RE: Sterling Money Order

  • Williams, Ann
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 19, 2002
      I've found that sterling drafts bought at a post office is the cheapest way
      (unless you have special priviledges at a bank I suppose). These P.O.
      drafts have to be cashed at a P.O. in Britain but I've had no complaints
      from people in the U.K.

      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 19, 2002
        At 10:58 AM 12/19/2002 Thursday -0500, you wrote:

        >Can anyone tell me how to get a sterling money order

        Go to the American Express office downtown. They can give you a money order
        in just about any currency in use.

        http://www.afhs.ab.ca
      • John Doyle
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 19, 2002
          Hi Gordon,

          I have bought dozens of money orders in pounds sterling for English
          certificates at the TD Bank. I have 60+ banking so there is no charge for
          the service. If you have not reached this age, you might want to get
          someone who has to buy your money orders. The exchange rate is bad enough
          without paying the Post Office their $3.50, or whatever it is now.

          Judith Doyle
          > Can anyone tell me how to get a sterling money order
          >
          > Regards
          >
          > Gordon Lane
          > Treasurer
          > Alberta Family Histories Society http://www.afhs.ab.ca
          > Personal Web Site: http://www.rumbolt.com

        • Donna Coulter
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 19, 2002
            I just go to the local CIBC Bank.

            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 21, 2002
              Does anyone remember the name of the photo restoration fellow who exhibited
              at the Roots seminar? Or, could anyone recommend a good photo restorer?

              Judith Doyle

              > I have bought dozens of money orders in pounds sterling for English
              > certificates at the TD Bank. I have 60+ banking so there is no charge for
              > the service. If you have not reached this age, you might want to get
              > someone who has to buy your money orders. The exchange rate is bad enough
              > without paying the Post Office their $3.50, or whatever it is now.
              >
              > Judith Doyle

            • Gord Hulbert
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 21, 2002
                Hi Judith:

                This is the outfit that was at FR 2002.

                http://www.mctserv.com/antiquememories/

                > Does anyone remember the name of the photo restoration fellow who
                exhibited
                > at the Roots seminar? Or, could anyone recommend a good photo restorer?
                >
                > Judith Doyle

              • Larry McCool
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 21, 2002
                  If I may-- This woman, Lori Matthews has won many awards for her work. She
                  is part of my Ferguson group 8>)

                  Larry

                  Larry & Doreen McCool
                  Calgary, AB Canada
                  Our new address is
                  mccoollh@...
                  Our website is now at

                  > > Does anyone remember the name of the photo restoration fellow who
                  > exhibited
                  > > at the Roots seminar? Or, could anyone recommend a good photo
                  restorer?

                  > > Judith Doyle

                  http://www.afhs.ab.ca
                • Ursula Krol
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 21, 2002
                    Hi Judith,
                    My name is Ursula Krol (Digital Photo) and I did the Root Show. I was to
                    late this year.
                    My phone # is 238-1234. Unfortunately TELUS changed my Cadvision web page
                    and I'm in the process of changing to a new web address soon. I have a full
                    archival process with very high quality equipment and I am a provider of
                    silver base negatives across North America.

                    Merry Christmas
                    Ursula Krol

                    P.S. For all AFHS members I have always 15% off any copy and restorations
                    work
                    Ursula