RE: Higgs - Cushing marriage

    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 25, 2002
      Hi Elizabeth,

      Did you also check out Genealogy of MAUD ALICE CUSHING born 1880 at

      http://www.geocities.com/wrcushing/ca/maud1880.html

      It lists her children with Higgs.

      à bientôt,

      Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564

      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 25, 2002
        Re: DOB of Maud Please consider that some women returned to the east
        for the birth of their children. Some in my family did.
        Dianne

        Xenia Stanford wrote:

        > Also Elizabeth, I found in searching the Glenbow Archives at
        > http://www.glenbow.org/lasearch/basic.htm
        >
        > using the word Cushing:
        >
        > Title
        > CUSHING FAMILY BUSINESSES FONDS
        >
        > Dates
        > 1912-1977
        >
        > Physical description
        > 50 cm of textual records. -- 36 photographs
        >
        > History
        > Alfred Bruce Cushing, 1865-1944, was born in Ontario and taught there for
        > many years. In 1900 he moved to Edmonton where he joined his younger
        > brother, Arthur, in managing a branch of Cushing Brothers Ltd., a lumber
        > company started in Calgary, Alberta in 1885 by their older brother, William
        > H. Cushing. A.B. Cushing was vice-president and manager, and later
        > secretary-treasurer of Cushing Brothers until 1910. In 1911 he formed his
        > own lumber business in Calgary, the A.B. Cushing Lumber Company. In 1926
        > this company amalgamated with R.L. Cushing Millwork Company of Moose Jaw,
        > and the Vancouver firms of Masterbilt Doors, Cushing Mills (British
        > Columbia), and North Vancouver Sawmills under the name A.B. Cushing Mills
        > Ltd.

        > There is more there to this listing and it is 1 of ten records mentioning
        > the Cushing family.
        > According to this William H. Cushing was in Calgary by 1885 but if one and
        > the same, the family perhaps did not join him until after Maud's birth in
        > 1886.
        >
        > But record 4 shows Mrs. W.H. Cushing was in Calgary by 1885 as well:
        > The Methodist Ladies' Society led by Mrs. W.H. Cushing, and the Blue Ribbon
        > Temperance Society both began in 1885.
        >
        > So either the DOB for Maud is wrong (pretty fuzzy on the film) or the place
        > of birth is wrong for her. To me it looks like Maud's birthday is 24 Sept.
        > 1880 rather than 1886 in the printed index. This would also match with the
        > age 22 for her marriage to F.F. Higgs in 1902.

        http://www.afhs.ab.ca
      • E.Rodier
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 25, 2002
          Hi Dianne,
          Thanks for the suggestion. The two older girls belonged to the first Mrs.
          Cushing who died in Ontario and they are listed in the household with
          grandparents in 1881. 1901 online census information for them is unclear.
          Three children of the second Mrs. Cushing died as infants during the 1880s
          in Calgary. Sandstone gravestone at Union is unclear in a 2002 photo and
          father's marker in another section appears to have different date for one of
          the infants. There are two stones for the third Mrs. Cushing.

          Combined files of three researchers yet to be sorted out, especially for the
          Higgs descendants. Variations for a few details in the Higgs book, newspaper
          clippings and Cushing web site.

          Eventually my files will have images of source documents and newspaper
          articles showing the details that do not match from one source to another.
          This group has connections to my earliest relatives in Calgary 1907, family
          stories and several keepsakes.
          Elizabeth

          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 25, 2002
            This could be true, except that Maud's birth is shown in other places as
            1880, which is consistent with her marriage records so the 1886 was a
            mistake on the indexer's part since the microfilm image is fuzzy.

            a bientot,