wisconsin interests?

  • Judith Rempel
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 29, 2002
      Rec'd the following and thought I'd pass it along:

      1. "Wisconsin Local History on the Web"

      The Wisconsin Historical Society Library recently mounted more
      collections on the World Wide
      Web for genealogists and local historians.

      "Wisconsin Local History & Biography Articles"
      (www.wisconsinhistory.org/wlhba/index.asp)
      contains nearly 16,000 local newspaper articles published statewide
      between 1860 and 1940.
      These consist mainly of pioneer reminiscences, portraits of community
      institutions,
      interviews with early settlers, strange anecdotes of eccentric
      personalities, and other
      grass-roots information. These real stories of real people have not been
      altered in any way;
      images of the original newspaper articles display on the researcher's
      screen. All of them are
      easy to search by personal name or a variety of subject headings,
      about 50,000 pages of local history and genealogy in all.

      There is no charge to use this collection. It is made possible by
      funding from the Wisconsin
      Dept. of Public instruction through the Library Services and Technology
      Act and through a
      very generous donation from the late Scott M. Cutlip, a UW-Madison
      professor of mass
      communications.

      If you have any questions about the website, contact Michael Edmonds,
      Deputy Director,
      Library/Archives Division, Wisconsin Historical Society, at
      miedmonds@..., or use
      the feedback buttons on the web site.

      2. "Order Wisconsin Vital Records Online"

      A new online service from the Wisconsin Historical Society lets you
      order a search of
      Wisconsin's pre-1907 birth, marriage and death records over the
      Internet.

      Vital records are a fundamental information source for genealogists.
      They can reveal minute
      details about a person such as birth, marriage or death date, birth
      place, maiden name, and
      religious affiliation, as well as information about their parents.
      Genealogists use them as
      stepping stones to other valuable sources such as obituaries and census
      records.

      Requesting a search online is quite simple. After receiving your
      instructions and credit card
      payment via our secure Web site, staff trained in researching Wisconsin
      vital records will
      carefully search for the records you specify and send photocopies of
      their findings. All
      orders are guaranteed to ship within 4 weeks; rush service is also
      available for an
      additional charge. For more information, including the fee schedule,
      visit the Society's
      Online Genealogical Research Service at

      http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/genealogy/ogrs/index.html

      or contact Michael Edmonds, Deputy Director, Library/Archives Division,
      Wisconsin Historical
      Society, at historydocs@...

      --
      In Kinship,
      Judith Rempel, Webster

      FamilyRoots 2002
      http://www.family-roots.ca

      Canadian Genealogical Projects Register
      http://www.afhs.ab.ca/registry/
    • cphillip@telus.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 31, 2002
        Judii,

        Thank you for sending information on the Wisconsin sites. I have done one
        search on the Local History site and plan to do another. My ancestors in
        Wisconsin may not have been very newsworthy, but its worth a try.

        Caroline Phillips

        > Rec'd the following and thought I'd pass it along:
        >
        > 1. "Wisconsin Local History on the Web"
        >
        > The Wisconsin Historical Society Library recently mounted more
        > collections on the World Wide
        > Web for genealogists and local historians.
        >
        > "Wisconsin Local History & Biography Articles"
        > (www.wisconsinhistory.org/wlhba/index.asp)
        > contains nearly 16,000 local newspaper articles published statewide
        > between 1860 and 1940.

        <snip>

        > 2. "Order Wisconsin Vital Records Online"
        >
        > A new online service from the Wisconsin Historical Society lets you
        > order a search of
        > Wisconsin's pre-1907 birth, marriage and death records over the
        > Internet.

        snip>