Re: Where is Kingsland UK?

  • The Kashubas
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
      Well now, I found three (3) of them.

      Kingsland, Worcestershire, a little NW of Leominster
      Kingsland,Co. Roscommon, Ireland
      Kingsland, GWY, Wales, near Holyhead the port where you catch the hovercraft
      over to Ireland.

      Kathy
      http://members.shaw.ca/kashuba4
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
        Xenia,
        When you use the street map I sent, if you enter Totteham . then scroll
        down till you see Totteham Road N 1, click on there and a map will come up
        showing you Totteham Road, Kingsland.
        I am still looking for the other.
        Pat and Bill
        pat0bill@...
        > A possible match to my London Stanfords gives the following last known
        > addresses:
        >
        > 124 Tottenham Rd., Kingsland
        > 29 Canterbury Rd., London
        >
        > If I were to pursue the Protestant records for an 1800-1808 marriage in a
        > parish near either of these locations, what parish would it be?
        >
        > I have some English maps but not detailed enough for the above.
        >
        > I am looking specifically for Joseph Stanford who was born about 1808 and
        > the last known address of his parents Robert William Stanford and Lydia
        > Wallace was London, UK. Joseph listed his faith as Baptist or Protestant
        on
        > census records in Quebec.
        >
        > à bientôt,
        >
        > Xenia Stanford (president@...)
        > Column: "Nos Racines Francaise" http://globalgazette.net/
        > Local book and magazine sales: http://www.knowmap.com/age/
        > Celtic Stone Art: http://www/celticstoneart.com
        > Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564

      • Gordon Lane
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
          124 Tottenham Road, Kingsland, Middlesex N1 4DY

          It's between Islington and Hackney. In the AFHS Library is the 1891
          Census which has a street index, should show you what parish it is in

          29 Canterbury Road, Harrow, Middlesex, HA2 6AA
          29 Canterbury Road, London, E10 6EE
          29 Canterbury Road, Feltham, TW13 5LE

          Found via

          http://www.old-maps.co.uk/

          Regards

          Gordon Lane
          Treasurer
          Alberta Family Histories Society http://www.afhs.ab.ca
          Personal Web Site: http://www.rumbolt.com

          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
            Thanks Pat and Bill,

            This looks like the right one
            http://www.streetmap.co.uk/ because when I enter Tottenham and then go to
            Tottenham Road, London, I find it is in the district of Kingsland. I thought
            it was London from the context in which I found it.

            So it looks like the two addresses are in London at
            Tottenham Road, London, N_1
            Canterbury Road, London, E_10

            Now just have to find the parishes and I suspect the Kingsland one is the
            better one to try as it was an 1898 death entry and the Canterbury death
            entry was 1918. Since Joseph Stanford was in Canada by 1835 and deceased by
            1881, it could be his son Joseph who passed away in 1897 so if I am lucky
            the 1898 entry could be a will with something left to family in England,
            which if so means they kept in touch. Wishful thinking perhaps!

            However, if it is then I suspect the family parish may have been at the
            Tottenham Road, Kingsland, London and hopefully I can find some earlier
            parish records for that area.

            à bientôt,

            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
              Thanks Gordon and all,

              I think I have the right locations now and will be concentrating on the 1898
              death entry for the Tottenham Road, Kingsland, London/Middlesex parish.

              à bientôt,

              Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564

              124 Tottenham Road, Kingsland, Middlesex N1 4DY

              It's between Islington and Hackney. In the AFHS Library is the 1891
              Census which has a street index, should show you what parish it is in

              29 Canterbury Road, Harrow, Middlesex, HA2 6AA
              29 Canterbury Road, London, E10 6EE
              29 Canterbury Road, Feltham, TW13 5LE

              Found via

              http://www.old-maps.co.uk/

              Regards

              Gordon Lane
              Treasurer
              Alberta Family Histories Society http://www.afhs.ab.ca
              Personal Web Site: http://www.rumbolt.com

            • Connie Inkster
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
                Xenia,

                Have you checked this map site for the 2 addresses?
                http://www.streetmap.co.uk/
                I find this website is great for locating places in England.

                Another useful site is http://www.findachurch.co.uk/index.html

                124 Tottenham Rd., Kingsland is in London - it might be in the parish of
                Hackney or Islington.

                29 Canterbury Rd., London is in Kilburn. According to my map of London there
                is a St. Augustine Church several blocks away. If you do a Google search on
                this church, one of the pages gives you info but not the parish.
                http://www.cofe.anglican.org/infosheets/callsh.asp?dioname=C08691
                Another site http://www.bishopoffulham.co.uk/members.htm#sakilburn implys
                that it is in the parish of Fulham.

                Connie Inkster

                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
                  I could not find the parish entry at the locator you sent. There are no
                  entries for the family in the 1881 Canadian census so it is possible they
                  moved to the UK for a few years. A son was born in Montreal in 1878 and a
                  son in Ottawa in 1884 so this is a bit strange.

                  However, I do know the son born in 1878 in Montreal, married in Montreal in
                  1901 and had his family there between 1904 and 1918 but died in London in
                  1925 (buried in Montreal) so I assume they kept family ties going with those
                  on the other side of the pond as they say.

                  Perhaps I should also look at the Canterbury death record in 1918 in case it
                  is related but that is for a female Stanford listing a deceased Joseph as a
                  spouse so I will try the 1898 first because that is the spouse Joseph.

                  Could I actually be homing in on the next generation back?!

                  à bientôt,