1906 Census

  • George Lake
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 18, 2002
      Hi All:
      A couple of encouraging articles in this morning's Globe & Mail:

      page A11 news article indicating Canada's Information Commissioner is going
      to take Statistics Canada to court to release censuses

      page A21 commentary by Bill Waiser entitled "The agency that stole history"

      Merry Christmas to all.

      George Lake
      Chairman, Alberta Family Histories Society
      Calgary Canada

      email: chairman@...
      AFHS Website: www.afhs.ab.ca

      my website: www.glake.ca

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • George Lake
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 25, 2003
        Greetings All:
        Lois Sparling, Gordon Watts, Senator Milne and all the others who led the
        charge to get the census released are due a huge vote of thanks from all
        present and future genealogists and historians for their effort.
        The events of the past few years make it perfectly clear that without their
        leadership this important data would never have seen the light of day.
        Thank you all very much.

        George Lake
        Chairman, Alberta Family Histories Society
        Calgary Canada

        email: chairman@...
        AFHS Website: www.afhs.ab.ca

        my website: www.glake.ca

        http://www.afhs.ab.ca
      • Freda
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 11, 2004
          Hi Judith - I have just had my first look at the transcribed pages for the
          Peace River Country and have tracked relatives, although I had most of the
          info on them before. My question is - is there some way spelling corrections
          to the names can be made? If so the correct info would be as follows on SD#1
          P. 8; House 60; Lawrence: SHERIDAN. This info is verifiable in a book I
          just grabbed onto the 'book sale' named 'Emperor of the Peace' (i.e.
          Sheridan Lawrence) written by his granddaughter. This book is now in the
          AFHS Library and is a pretty fine picture of the survival mechanism in early
          days in that area.
          Reading through these names of that era on this census, my first thought
          was that I am glad I didn't try to decipher some of those names. Some of
          them had to be pure guess work.
          Sincerely
          Freda Stewart
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 11, 2004
            For each suggestion, I take a look myself - at the images online. If both
            interpretations are possible (suggestor and transcriber), I go with the
            suggester who invariably has more familiar/name knowledge. Else, I simply
            document the suggestion in a footnote.

            In this case, I agree that both are possible, but that we should proceed
            with your version. It will be online, corrected, in a few minutes.

            Thanks for taking the time to review/suggest.

            In Kinship,
            Judith Rempel
            judith@...

            and

            1906@...
            1906 Census Transcription Centre
            http://www.afhs.ab.ca/data/census/1906/

            http://www.afhs.ab.ca
          • Gordon Lane
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 13, 2005
              It appears that the Canadian Genealogical Center has been doing some reorganization

              then click on sources by topic

              then census

              Scroll down the page to Resources on Line and voila

              which is the AFHS main transcription page.

              Regards

              Gordon Lane
              Chairman
              Alberta Family Histories Society
              712-16th Ave NW,
              Calgary, AB, T2W 0J8

              chairman@...
              www.afhs.ab.ca
              (403)214-1447

            • Peter and Yvonne Adams
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 22, 2005
                Hi,

                Where would I go to find a transcript of the 1906 Census for Lacombe, Ab.

                Thanks

                *****************************
                Peter Adams
                Calgary, Ab
              • Judith
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 22, 2005

                  See http://www.afhs.ab.ca/data/census/1906/alberta/21/ and scroll down to subdistrict #43 for the town.  There are links to the census image pages on the Library & Archives Canada website as well as a link to our transcribed version of those pages.

                  If you use our search tool found on the AFHS homepage for the transcription work < http://www.afhs.ab.ca/data/census/1906/index.html> and do a search on Lacombe – you’ll find lots of hits – for the above page as well as anyone elsewhere in the prairies at that time who indicated they used Lacombe as their post office (or had Lacombe as their name).

                  Judith Rempel

                  rempel@...

                  and

                  1906@...

                  1906 Census of Canada Transcription Project

                  Alberta Family Histories Society

                  www.afhs.ab.ca/data/census/