Higgs - Cushing marriage

  • E.Rodier
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 24, 2002
      April 16, 1902 F.F. Higgs, proprietor of The Calgary Furniture Company
      married Alice Maud Cushing, daughter of former mayor W. H. Cushing. Does
      anyone have connections to the Higgs family? A son Dr. Higgs worked in
      Calgary and moved to BC prior to 1934.

      I'm looking for any information to identify JF Higgs listed in an index to
      the 1891 census. FF Higgs left home before the 1891 census and may have been
      in Calgary. The Calgary Furniture Company ads regularly appeared in the 1902
      Herald and he was president of the young liberals. Found the wedding
      announcements in Herald and Albertan online newspaper images. -- Elizabeth

      AFHS library has a 530 page book A History of the Higges or Higgs Family
      published in England 1933.
      South Stoke, County of Oxford
      Thatcham, County of Berks

      Chapter XX has The Higgs Family of Bermudas Islands and Charlottetown, PEI
      with the Calgary & BC connection.
      Chapter XXI has the Higgs Family of USA, descendants of John Higgs who
      settled in Virginia about 1650

      The book is interesting for the amount of detail on the Higgs family, closer
      to a one-name study than a traditional family book with all descendants of a
      selected ancestor. It has an index of places, index to subjects, index of
      names and separate index for names in the USA chapter. Lots of pictures and
      some family charts, no maps.

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • wally whiteside
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 25, 2002
        "E.Rodier" wrote:

        > April 16, 1902 F.F. Higgs, proprietor of The Calgary Furniture Company
        > married Alice Maud Cushing, daughter of former mayor W. H. Cushing. Does
        > anyone have connections to the Higgs family? A son Dr. Higgs worked in
        > Calgary and moved to BC prior to 1934.
        >
        > I'm looking for any information to identify JF Higgs listed in an index to
        > the 1891 census. FF Higgs left home before the 1891 census and may have been
        > in Calgary. The Calgary Furniture Company ads regularly appeared in the 1902
        > Herald and he was president of the young liberals. Found the wedding
        > announcements in Herald and Albertan online newspaper images. -- Elizabeth
        >
        > AFHS library has a 530 page book A History of the Higges or Higgs Family
        > published in England 1933.
        > South Stoke, County of Oxford
        > Thatcham, County of Berks
        >
        > