to see if we could obtain a copy for the AFHS library or if the Public Library would have a copy in their video collection.

                Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564