RE: Higgs - Cushing marriage

    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 25, 2002
      Also Elizabeth, I found in searching the Glenbow Archives at
      http://www.glenbow.org/lasearch/basic.htm

      using the word Cushing:

      Title
      CUSHING FAMILY BUSINESSES FONDS

      Dates
      1912-1977

      Physical description
      50 cm of textual records. -- 36 photographs

      History
      Alfred Bruce Cushing, 1865-1944, was born in Ontario and taught there for
      many years. In 1900 he moved to Edmonton where he joined his younger
      brother, Arthur, in managing a branch of Cushing Brothers Ltd., a lumber
      company started in Calgary, Alberta in 1885 by their older brother, William
      H. Cushing. A.B. Cushing was vice-president and manager, and later
      secretary-treasurer of Cushing Brothers until 1910. In 1911 he formed his
      own lumber business in Calgary, the A.B. Cushing Lumber Company. In 1926
      this company amalgamated with R.L. Cushing Millwork Company of Moose Jaw,
      and the Vancouver firms of Masterbilt Doors, Cushing Mills (British
      Columbia), and North Vancouver Sawmills under the name A.B. Cushing Mills
      Ltd.

      There is more there to this listing and it is 1 of ten records mentioning
      the Cushing family.
      According to this William H. Cushing was in Calgary by 1885 but if one and
      the same, the family perhaps did not join him until after Maud's birth in
      1886.

      But record 4 shows Mrs. W.H. Cushing was in Calgary by 1885 as well:
      The Methodist Ladies' Society led by Mrs. W.H. Cushing, and the Blue Ribbon
      Temperance Society both began in 1885.

      So either the DOB for Maud is wrong (pretty fuzzy on the film) or the place
      of birth is wrong for her. To me it looks like Maud's birthday is 24 Sept.
      1880 rather than 1886 in the printed index. This would also match with the
      age 22 for her marriage to F.F. Higgs in 1902.

      This is a good lesson not to take indexed material as the final word!

      Wm. H. Cushing is mentioned in several other places in the 10 records and
      the Cushing brothers' mill(s).

      When I enter Higgs or Higg in the Archives search I get 0 hits.

      But when I search in the photo collection at
      http://www.glenbow.org/lasearch/photo.htm
      there are 9 hits including
      Image number: LIB-2-3
      Title: Front elevation drawing of Calgary Furniture Store, Calgary, Alberta.
      Date: [ca. 1905]
      Remarks: William M. Dodd, architect. Building constructed for F.F. Higgs in
      1902 - 1903. Located at 126 - 8th Avenue East. Copied from "Picturesque
      Calgary", 1903 (Pam971.239 C151pic).
      Subjects: Architectural drawings / Calgary, Alberta - Buildings

      There is an H. Higgs listed as a member of the Students' Council, 1928-1929,
      University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta. He could be the Herb Higgs shown
      at the General Supplies Limited banquet, Calgary, Alberta. Other pictures
      show a P.W. Higgs or Pat Higgs and one of the Officers, 15th Canadian Light
      Horse, Sarcee Army Camp, Calgary, Alberta as simply Mr. Higgs.

      Either Herb (h.) or Pat (P.W.) Higgs could be children of F.F. Higgs and
      Maud Cushing.

      Still no clue to your J.F. Higgs but there may be something in the Glenbow
      Archives of help.

      W.H. Cushing is also found in the photo archives - namely picture of him
      among "Members of the first Alberta Legislature" 1905 and a nice large photo
      of Honorable W.H. Cushing, Alberta Minister of Public Works (ca 1905).

      Also the photo archives tell us that Louise Bridge was named for the
      daughter of W.H. Cushing, Minister of Public Works.

      There are many other photos including of his brother A.W. Cushing.

      So if you are looking for pioneer Alberta families especially in southern
      Alberta, don't forget to search both the Glenbow Archives and the photo
      Archives. You can also search the Glenbow library at
      http://www.glenbow.org/lasearch/glencat.htm even though in this particular
      case I didn't find anything about Cushing or Higgs.

      à bientôt,

      Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564

      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 25, 2002
        Hi Elizabeth,

        Did you also check out Genealogy of MAUD ALICE CUSHING born 1880 at

        http://www.geocities.com/wrcushing/ca/maud1880.html

        It lists her children with Higgs.

      • dinie@telusplanet.net
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 25, 2002
          Re: DOB of Maud Please consider that some women returned to the east
          for the birth of their children. Some in my family did.
          Dianne

          Xenia Stanford wrote:

          > Also Elizabeth, I found in searching the Glenbow Archives at
          > http://www.glenbow.org/lasearch/basic.htm
          >
          > using the word Cushing:
          >
          > Title
          > CUSHING FAMILY BUSINESSES FONDS
          >
          > Dates
          > 1912-1977
          >
          > Physical description
          > 50 cm of textual records. -- 36 photographs
          >
          > History
          > Alfred Bruce Cushing, 1865-1944, was born in Ontario and taught there for
          > many years. In 1900 he moved to Edmonton where he joined his younger
          > brother, Arthur, in managing a branch of Cushing Brothers Ltd., a lumber
          > company started in Calgary, Alberta in 1885 by their older brother, William
          > H. Cushing. A.B. Cushing was vice-president and manager, and later
          > secretary-treasurer of Cushing Brothers until 1910. In 1911 he formed his
          > own lumber business in Calgary, the A.B. Cushing Lumber Company. In 1926
          > this company amalgamated with R.L. Cushing Millwork Company of Moose Jaw,
          > and the Vancouver firms of Masterbilt Doors, Cushing Mills (British
          > Columbia), and North Vancouver Sawmills under the name A.B. Cushing Mills
          > Ltd.

          > There is more there to this listing and it is 1 of ten records mentioning
          > the Cushing family.
          > According to this William H. Cushing was in Calgary by 1885 but if one and
          > the same, the family perhaps did not join him until after Maud's birth in
          > 1886.
          >
          > But record 4 shows Mrs. W.H. Cushing was in Calgary by 1885 as well:
          > The Methodist Ladies' Society led by Mrs. W.H. Cushing, and the Blue Ribbon
          > Temperance Society both began in 1885.
          >
          > So either the DOB for Maud is wrong (pretty fuzzy on the film) or the place
          > of birth is wrong for her. To me it looks like Maud's birthday is 24 Sept.
          > 1880 rather than 1886 in the printed index. This would also match with the
          > age 22 for her marriage to F.F. Higgs in 1902.

          http://www.afhs.ab.ca
        • E.Rodier
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 25, 2002
            Hi Dianne,
            Thanks for the suggestion. The two older girls belonged to the first Mrs.
            Cushing who died in Ontario and they are listed in the household with
            grandparents in 1881. 1901 online census information for them is unclear.
            Three children of the second Mrs. Cushing died as infants during the 1880s
            in Calgary. Sandstone gravestone at Union is unclear in a 2002 photo and
            father's marker in another section appears to have different date for one of
            the infants. There are two stones for the third Mrs. Cushing.

            Combined files of three researchers yet to be sorted out, especially for the
            Higgs descendants. Variations for a few details in the Higgs book, newspaper
            clippings and Cushing web site.

            Eventually my files will have images of source documents and newspaper
            articles showing the details that do not match from one source to another.
            This group has connections to my earliest relatives in Calgary 1907, family
            stories and several keepsakes.
            Elizabeth

            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 25, 2002
              This could be true, except that Maud's birth is shown in other places as
              1880, which is consistent with her marriage records so the 1886 was a
              mistake on the indexer's part since the microfilm image is fuzzy.

              a bientot,