Re: Help needed

  • RM McLean
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 9, 2002
      Can anyone help Bob? I have the same ancestral name but not in Canada.

      Hello:
          Can you help me? I am attempting to trace a branch of my family tree.
          Here's the information I have:
      1) Constance "Connie" May Gilbert married George Dunlop c. 1890 and
      their daughter Gladys M. L. Dunlop was born c. 1892
      2) In 1935 I believe this family was living in Westlock AB - I have a
      newspaper clipping of a death that mentions "Floral tributes were
      received from... Mr. and Mrs. G. Dunlop."
      3) A reliable family report says Gladys was married to a Dr. Mason and
      living in Westlock AB in 1940. Gladys' father George was there too but
      "very poorly." (He likely died soon after). I expect Connie was dead by
      then.
      4) Another report says Gladys was living near Edmonton (Westlock?) and
      married to a doctor in 1954.
          A reasonable place to start would be searching for a Doctor Mason
      living in Westlock from at least 1940 to 1954. His wife would have been
      Gladys Dunlop, and they may have had children.
          Thank you for whatever help you can give me.
      Bob Campbell, Kingston ON

      Genealogy -- chasing your own tale!

      RoseMarie McLean
      Mathom House Box #954
      Kaslo BC Canada
      VOG 1MO

      RoseMarie McLean
      176 Lynnwood Drive S. E.
      Calgary AB Canada
      T2C OS9
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 9, 2002

        In the 1901 Alberta Census, I find only this entry for Dunlop or Dunlap

        1901 Census Alberta District No. 202 ...
        Place                Pg.Ln.Last NameFirst NameRelationBornAgeCtry.
        Cowley     136DUNLOP                   Kate       ldgr187624ONT

        Since Alberta was not a province then it was divided into several districts. In the Assiniboia West there are the following Dunlop names - all located in Medicine Hat:

        Andrew
        John
        Kenneth
        Mary

        To see the entries go to http://www.archives.ca/02/02012202_e.html select Territories as a check box and enter Moose Jaw in the Geographic Location section, press Submit Search. Look for schedule 1 and scroll down to page
        p.12. You should see this family.

        There are no entries for Dunlop in the Unorganized Territories of Athabasca.

        To search the 1881 census for George Dunlop, you could try http://www.familysearch.org/

        There are none shown in Alberta but perhaps George was in another province at that time.

        Later I will check my BMD and some other sources to see if I have anything on hand for this name.

        à bientôt,

        Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 10, 2002
          Hi again to Bob,

          I checked the BMD for Alberta (1870-1905). This does not show a Connie, a George or a Gladys. It does show the following:

          Alta Dunlap married George W. Walker
          Children of William John Dunlap and Eliz. Metcalf - Jennie Mable birth & death, David Henry, Robert Hugh
          Hugh Dunlop married Elisabeth Ann Gardner
          Margaret Morrison Dunlop married Robert Herbert Ross
          May Alexandria Dunlop, born to Alexander Dunlop and Nellie Hurssell.

          If any of these look like they match, let me know and I will give specific dates. Otherwise it is possible, since not mentioned in this book nor in the 1901 census as far as I can tell, that they were not in Alberta until after 1905.