Change in menu

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 3, 2003
      Hi folks,

      We decided to drop the cabbage rolls and perhaps kolach (tastes like French
      bread) from the menu due to time and costs.

      Still we will have one perogy, a small serving of kutia and a small serving
      of borscht for tasting for $1.00. Coffee, tea or juice will be 25 cents as
      usual and will be taken care of by the regular coffee crew. So there will be
      two collection plates/bowls out each marked appropriately.

      Remember - it is a "taste" of Ukrainian Christmas Eve cooking - not an
      entire meal's worth! We estimate with the talks and brief business meeting
      first, the food will be served about 8:30 p.m. We will ask George to confirm
      or announce any change at the meeting.

      à bientôt,

      Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 5, 2003
        Thanks to the hard work of the following, we have perogies (pyrohy), kutia
        and borsch enough to give 300 tastes of Ukrainian Christmas Eve foods:

        (In addition to the work cited below - each one made at least one batch of
        perogy dough, helped roll and stuff perogies)
        Mertie Beatty, shopped for supplies, made the kutia and most of the perogy
        stuffing, will complete the borsch and bring the food Monday night, offered
        her kitchen, served lunch, cooked perogies and borsch (she will also be in
        charge of the kitchen on Monday night);
        OJ Zawalsky, contributed ready-made borsch, cut vegetables and filled
        batches of perogies;
        Lorna Stewart, finely diced a large sack of onions for the perogies and
        borsch, and made batches of perogies;
        Marlene Roy, peeled and diced 15 lbs of potatoes for borsch and perogy
        filling and made batches of perogies;
        Gloria Moore, made a quarter of the dough required, rolled it and stuffed
        hundreds of perogies;
        Sarah Stanford, made a quarter of the dough required, rolled it and stuffed
        hundreds of perogies;
        and I helped shop, peeled a batch of potatoes, supplied the recipe and
        Sara's perogy cutters, cooked perogies and generally helped out where needed
        though I must confess I only stuffed a couple of perogies so awesome was the
        team we had!

        Of this able crew Mertie was the only 100% Ukrainian, I am 50% and Sarah
        25%. What the rest lacked in Ukrainian ethnic heritage is now complete as we
        declare OJ, Lorna, Marlene and Gloria "honourary Ukrainians". Well done
        ladies and I hope you had as much fun as I did (and that you are somewhat
        less sore today!) Hopefully the pictures Art and Mertie took of the day will
        produce some suitable for posterity.

        See you all Monday night! Don't forget to bring one loonie per taste. As you
        sample the food you can remember it was all homemade by our Ukrainian group!

        For those of you with Ukrainian roots, I will be giving the beginner's
        session on researching records to find your Ukrainian ancestors. I will
        offer my notes to be posted on the AFHS website but in the session I will
        show you some of the documents I have uncovered and how to interpret them
        genealogically. Much was missed in these documents when it was interpreted
        by a knowledgeable reader/writer of Ukrainian compared to when Dr. John-Paul
        Himka showed me how to draw out the historical genealogical interpretation
        that showed me the exact house number in which my great grandparents lived
        and other interesting facts about their ancestors and circumstances. If you
        wish to bring a copy of your vital records or documents, I can show you some
        things to consider when having them interpreted. I must caution though I can
        not read, write nor speak Ukrainian. I can give some interpretation of the
        Latin on documents but the value is knowing where to look so the mistake of
        interpreting the raion as the name of the priest will not happen to you.
        Knowing the name of the raion (rayon) and other geographic divisions is a
        crucial clue to finding the vital records you need.

        Our next planned Ukrainian SIG activity will be a trip to the FHC on 17th
        Avenue once we have secured permission and set a time and date. As a special
        guest we hope to have Howard Krushel to guide us through some of the Eastern
        European resources.

        Then we will have a pysanky extravanga! We will make Ukrainian Easter Eggs
        in time for Easter, which this year falls on April 20, 2003 according to the
        Western (Gregorian) calendar and on April 27, 2003 for those who observe
        Paskha (Orthodox Easter Sunday) according to the Julian calendar.

        To have your name added to the Ukrainian SIG, please contact me by email,
        fax or phone. If possible, bring a copy of your known Ukrainian ancestor
        chart (start with deceased generations only for protection of the privacy of
        living people).

        Thanks and see you all Ukrainian or not on Monday night for our "Taste of a
        Traditional Ukrainian Christmas Eve"!

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 5, 2003
          Xenia and Co.:

          My goodness, you have all worked hard and I am sure we shall appreciate
          the results of your cooking efforts tomorrow evening.

          Looking forward to a real Ukrainian evening.

          Rene Dussome

        • Ethel McDonald
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 7, 2003
            Dear Xenia:

            To you and all your helpers - Ukrainian and honorary - a big thank you for
            the delicious taste of a Ukrainian Christmas Eve meal. I know that lots of
            work went into the preparation, including chopping all those onions! The
            pictures were interesting, the table setting lovely, and the service was
            very well organized. The first meeting of the year has set pretty high
            standards for the rest of the year!
            Thank you, Ethel McDonald

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 7, 2003
              Thanks Ethel and the many others who commented on evening. I could not have
              done it without the 6 wonderful women who worked so hard to pull this off:
              Mertie Beatty, Lorna Stewart, Marlene Roy, OJ Zawalsky, Gloria Moore and
              Sarah Stanford.

              Ronna Byam has come up with a new slogan for the AFHS: "Where it is cheaper
              to eat than to brag!"

              I am glad to say we came out pretty even in terms of costs. We will send
              some of the photos to be added to the Ukrainian SIG information on the web
              and/or to the Chinook, if wanted. Mertie took some pictures at the meeting
              last night as well so these can be added to the best of the collection to be
              posted and/or published.

              I think it was great to showcase our celebration to the rest of the society.
              Did any of you catch the news earlier in the day where they showed the
              festivities at some homes around the city and also interviewed the pastor at
              St. Vladimir's Church in Calgary about the Ukrainian Christmas celebrations?
              I think you probably learned more from participating for if you are like I
              was before I learned I was half-Ukrainian, you probably didn't pay much
              attention to news of these events.

              I only started exploring my Ukrainian roots about 15 years ago and in the
              past 9 I have celebrated a combined Ukrainian Christmas and my own birthday
              inviting my friends and family. Then last year I invited members of the
              Ukrainian SIG. However, this year was something I don't think I will ever be
              able to surpass! Thank you all for helping me have the biggest and best
              Christmas Eve and birthday celebration ever!

              Xenia Stanford (president@...)
              President, Stanford Solutions Inc.
              Editor-in-Chief, KnowMap: The Knowledge Management, Auditing and Mapping
              Magazine http://www.knowmap.com
              Full contact details
              http://www.knowmap.com/ssi/contact.html
              For courses and other Products see