Re: Scottish certificates

  • Peter van Schaik
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 8, 2002
      > > Thanks for that lead on a faster route to vital records. Does May
      > > provide that service for Scottish records too?
      > > Cheers
      > > Bill

      Two ways of getting the Scottish certificates.

      Scottish certificates can be ordered from the General Record Office in
      Edinburgh.

      However the FHC has some of the records on microfilm.
      First you need to find your people in the General Index , then you either
      can order the film with the record on it or fill out a SLC photo copy
      request form . Note that some of the records are lost , my understanding
      is that even the GRO doesn't have them. (somebody correct me if I am
      wrong,Please)
      Going to the parish records for the places that you find in the index is
      the logical next step there.

      Registers of births, marriages, and deaths, 1855-1875, 1881, 1891;
      and general index, 1855-1956

      Groetjes from.......................Peter!!!!!!

      Docs4u Research.
      Genealogical research service for North Americans from the Netherlands,
      Belgium , Indonesia and the British Isles. Very reasonable rates.
      Mailto:docs4u@...

      Peter Jm van Schaik
      237 Mount Blakiston Road West , Lethbridge
      Alberta ,Canada
      postal code ; T1K 6M8
      Phone number 403 - 394 - 0063