Re: Where is Kingsland UK?

  • Pat and Bill
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
      Xenia,
      When you use the street map I sent, if you enter Totteham . then scroll
      down till you see Totteham Road N 1, click on there and a map will come up
      showing you Totteham Road, Kingsland.
      I am still looking for the other.
      Pat and Bill
      pat0bill@...
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
        124 Tottenham Road, Kingsland, Middlesex N1 4DY

        It's between Islington and Hackney. In the AFHS Library is the 1891
        Census which has a street index, should show you what parish it is in

        29 Canterbury Road, Harrow, Middlesex, HA2 6AA
        29 Canterbury Road, London, E10 6EE
        29 Canterbury Road, Feltham, TW13 5LE

        Found via

        http://www.old-maps.co.uk/

        Regards

        Gordon Lane
        Treasurer
        Alberta Family Histories Society http://www.afhs.ab.ca
        Personal Web Site: http://www.rumbolt.com

        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
          Thanks Pat and Bill,

          This looks like the right one
          http://www.streetmap.co.uk/ because when I enter Tottenham and then go to
          Tottenham Road, London, I find it is in the district of Kingsland. I thought
          it was London from the context in which I found it.

          So it looks like the two addresses are in London at
          Tottenham Road, London, N_1
          Canterbury Road, London, E_10

          Now just have to find the parishes and I suspect the Kingsland one is the
          better one to try as it was an 1898 death entry and the Canterbury death
          entry was 1918. Since Joseph Stanford was in Canada by 1835 and deceased by
          1881, it could be his son Joseph who passed away in 1897 so if I am lucky
          the 1898 entry could be a will with something left to family in England,
          which if so means they kept in touch. Wishful thinking perhaps!

          However, if it is then I suspect the family parish may have been at the
          Tottenham Road, Kingsland, London and hopefully I can find some earlier
          parish records for that area.

          à bientôt,

          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
            Thanks Gordon and all,

            I think I have the right locations now and will be concentrating on the 1898
            death entry for the Tottenham Road, Kingsland, London/Middlesex parish.

            à bientôt,

            Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564

            124 Tottenham Road, Kingsland, Middlesex N1 4DY

            It's between Islington and Hackney. In the AFHS Library is the 1891
            Census which has a street index, should show you what parish it is in

            29 Canterbury Road, Harrow, Middlesex, HA2 6AA
            29 Canterbury Road, London, E10 6EE
            29 Canterbury Road, Feltham, TW13 5LE

            Found via

            http://www.old-maps.co.uk/

            Regards

            Gordon Lane
            Treasurer
            Alberta Family Histories Society http://www.afhs.ab.ca
            Personal Web Site: http://www.rumbolt.com

          • Connie Inkster
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
              Xenia,

              Have you checked this map site for the 2 addresses?
              http://www.streetmap.co.uk/
              I find this website is great for locating places in England.

              Another useful site is http://www.findachurch.co.uk/index.html

              124 Tottenham Rd., Kingsland is in London - it might be in the parish of
              Hackney or Islington.

              29 Canterbury Rd., London is in Kilburn. According to my map of London there
              is a St. Augustine Church several blocks away. If you do a Google search on
              this church, one of the pages gives you info but not the parish.
              http://www.cofe.anglican.org/infosheets/callsh.asp?dioname=C08691
              Another site http://www.bishopoffulham.co.uk/members.htm#sakilburn implys
              that it is in the parish of Fulham.

              Connie Inkster

              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
                I could not find the parish entry at the locator you sent. There are no
                entries for the family in the 1881 Canadian census so it is possible they
                moved to the UK for a few years. A son was born in Montreal in 1878 and a
                son in Ottawa in 1884 so this is a bit strange.

                However, I do know the son born in 1878 in Montreal, married in Montreal in
                1901 and had his family there between 1904 and 1918 but died in London in
                1925 (buried in Montreal) so I assume they kept family ties going with those
                on the other side of the pond as they say.

                Perhaps I should also look at the Canterbury death record in 1918 in case it
                is related but that is for a female Stanford listing a deceased Joseph as a
                spouse so I will try the 1898 first because that is the spouse Joseph.

                Could I actually be homing in on the next generation back?!

                à bientôt,