Computer SIG meeting "Safe Computing"

  • Charlie Hansen
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 18, 2002
      At our last meeting I talked about the risk of allowing your e-mail
      client program to open mail containing HTML code in HTML mode in
      preview or read. I mentioned that there had been an article in the
      Globe and Mail newspaper about this. Following are links to this
      article and another about flaws in MS IE and Outlook. You will have
      to cut and paste these long URLs into your browser unless your e-mail
      program supports multiline URLs.

      http://www.globetechnology.com/servlet/ArticleNews/einsider/RTGAM/2002
      1212/gtwarn//C,einsiderA/

      http://www.globetechnology.com/servlet/ArticleNews/einsider/RTGAM/2002
      1205/gtflaw/einsider/

      Regards,
      Charlie Hansen
      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • Mary Arthur
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 18, 2002
        Wow, watch out for a talking ad!

        As Charlie implied, it is a problem with Microsoft's poor programing
        that allows errors in the way HTML is read in the emails. people using
        other clients are at a much smaller risk (I hesitate to say no risk)

        On Wednesday, Dec 18, 2002, at 20:12 Canada/Mountain, Charlie Hansen
        wrote:

        > At our last meeting I talked about the risk of allowing your e-mail
        > client program to open mail containing HTML code in HTML mode in
        > preview or read. I mentioned that there had been an article in the
        > Globe and Mail newspaper about this. Following are links to this
        > article and another about flaws in MS IE and Outlook. You will have
        > to cut and paste these long URLs into your browser unless your e-mail
        > program supports multiline URLs.
        >
        > http://www.globetechnology.com/servlet/ArticleNews/einsider/RTGAM/2002
        > 1212/gtwarn//C,einsiderA/
        >
        > http://www.globetechnology.com/servlet/ArticleNews/einsider/RTGAM/2002
        > 1205/gtflaw/einsider/
        >
        > Regards,
        > Charlie Hansen

      • E.Rodier
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 18, 2002
          Received a suspicious e-mail telling me I was not using HTML shortly before
          Charlie's message. There was also a link to a web site. Sending and
          receiving messages in plain text for a long time.
          Elizabeth