Re: Where is Kingsland UK?

  • The Kashubas
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
      Well now, I found three (3) of them.

      Kingsland, Worcestershire, a little NW of Leominster
      Kingsland,Co. Roscommon, Ireland
      Kingsland, GWY, Wales, near Holyhead the port where you catch the hovercraft
      over to Ireland.

      Kathy
      http://members.shaw.ca/kashuba4
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
        Hello again Xenia,
        This is a Parish and Church Locator, site.
        http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/parloc/search.html

        Pat and Bill
        pat0bill@...
        > A possible match to my London Stanfords gives the following last known
        > addresses:
        >
        > 124 Tottenham Rd., Kingsland
        > 29 Canterbury Rd., London
        >
        > If I were to pursue the Protestant records for an 1800-1808 marriage in a
        > parish near either of these locations, what parish would it be?
        >
        > I have some English maps but not detailed enough for the above.
        >
        > I am looking specifically for Joseph Stanford who was born about 1808 and
        > the last known address of his parents Robert William Stanford and Lydia
        > Wallace was London, UK. Joseph listed his faith as Baptist or Protestant
        on
        > census records in Quebec.
        >
        > à bientôt,
        >
        > Xenia Stanford (president@...)
        > Column: "Nos Racines Francaise" http://globalgazette.net/
        > Local book and magazine sales: http://www.knowmap.com/age/
        > Celtic Stone Art: http://www/celticstoneart.com
        > Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564

      • Alan Muise-Benner
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
          Xenia;

          I searched the parish locator site (link below) for Kingsland, and found one match, the parish of Kingsland, in Herefordshire.

          Al

          BritishIslesGenWeb Parish Locator Search Engine

          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
            Xenia,
            When you use the street map I sent, if you enter Totteham . then scroll
            down till you see Totteham Road N 1, click on there and a map will come up
            showing you Totteham Road, Kingsland.
            I am still looking for the other.
            Pat and Bill
            pat0bill@...
            > A possible match to my London Stanfords gives the following last known
            > addresses:
            >
            > 124 Tottenham Rd., Kingsland
            > 29 Canterbury Rd., London
            >
            > If I were to pursue the Protestant records for an 1800-1808 marriage in a
            > parish near either of these locations, what parish would it be?
            >
            > I have some English maps but not detailed enough for the above.
            >
            > I am looking specifically for Joseph Stanford who was born about 1808 and
            > the last known address of his parents Robert William Stanford and Lydia
            > Wallace was London, UK. Joseph listed his faith as Baptist or Protestant
            on
            > census records in Quebec.
            >
            > à bientôt,
            >
            > Xenia Stanford (president@...)
            > Column: "Nos Racines Francaise" http://globalgazette.net/
            > Local book and magazine sales: http://www.knowmap.com/age/
            > Celtic Stone Art: http://www/celticstoneart.com
            > Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564

          • Gordon Lane
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
              124 Tottenham Road, Kingsland, Middlesex N1 4DY

              It's between Islington and Hackney. In the AFHS Library is the 1891
              Census which has a street index, should show you what parish it is in

              29 Canterbury Road, Harrow, Middlesex, HA2 6AA
              29 Canterbury Road, London, E10 6EE
              29 Canterbury Road, Feltham, TW13 5LE

              Found via

              http://www.old-maps.co.uk/

              Regards

              Gordon Lane
              Treasurer
              Alberta Family Histories Society http://www.afhs.ab.ca
              Personal Web Site: http://www.rumbolt.com

              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
                Thanks Pat and Bill,

                This looks like the right one
                http://www.streetmap.co.uk/ because when I enter Tottenham and then go to
                Tottenham Road, London, I find it is in the district of Kingsland. I thought
                it was London from the context in which I found it.

                So it looks like the two addresses are in London at
                Tottenham Road, London, N_1
                Canterbury Road, London, E_10

                Now just have to find the parishes and I suspect the Kingsland one is the
                better one to try as it was an 1898 death entry and the Canterbury death
                entry was 1918. Since Joseph Stanford was in Canada by 1835 and deceased by
                1881, it could be his son Joseph who passed away in 1897 so if I am lucky
                the 1898 entry could be a will with something left to family in England,
                which if so means they kept in touch. Wishful thinking perhaps!

                However, if it is then I suspect the family parish may have been at the
                Tottenham Road, Kingsland, London and hopefully I can find some earlier
                parish records for that area.

                à bientôt,

                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
                  Thanks Gordon and all,

                  I think I have the right locations now and will be concentrating on the 1898
                  death entry for the Tottenham Road, Kingsland, London/Middlesex parish.

                  à bientôt,

                  Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564

                  124 Tottenham Road, Kingsland, Middlesex N1 4DY

                  It's between Islington and Hackney. In the AFHS Library is the 1891
                  Census which has a street index, should show you what parish it is in

                  29 Canterbury Road, Harrow, Middlesex, HA2 6AA
                  29 Canterbury Road, London, E10 6EE
                  29 Canterbury Road, Feltham, TW13 5LE

                  Found via

                  http://www.old-maps.co.uk/

                  Regards

                  Gordon Lane
                  Treasurer
                  Alberta Family Histories Society http://www.afhs.ab.ca
                  Personal Web Site: http://www.rumbolt.com

                • Connie Inkster
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
                    Xenia,

                    Have you checked this map site for the 2 addresses?
                    http://www.streetmap.co.uk/
                    I find this website is great for locating places in England.

                    Another useful site is http://www.findachurch.co.uk/index.html

                    124 Tottenham Rd., Kingsland is in London - it might be in the parish of
                    Hackney or Islington.

                    29 Canterbury Rd., London is in Kilburn. According to my map of London there
                    is a St. Augustine Church several blocks away. If you do a Google search on
                    this church, one of the pages gives you info but not the parish.
                    http://www.cofe.anglican.org/infosheets/callsh.asp?dioname=C08691
                    Another site http://www.bishopoffulham.co.uk/members.htm#sakilburn implys
                    that it is in the parish of Fulham.

                    Connie Inkster

                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
                      I could not find the parish entry at the locator you sent. There are no
                      entries for the family in the 1881 Canadian census so it is possible they
                      moved to the UK for a few years. A son was born in Montreal in 1878 and a
                      son in Ottawa in 1884 so this is a bit strange.

                      However, I do know the son born in 1878 in Montreal, married in Montreal in
                      1901 and had his family there between 1904 and 1918 but died in London in
                      1925 (buried in Montreal) so I assume they kept family ties going with those
                      on the other side of the pond as they say.

                      Perhaps I should also look at the Canterbury death record in 1918 in case it
                      is related but that is for a female Stanford listing a deceased Joseph as a
                      spouse so I will try the 1898 first because that is the spouse Joseph.

                      Could I actually be homing in on the next generation back?!

                      à bientôt,