Perogies galore! AKA Ukrainian SIG activities

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 5, 2003
      Thanks to the hard work of the following, we have perogies (pyrohy), kutia
      and borsch enough to give 300 tastes of Ukrainian Christmas Eve foods:

      (In addition to the work cited below - each one made at least one batch of
      perogy dough, helped roll and stuff perogies)
      Mertie Beatty, shopped for supplies, made the kutia and most of the perogy
      stuffing, will complete the borsch and bring the food Monday night, offered
      her kitchen, served lunch, cooked perogies and borsch (she will also be in
      charge of the kitchen on Monday night);
      OJ Zawalsky, contributed ready-made borsch, cut vegetables and filled
      batches of perogies;
      Lorna Stewart, finely diced a large sack of onions for the perogies and
      borsch, and made batches of perogies;
      Marlene Roy, peeled and diced 15 lbs of potatoes for borsch and perogy
      filling and made batches of perogies;
      Gloria Moore, made a quarter of the dough required, rolled it and stuffed
      hundreds of perogies;
      Sarah Stanford, made a quarter of the dough required, rolled it and stuffed
      hundreds of perogies;
      and I helped shop, peeled a batch of potatoes, supplied the recipe and
      Sara's perogy cutters, cooked perogies and generally helped out where needed
      though I must confess I only stuffed a couple of perogies so awesome was the
      team we had!

      Of this able crew Mertie was the only 100% Ukrainian, I am 50% and Sarah
      25%. What the rest lacked in Ukrainian ethnic heritage is now complete as we
      declare OJ, Lorna, Marlene and Gloria "honourary Ukrainians". Well done
      ladies and I hope you had as much fun as I did (and that you are somewhat
      less sore today!) Hopefully the pictures Art and Mertie took of the day will
      produce some suitable for posterity.

      See you all Monday night! Don't forget to bring one loonie per taste. As you
      sample the food you can remember it was all homemade by our Ukrainian group!

      For those of you with Ukrainian roots, I will be giving the beginner's
      session on researching records to find your Ukrainian ancestors. I will
      offer my notes to be posted on the AFHS website but in the session I will
      show you some of the documents I have uncovered and how to interpret them
      genealogically. Much was missed in these documents when it was interpreted
      by a knowledgeable reader/writer of Ukrainian compared to when Dr. John-Paul
      Himka showed me how to draw out the historical genealogical interpretation
      that showed me the exact house number in which my great grandparents lived
      and other interesting facts about their ancestors and circumstances. If you
      wish to bring a copy of your vital records or documents, I can show you some
      things to consider when having them interpreted. I must caution though I can
      not read, write nor speak Ukrainian. I can give some interpretation of the
      Latin on documents but the value is knowing where to look so the mistake of
      interpreting the raion as the name of the priest will not happen to you.
      Knowing the name of the raion (rayon) and other geographic divisions is a
      crucial clue to finding the vital records you need.

      Our next planned Ukrainian SIG activity will be a trip to the FHC on 17th
      Avenue once we have secured permission and set a time and date. As a special
      guest we hope to have Howard Krushel to guide us through some of the Eastern
      European resources.

      Then we will have a pysanky extravanga! We will make Ukrainian Easter Eggs
      in time for Easter, which this year falls on April 20, 2003 according to the
      Western (Gregorian) calendar and on April 27, 2003 for those who observe
      Paskha (Orthodox Easter Sunday) according to the Julian calendar.

      To have your name added to the Ukrainian SIG, please contact me by email,
      fax or phone. If possible, bring a copy of your known Ukrainian ancestor
      chart (start with deceased generations only for protection of the privacy of
      living people).

      Thanks and see you all Ukrainian or not on Monday night for our "Taste of a
      Traditional Ukrainian Christmas Eve"!

      Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 5, 2003
        Xenia and Co.:

        My goodness, you have all worked hard and I am sure we shall appreciate
        the results of your cooking efforts tomorrow evening.

        Looking forward to a real Ukrainian evening.

        Rene Dussome

      • Ethel McDonald
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 7, 2003
          Dear Xenia:

          To you and all your helpers - Ukrainian and honorary - a big thank you for
          the delicious taste of a Ukrainian Christmas Eve meal. I know that lots of
          work went into the preparation, including chopping all those onions! The
          pictures were interesting, the table setting lovely, and the service was
          very well organized. The first meeting of the year has set pretty high
          standards for the rest of the year!
          Thank you, Ethel McDonald

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 7, 2003
            Thanks Ethel and the many others who commented on evening. I could not have
            done it without the 6 wonderful women who worked so hard to pull this off:
            Mertie Beatty, Lorna Stewart, Marlene Roy, OJ Zawalsky, Gloria Moore and
            Sarah Stanford.

            Ronna Byam has come up with a new slogan for the AFHS: "Where it is cheaper
            to eat than to brag!"

            I am glad to say we came out pretty even in terms of costs. We will send
            some of the photos to be added to the Ukrainian SIG information on the web
            and/or to the Chinook, if wanted. Mertie took some pictures at the meeting
            last night as well so these can be added to the best of the collection to be
            posted and/or published.

            I think it was great to showcase our celebration to the rest of the society.
            Did any of you catch the news earlier in the day where they showed the
            festivities at some homes around the city and also interviewed the pastor at
            St. Vladimir's Church in Calgary about the Ukrainian Christmas celebrations?
            I think you probably learned more from participating for if you are like I
            was before I learned I was half-Ukrainian, you probably didn't pay much
            attention to news of these events.

            I only started exploring my Ukrainian roots about 15 years ago and in the
            past 9 I have celebrated a combined Ukrainian Christmas and my own birthday
            inviting my friends and family. Then last year I invited members of the
            Ukrainian SIG. However, this year was something I don't think I will ever be
            able to surpass! Thank you all for helping me have the biggest and best
            Christmas Eve and birthday celebration ever!

            Xenia Stanford (president@...)
            President, Stanford Solutions Inc.
            Editor-in-Chief, KnowMap: The Knowledge Management, Auditing and Mapping
            Magazine http://www.knowmap.com
            Full contact details
            http://www.knowmap.com/ssi/contact.html
            For courses and other Products see