Google Viewer

  • Judith Rempel
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 17, 2002
      For those with weary mouse-fingers, threatening tendonitis or aching
      arthritis - here's a tool to make google searches less taxing:

      - following extracted from a newsletter called "TourBus"
      (http://www.TOURBUS.com)

      -------------
      Google Viewer
      -------------

      Google Viewer (http://labs.google.com/gviewer.html) works a lot like the
      Google search engine we all know and love. Key in a search term and
      Google's patented pigeon clusters find a gozillion Web pages that match
      your search term. What makes Google Viewer different is that instead of
      showing you LINKS to the pages that match your search term, it actually
      SHOWS you the resulting pages themselves, sort of like a scrolling slide
      show of relevant Web pages.

      So, thanks to the Google Viewer, you can actually view the results of
      your Google search without having to move your mouse.

      And, best of all, there's no software to download or install. Google
      Viewer does its magic using nothing but your Web browser and an
      Internet connection.

      For example, do a search for Patrick Crispen at
      http://labs.google.com/gviewer.html and the first thing you'll see is
      a regular Google results page with a special VCR-like like viewer bar
      tacked on to the top of the page. Almost instantly, the results page
      changes, showing you, at the top of your screen. Google's first hit
      and an 800 x 600 interactive "thumbnail" of that hit at the bottom of
      your screen. Wait five seconds and hit number two appears. And so
      on.

      You can stop and start the "slide show," and change the speed at which
      the pages are displayed, simply by clicking on the buttons at top of
      the screen. And the Google Viewer couldn't be simpler to operate.
      If you can use a VCR, you can use Google Viewer (although I think
      Google needs to redesign the stop button to look more like a stop sign
      -- the current stop button looks a little too much like the record
      button on a VCR).

      All in all, the Google Viewer is one of the coolest things I have seen
      in a while.
      In Kinship,
      Judith Rempel, Webster
      rempel@...

      and

      webster@...

      Canadian Genealogical Projects Register
      http://www.afhs.ab.ca/registry/

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • Rene Dussome
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 17, 2002
        Judii:

        > Google Viewer
        >
        > Google Viewer (http://labs.google.com/gviewer.html) works a lot like the
        > Google search engine we all know and love.

        When I click on this website it states that the Requirements include:

        Explorer 5 & above, Netscape 6 & above

        I still have Netscape 4.7. Do you recommend changing to Netscape 6 or
        higher?

        Rene