British Birth Certificates

  • Judi Lee
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 29, 2002
      In my Grandmother's family there were thirteen children.  I have found most of them on the British 1901 census, but would like to know their exact birthdates.  I have found their entries on the GRO Index and have discovered that they were all born in the same registration district.  If I were to send to the local registration office for twelve certificates, how much should I send for postage, assuming that the certificates can all be sent to me in the same envelope?   I assume that this would be cheaper than paying for postage on each one individually.  Has anyone done this?
      Judi

      ____________________
      Judi Lee
      Director
      Calgary Family History Centre

      Please visit my website at
      <http://members.platinum.ca/julee/welcome.htm>

      Email me
      judi.lee@... <mailto:judi.lee@...>

      "Those who do not look upon themselves as links connecting the past with the future do not perform their duty to the world." -- Daniel Webster

    • Rene Dussome
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 29, 2002
        Judi:

        The most recent Birth Certificate that I received from England (October
        24, 2002) weighs 4g.

        Go to the Royal Mail website for prices:

        www.royalmail.com

        In the left hand column click Personal Mail
        In the 2nd column scroll down until you reach Mailing Abroad
        Click on Prices
        In the centre of the screen click on Airmail Prices

        It's a bit of a pain because each screen takes a while to load but you
        get there in the end.

        There is a table showing weights and prices and zones. We are in zone 1.

        The prices listed are:

        47p = 10g
        68p = 20g
        £1.12 = 40g
        £1.56 = 60g

        I have never ordered multiple copies of certificates and normally I
        don't advise people to do that. The reason is that if for some reason
        the Register Office is unable to supply one of the certificates
        requested then they will simply send your remittance back and tell you
        to send another remittance. They will not send the certificates they can
        supply because they have no means of refunding your money for the
        missing certificates

        However, in your case it would be a bit unwieldy to purchase 12 bank
        drafts or money orders so go ahead and obtain one bank draft or money
        order and see what happens.

        Good luck.

        Rene