Re: Re: Scultetus Binders]

  • Donna Coulter
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 11, 2002
      Judith et all;
      Well I'll be jiggered-- I haven't thought of Scultetus
      Binders for years. We used them in the hospital in which I
      trained, Winnipeg General, in the late 40's. They were a
      blessing for giving support.
      The crocheted or knitted ones were probably an alternate
      when they needed to have a bit of 'give'.
      They were alway's used for post operative care for abdominal
      surgery and for new mothers.
      They were an alternative for binding cracked ribs--- back
      when they strapped ribs----.
      I LOVE HISTORICAL TRIVIA.

      Thanks yuh all

      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 13, 2002
        I remember making those binders years ago in Britain. I have been
        trying to remember where and when,I thought at first it was in High
        School for the "Guild of Goodwill" but now I come to think of it , it
        was during the war when I belonged to a group working for the Red Cross.
        We were given the materials and shown what to do and I remember
        "herringbone stitch" the strips on to the big square. We just called
        them "many-tailed bandages". Marjorie Ramsay