"Gangs of New York"

  • Ellen Kinghorn
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 2 3:40 PM
      Should anyone be contemplating whether to see the recently released "Gangs of New York", for its New York Irish historic content, this is fair warning ... to me it was a veritable bloodbath.  A lesson in butchering.

      I understand they took license with some facts, ( no surprise there) encapsulating some events into a ten year period or so (1846 and thereabouts).  But the violence was some of the worst I've ever seen onscreen.

      Better to READ about events, folks.

      Ellen Kinghorn
      Email: ellen@...
      WebPages: www.kinghorn.ca

    • Phyllis Ziajka
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 2 10:18 PM
        Hi Ellen - thanks for the warning - I'll heed it!!
        Phyllis

        Ellen Kinghorn wrote:
        Should anyone be contemplating whether to see the recently released "Gangs of New York", for its New York Irish historic content, this is fair warning ... to me it was a veritable bloodbath.  A lesson in butchering.

        I understand they took license with some facts, ( no surprise there) encapsulating some events into a ten year period or so (1846 and thereabouts).  But the violence was some of the worst I've ever seen onscreen.

        Better to READ about events, folks.

        Ellen Kinghorn
        Email: ellen@...
        WebPages: www.kinghorn.ca

      • Elizabeth R. Strang
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 5 6:07 PM
          thanks for the warning, Ellen. Since my research is getting down
          to ew York now. A couple of Irish uncles and their families. was thinking
          of going but will give it a miss.
          Happy New ear. hope tp see you soemtime.