Where is Kingsland UK?

    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
      A possible match to my London Stanfords gives the following last known
      addresses:

      124 Tottenham Rd., Kingsland
      29 Canterbury Rd., London

      If I were to pursue the Protestant records for an 1800-1808 marriage in a
      parish near either of these locations, what parish would it be?

      I have some English maps but not detailed enough for the above.

      I am looking specifically for Joseph Stanford who was born about 1808 and
      the last known address of his parents Robert William Stanford and Lydia
      Wallace was London, UK. Joseph listed his faith as Baptist or Protestant on
      census records in Quebec.

      à bientôt,

      Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • The Kashubas
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
        Well now, I found three (3) of them.

        Kingsland, Worcestershire, a little NW of Leominster
        Kingsland,Co. Roscommon, Ireland
        Kingsland, GWY, Wales, near Holyhead the port where you catch the hovercraft
        over to Ireland.

        Kathy
        http://members.shaw.ca/kashuba4
        > A possible match to my London Stanfords gives the following last known
        > addresses:
        >
        > 124 Tottenham Rd., Kingsland
        > 29 Canterbury Rd., London
        >
        > If I were to pursue the Protestant records for an 1800-1808 marriage in a
        > parish near either of these locations, what parish would it be?
        >
        > I have some English maps but not detailed enough for the above.
        >
        > I am looking specifically for Joseph Stanford who was born about 1808 and
        > the last known address of his parents Robert William Stanford and Lydia
        > Wallace was London, UK. Joseph listed his faith as Baptist or Protestant
        on
        > census records in Quebec.
        >
        > à bientôt,
        >
        > Xenia Stanford (president@...)
        > Column: "Nos Racines Francaise" http://globalgazette.net/
        > Local book and magazine sales: http://www.knowmap.com/age/
        > Celtic Stone Art: http://www/celticstoneart.com
        > Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564

      • Pat and Bill
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
          Hello Xenia,
          Could these be of some help ?
          http://www.multimap.com/

          http://www.streetmap.co.uk

          Pat and Bill
          pat0bill@...

          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
            Hello again Xenia,
            This is a Parish and Church Locator, site.
            http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/parloc/search.html

            Pat and Bill
            pat0bill@...
            > A possible match to my London Stanfords gives the following last known
            > addresses:
            >
            > 124 Tottenham Rd., Kingsland
            > 29 Canterbury Rd., London
            >
            > If I were to pursue the Protestant records for an 1800-1808 marriage in a
            > parish near either of these locations, what parish would it be?
            >
            > I have some English maps but not detailed enough for the above.
            >
            > I am looking specifically for Joseph Stanford who was born about 1808 and
            > the last known address of his parents Robert William Stanford and Lydia
            > Wallace was London, UK. Joseph listed his faith as Baptist or Protestant
            on
            > census records in Quebec.
            >
            > à bientôt,
            >
            > Xenia Stanford (president@...)
            > Column: "Nos Racines Francaise" http://globalgazette.net/
            > Local book and magazine sales: http://www.knowmap.com/age/
            > Celtic Stone Art: http://www/celticstoneart.com
            > Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564

          • Alan Muise-Benner
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
              Xenia;

              I searched the parish locator site (link below) for Kingsland, and found one match, the parish of Kingsland, in Herefordshire.

              Al

              BritishIslesGenWeb Parish Locator Search Engine

              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
                Xenia,
                When you use the street map I sent, if you enter Totteham . then scroll
                down till you see Totteham Road N 1, click on there and a map will come up
                showing you Totteham Road, Kingsland.
                I am still looking for the other.
                Pat and Bill
                pat0bill@...
                > A possible match to my London Stanfords gives the following last known
                > addresses:
                >
                > 124 Tottenham Rd., Kingsland
                > 29 Canterbury Rd., London
                >
                > If I were to pursue the Protestant records for an 1800-1808 marriage in a
                > parish near either of these locations, what parish would it be?
                >
                > I have some English maps but not detailed enough for the above.
                >
                > I am looking specifically for Joseph Stanford who was born about 1808 and
                > the last known address of his parents Robert William Stanford and Lydia
                > Wallace was London, UK. Joseph listed his faith as Baptist or Protestant
                on
                > census records in Quebec.
                >
                > à bientôt,
                >
                > Xenia Stanford (president@...)
                > Column: "Nos Racines Francaise" http://globalgazette.net/
                > Local book and magazine sales: http://www.knowmap.com/age/
                > Celtic Stone Art: http://www/celticstoneart.com
                > Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564

