FWD: Ad-aware Alert

  • Mary Arthur
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 3, 2003
      > Internet Security News For End Users, Firewallguide.com, January 3,
      > 2003
      >
      > Ad-aware Alert -- SpywareInfo recommends that you uninstall (or stop
      > using) Ad-aware until version six is released in another month or so.
      > The current version is out of date and may cause problems. For more
      > information, go here (then scroll down). In the meantime, a new
      > version of Spybot Search & Destroy is available.

    • Bill Boogaart
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 16, 2003
        Ad Aware version 6 is now available. You can download it from
        www.lavasoft.nu/ Before you try to install it, uninstall earlier versions
        of Ad Aware and also uninstall the signature file checking utility that
        some of you installed. You won't need that anymore either. Before scanning,
        configure Ad Aware 6 by clicking on buttons across the top and selecting
        the settings you want. Next check for the latest signature file (above the
        Next button) and then scan your system for cookies and registry entries
        that are reporting your Internet activities to the prying eyes out there.

        http://www.afhs.ab.ca
      • Gordon Lane
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 16, 2003
          Reading some of the tech info the new version does not stop cookies, they
          are working on that. They had an older program called ad-watch that denied
          cookies but they actually recommend another cookie stopper on their website.
          Ad aware will scan your computer for the spyware and remove the offending
          spyware but only when you start the scan. It does not stop spyware being
          installed on your computer.

          Some of the reports suggest that the 5.83 version picks up more spyware than
          the new 6.0 version. Newer is not always better.

          Regards

          Gordon Lane
          Treasurer
          Co-Editor Chinook

          Alberta Family Hisories Society
          http://www.afhs.ab.ca

          Family website
          http://www.rumbolt.com

        • Bill Boogaart
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 16, 2003
            At 08:29 PM 2/16/2003 Sunday -0700, you wrote:

            >Some of the reports suggest that the 5.83 version picks up more spyware than
            >the new 6.0 version. Newer is not always better.

            That's not my experience. This newer version brought to light a lot more
            spyware than the earlier version did.

            http://www.afhs.ab.ca
          • Gordon Lane
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 16, 2003
              My appologies to Bill,

              Tried the latest version 6 build 160 and it found 16 tracking cookies that
              my 5.83 version had not found, and I scanned my computer in the last couple
              of hours with 5.83

              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 16, 2003
                Today's Tidbits newsletter (posted at
                http://www.tourbus.com/archives.htm) has easy to understand, step by
                step instructions for removing version 5, installing 6 and setting up
                preferences, if you need help. It also has suggestions for other
                programs and a bit of a rant about how long it took to release version
                6 when not supporting version 5.
                Mary
                On Sunday, Feb 16, 2003, at 20:10 Canada/Mountain, Bill Boogaart wrote:

                > Ad Aware version 6 is now available. You can download it from
                > www.lavasoft.nu/ Before you try to install it, uninstall earlier
                > versions of Ad Aware and also uninstall the signature file checking
                > utility that some of you installed. You won't need that anymore
                > either. Before scanning, configure Ad Aware 6 by clicking on buttons
                > across the top and selecting the settings you want. Next check for the
                > latest signature file (above the Next button) and then scan your
                > system for cookies and registry entries that are reporting your
                > Internet activities to the prying eyes out there.

              • Ellen Kinghorn
                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 17, 2003
                  Hi Mary:

                  Thank you for your email message to dist-gen. It allowed me to very
                  efficiently take the steps to install Ad-ware 6 on my computer. I had just
                  used the old program and thought my computer was clean. With Ad-ware 6,
                  there were 31 files to be removed.

                  I appreciated the link to the Tourbus archives. Very helpful.

                  Sincerely,
                  Ellen Kinghorn
                  Email: ellen@...
                  Webpage: www.kinghorn.ca
                  Researching: EVANS, DOWNEY, SCARPITTI & JOSLYN.