Re: Where is Kingsland UK?

  • The Kashubas
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
      Well now, I found three (3) of them.

      Kingsland, Worcestershire, a little NW of Leominster
      Kingsland,Co. Roscommon, Ireland
      Kingsland, GWY, Wales, near Holyhead the port where you catch the hovercraft
      over to Ireland.

      Kathy
      http://members.shaw.ca/kashuba4
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
        Hello again Xenia,
        This is a Parish and Church Locator, site.
        http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/parloc/search.html

        Pat and Bill
        pat0bill@...

        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
          Xenia,
          When you use the street map I sent, if you enter Totteham . then scroll
          down till you see Totteham Road N 1, click on there and a map will come up
          showing you Totteham Road, Kingsland.
          I am still looking for the other.
          Pat and Bill
          pat0bill@...
          > A possible match to my London Stanfords gives the following last known
          > addresses:
          >
          > 124 Tottenham Rd., Kingsland
          > 29 Canterbury Rd., London
          >
          > If I were to pursue the Protestant records for an 1800-1808 marriage in a
          > parish near either of these locations, what parish would it be?
          >
          > I have some English maps but not detailed enough for the above.
          >
          > I am looking specifically for Joseph Stanford who was born about 1808 and
          > the last known address of his parents Robert William Stanford and Lydia
          > Wallace was London, UK. Joseph listed his faith as Baptist or Protestant
          on
          > census records in Quebec.
          >
          > à bientôt,
          >
          > Xenia Stanford (president@...)
          > Column: "Nos Racines Francaise" http://globalgazette.net/
          > Local book and magazine sales: http://www.knowmap.com/age/
          > Celtic Stone Art: http://www/celticstoneart.com
          > Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564

        • Gordon Lane
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
            124 Tottenham Road, Kingsland, Middlesex N1 4DY

            It's between Islington and Hackney. In the AFHS Library is the 1891
            Census which has a street index, should show you what parish it is in

            29 Canterbury Road, Harrow, Middlesex, HA2 6AA
            29 Canterbury Road, London, E10 6EE
            29 Canterbury Road, Feltham, TW13 5LE

            Found via

            http://www.old-maps.co.uk/

            Regards

            Gordon Lane
            Treasurer
            Alberta Family Histories Society http://www.afhs.ab.ca
            Personal Web Site: http://www.rumbolt.com

            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
              Thanks Pat and Bill,

              This looks like the right one
              http://www.streetmap.co.uk/ because when I enter Tottenham and then go to
              Tottenham Road, London, I find it is in the district of Kingsland. I thought
              it was London from the context in which I found it.

              So it looks like the two addresses are in London at
              Tottenham Road, London, N_1
              Canterbury Road, London, E_10

              Now just have to find the parishes and I suspect the Kingsland one is the
              better one to try as it was an 1898 death entry and the Canterbury death
              entry was 1918. Since Joseph Stanford was in Canada by 1835 and deceased by
              1881, it could be his son Joseph who passed away in 1897 so if I am lucky
              the 1898 entry could be a will with something left to family in England,
              which if so means they kept in touch. Wishful thinking perhaps!

              However, if it is then I suspect the family parish may have been at the
              Tottenham Road, Kingsland, London and hopefully I can find some earlier
              parish records for that area.

              à bientôt,

              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
                Thanks Gordon and all,

                I think I have the right locations now and will be concentrating on the 1898
                death entry for the Tottenham Road, Kingsland, London/Middlesex parish.

                à bientôt,

                Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564

                124 Tottenham Road, Kingsland, Middlesex N1 4DY

                It's between Islington and Hackney. In the AFHS Library is the 1891
                Census which has a street index, should show you what parish it is in

                29 Canterbury Road, Harrow, Middlesex, HA2 6AA
                29 Canterbury Road, London, E10 6EE
                29 Canterbury Road, Feltham, TW13 5LE

                Found via

                http://www.old-maps.co.uk/

                Regards

                Gordon Lane
                Treasurer
                Alberta Family Histories Society http://www.afhs.ab.ca
                Personal Web Site: http://www.rumbolt.com

              • Connie Inkster
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
                  Xenia,

                  Have you checked this map site for the 2 addresses?
                  http://www.streetmap.co.uk/
                  I find this website is great for locating places in England.

                  Another useful site is http://www.findachurch.co.uk/index.html

                  124 Tottenham Rd., Kingsland is in London - it might be in the parish of
                  Hackney or Islington.

                  29 Canterbury Rd., London is in Kilburn. According to my map of London there
                  is a St. Augustine Church several blocks away. If you do a Google search on
                  this church, one of the pages gives you info but not the parish.
                  http://www.cofe.anglican.org/infosheets/callsh.asp?dioname=C08691
                  Another site http://www.bishopoffulham.co.uk/members.htm#sakilburn implys
                  that it is in the parish of Fulham.

                  Connie Inkster

                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
                    I could not find the parish entry at the locator you sent. There are no
                    entries for the family in the 1881 Canadian census so it is possible they
                    moved to the UK for a few years. A son was born in Montreal in 1878 and a
                    son in Ottawa in 1884 so this is a bit strange.

                    However, I do know the son born in 1878 in Montreal, married in Montreal in
                    1901 and had his family there between 1904 and 1918 but died in London in
                    1925 (buried in Montreal) so I assume they kept family ties going with those
                    on the other side of the pond as they say.

                    Perhaps I should also look at the Canterbury death record in 1918 in case it
                    is related but that is for a female Stanford listing a deceased Joseph as a
                    spouse so I will try the 1898 first because that is the spouse Joseph.

                    Could I actually be homing in on the next generation back?!

                    à bientôt,