              • Gordon Lane
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
                  124 Tottenham Road, Kingsland, Middlesex N1 4DY

                  It's between Islington and Hackney. In the AFHS Library is the 1891
                  Census which has a street index, should show you what parish it is in

                  29 Canterbury Road, Harrow, Middlesex, HA2 6AA
                  29 Canterbury Road, London, E10 6EE
                  29 Canterbury Road, Feltham, TW13 5LE

                  Found via

                  http://www.old-maps.co.uk/

                  Regards

                  Gordon Lane
                  Treasurer
                  Alberta Family Histories Society http://www.afhs.ab.ca
                  Personal Web Site: http://www.rumbolt.com

                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
                    Thanks Pat and Bill,

                    This looks like the right one
                    http://www.streetmap.co.uk/ because when I enter Tottenham and then go to
                    Tottenham Road, London, I find it is in the district of Kingsland. I thought
                    it was London from the context in which I found it.

                    So it looks like the two addresses are in London at
                    Tottenham Road, London, N_1
                    Canterbury Road, London, E_10

                    Now just have to find the parishes and I suspect the Kingsland one is the
                    better one to try as it was an 1898 death entry and the Canterbury death
                    entry was 1918. Since Joseph Stanford was in Canada by 1835 and deceased by
                    1881, it could be his son Joseph who passed away in 1897 so if I am lucky
                    the 1898 entry could be a will with something left to family in England,
                    which if so means they kept in touch. Wishful thinking perhaps!

                    However, if it is then I suspect the family parish may have been at the
                    Tottenham Road, Kingsland, London and hopefully I can find some earlier
                    parish records for that area.

                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
                      Thanks Gordon and all,

                      I think I have the right locations now and will be concentrating on the 1898
                      death entry for the Tottenham Road, Kingsland, London/Middlesex parish.

                      à bientôt,

                      Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564

                      124 Tottenham Road, Kingsland, Middlesex N1 4DY

                      It's between Islington and Hackney. In the AFHS Library is the 1891
                      Census which has a street index, should show you what parish it is in

                      29 Canterbury Road, Harrow, Middlesex, HA2 6AA
                      29 Canterbury Road, London, E10 6EE
                      29 Canterbury Road, Feltham, TW13 5LE

                      Found via

                      http://www.old-maps.co.uk/

                      Regards

                      Gordon Lane
                      Treasurer
                      Alberta Family Histories Society http://www.afhs.ab.ca
                      Personal Web Site: http://www.rumbolt.com

                    • Connie Inkster
                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
                        Xenia,

                        Have you checked this map site for the 2 addresses?
                        http://www.streetmap.co.uk/
                        I find this website is great for locating places in England.

                        Another useful site is http://www.findachurch.co.uk/index.html

                        124 Tottenham Rd., Kingsland is in London - it might be in the parish of
                        Hackney or Islington.

                        29 Canterbury Rd., London is in Kilburn. According to my map of London there
                        is a St. Augustine Church several blocks away. If you do a Google search on
                        this church, one of the pages gives you info but not the parish.
                        http://www.cofe.anglican.org/infosheets/callsh.asp?dioname=C08691
                        Another site http://www.bishopoffulham.co.uk/members.htm#sakilburn implys
                        that it is in the parish of Fulham.

                        Connie Inkster

                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 4, 2002
                          I could not find the parish entry at the locator you sent. There are no
                          entries for the family in the 1881 Canadian census so it is possible they
                          moved to the UK for a few years. A son was born in Montreal in 1878 and a
                          son in Ottawa in 1884 so this is a bit strange.

                          However, I do know the son born in 1878 in Montreal, married in Montreal in
                          1901 and had his family there between 1904 and 1918 but died in London in
                          1925 (buried in Montreal) so I assume they kept family ties going with those
                          on the other side of the pond as they say.

                          Perhaps I should also look at the Canterbury death record in 1918 in case it
                          is related but that is for a female Stanford listing a deceased Joseph as a
                          spouse so I will try the 1898 first because that is the spouse Joseph.

                          Could I actually be homing in on the next generation back?!