RE: Where is Kingsland UK?

    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
      Thanks Pat and Bill,

      This looks like the right one
      http://www.streetmap.co.uk/ because when I enter Tottenham and then go to
      Tottenham Road, London, I find it is in the district of Kingsland. I thought
      it was London from the context in which I found it.

      So it looks like the two addresses are in London at
      Tottenham Road, London, N_1
      Canterbury Road, London, E_10

      Now just have to find the parishes and I suspect the Kingsland one is the
      better one to try as it was an 1898 death entry and the Canterbury death
      entry was 1918. Since Joseph Stanford was in Canada by 1835 and deceased by
      1881, it could be his son Joseph who passed away in 1897 so if I am lucky
      the 1898 entry could be a will with something left to family in England,
      which if so means they kept in touch. Wishful thinking perhaps!

      However, if it is then I suspect the family parish may have been at the
      Tottenham Road, Kingsland, London and hopefully I can find some earlier
      parish records for that area.

      à bientôt,

      Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564

      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
        Thanks Gordon and all,

        I think I have the right locations now and will be concentrating on the 1898
        death entry for the Tottenham Road, Kingsland, London/Middlesex parish.

        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
          Xenia,

          Have you checked this map site for the 2 addresses?
          http://www.streetmap.co.uk/
          I find this website is great for locating places in England.

          Another useful site is http://www.findachurch.co.uk/index.html

          124 Tottenham Rd., Kingsland is in London - it might be in the parish of
          Hackney or Islington.

          29 Canterbury Rd., London is in Kilburn. According to my map of London there
          is a St. Augustine Church several blocks away. If you do a Google search on
          this church, one of the pages gives you info but not the parish.
          http://www.cofe.anglican.org/infosheets/callsh.asp?dioname=C08691
          Another site http://www.bishopoffulham.co.uk/members.htm#sakilburn implys
          that it is in the parish of Fulham.

          Connie Inkster

          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
            I could not find the parish entry at the locator you sent. There are no
            entries for the family in the 1881 Canadian census so it is possible they
            moved to the UK for a few years. A son was born in Montreal in 1878 and a
            son in Ottawa in 1884 so this is a bit strange.

            However, I do know the son born in 1878 in Montreal, married in Montreal in
            1901 and had his family there between 1904 and 1918 but died in London in
            1925 (buried in Montreal) so I assume they kept family ties going with those
            on the other side of the pond as they say.

            Perhaps I should also look at the Canterbury death record in 1918 in case it
            is related but that is for a female Stanford listing a deceased Joseph as a
            spouse so I will try the 1898 first because that is the spouse Joseph.

            Could I actually be homing in on the next generation back?!