"Gangs of New York"

  • Ellen Kinghorn
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 2, 2003
      Should anyone be contemplating whether to see the recently released "Gangs of New York", for its New York Irish historic content, this is fair warning ... to me it was a veritable bloodbath.  A lesson in butchering.

      I understand they took license with some facts, ( no surprise there) encapsulating some events into a ten year period or so (1846 and thereabouts).  But the violence was some of the worst I've ever seen onscreen.

      Better to READ about events, folks.

      Ellen Kinghorn
      Email: ellen@...
      WebPages: www.kinghorn.ca

    • Phyllis Ziajka
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 2, 2003
        Hi Ellen - thanks for the warning - I'll heed it!!
        Phyllis

        Ellen Kinghorn wrote:
        Should anyone be contemplating whether to see the recently released "Gangs of New York", for its New York Irish historic content, this is fair warning ... to me it was a veritable bloodbath.  A lesson in butchering.

        I understand they took license with some facts, ( no surprise there) encapsulating some events into a ten year period or so (1846 and thereabouts).  But the violence was some of the worst I've ever seen onscreen.

        Better to READ about events, folks.

        Ellen Kinghorn
        Email: ellen@...
        WebPages: www.kinghorn.ca

      • Elizabeth R. Strang
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 5, 2003
          thanks for the warning, Ellen. Since my research is getting down
          to ew York now. A couple of Irish uncles and their families. was thinking
          of going but will give it a miss.
          Happy New ear. hope tp see you soemtime.