PDA & digital camera

  • E.Rodier
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 15, 2002
      There is a new public Beta of Pocket Genealogist with data entry and some
      transfer by GEDCOM back to the desktop. It isn't a complete replacement for
      a laptop but could be used for basic data entry in a new file. I use GEDCOM
      from FTM more than direct transfer from Legacy 4 Deluxe and will probably
      use Field Notes more than changing of basic data in Pocket Genealogist.

      Tried three Palm programs on a color Sony Clie and didn't register any of
      them. The ideal library visit might have a Palm with display of simple
      reports beside a Pocket PC with the database. My vest pockets have room for
      lots of gadgets. I like the look and feel of HP Jornada, also using a Pocket
      Keyboard and have a spare battery available.

      Saw a new model of Pocket PC from Toshiba today, more expensive than
      expected but it might have had GPS & camera. Compare models on the Internet
      if shopping for a handheld. http://www.pocketpcmag.com/bg2003/ppcs.asp has a
      comparison chart in US dollars.

      Stopped at Southminster this morning to take a few pictures with a digital
      camera. School friend grew up on the same street and remembers when there
      was a slough and horse stable nearby. She was interested in the look of the
      new cross at the south end.

      There is a good review of the Logitech Pocket Digital camera on the
      Internet, takes a 900 kb image or smaller size and 16 mb storage. Smaller
      than my favorite Minolta but the Logitech doesn't have a zoom lens or flash
      or loop for a strap. Logitech prices are highly variable in Calgary and
      there was a coupon a couple of weeks back at one store.
      Elizabeth