RE: Where is Kingsland UK?

  • Gordon Lane
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
      124 Tottenham Road, Kingsland, Middlesex N1 4DY

      It's between Islington and Hackney. In the AFHS Library is the 1891
      Census which has a street index, should show you what parish it is in

      29 Canterbury Road, Harrow, Middlesex, HA2 6AA
      29 Canterbury Road, London, E10 6EE
      29 Canterbury Road, Feltham, TW13 5LE

      Found via

      http://www.old-maps.co.uk/

      Regards

      Gordon Lane
      Treasurer
      Alberta Family Histories Society http://www.afhs.ab.ca
      Personal Web Site: http://www.rumbolt.com

      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
        Thanks Pat and Bill,

        This looks like the right one
        http://www.streetmap.co.uk/ because when I enter Tottenham and then go to
        Tottenham Road, London, I find it is in the district of Kingsland. I thought
        it was London from the context in which I found it.

        So it looks like the two addresses are in London at
        Tottenham Road, London, N_1
        Canterbury Road, London, E_10

        Now just have to find the parishes and I suspect the Kingsland one is the
        better one to try as it was an 1898 death entry and the Canterbury death
        entry was 1918. Since Joseph Stanford was in Canada by 1835 and deceased by
        1881, it could be his son Joseph who passed away in 1897 so if I am lucky
        the 1898 entry could be a will with something left to family in England,
        which if so means they kept in touch. Wishful thinking perhaps!

        However, if it is then I suspect the family parish may have been at the
        Tottenham Road, Kingsland, London and hopefully I can find some earlier
        parish records for that area.

        à bientôt,

        Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564

        When you use the street map I sent, if you enter Totteham . then scroll
        down till you see Totteham Road N 1, click on there and a map will come up
        showing you Totteham Road, Kingsland.
        I am still looking for the other.
        Pat and Bill
        pat0bill@...

        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
          Thanks Gordon and all,

          I think I have the right locations now and will be concentrating on the 1898
          death entry for the Tottenham Road, Kingsland, London/Middlesex parish.

          à bientôt,

          Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564

          124 Tottenham Road, Kingsland, Middlesex N1 4DY

          It's between Islington and Hackney. In the AFHS Library is the 1891
          Census which has a street index, should show you what parish it is in

          29 Canterbury Road, Harrow, Middlesex, HA2 6AA
          29 Canterbury Road, London, E10 6EE
          29 Canterbury Road, Feltham, TW13 5LE

          Found via

          http://www.old-maps.co.uk/

          Regards

          Gordon Lane
          Treasurer
          Alberta Family Histories Society http://www.afhs.ab.ca
          Personal Web Site: http://www.rumbolt.com

        • Connie Inkster
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
            Xenia,

            Have you checked this map site for the 2 addresses?
            http://www.streetmap.co.uk/
            I find this website is great for locating places in England.

            Another useful site is http://www.findachurch.co.uk/index.html

            124 Tottenham Rd., Kingsland is in London - it might be in the parish of
            Hackney or Islington.

            29 Canterbury Rd., London is in Kilburn. According to my map of London there
            is a St. Augustine Church several blocks away. If you do a Google search on
            this church, one of the pages gives you info but not the parish.
            http://www.cofe.anglican.org/infosheets/callsh.asp?dioname=C08691
            Another site http://www.bishopoffulham.co.uk/members.htm#sakilburn implys
            that it is in the parish of Fulham.

            Connie Inkster

            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
              I could not find the parish entry at the locator you sent. There are no
              entries for the family in the 1881 Canadian census so it is possible they
              moved to the UK for a few years. A son was born in Montreal in 1878 and a
              son in Ottawa in 1884 so this is a bit strange.

              However, I do know the son born in 1878 in Montreal, married in Montreal in
              1901 and had his family there between 1904 and 1918 but died in London in
              1925 (buried in Montreal) so I assume they kept family ties going with those
              on the other side of the pond as they say.

              Perhaps I should also look at the Canterbury death record in 1918 in case it
              is related but that is for a female Stanford listing a deceased Joseph as a
              spouse so I will try the 1898 first because that is the spouse Joseph.

              Could I actually be homing in on the next generation back?!

              à bientôt,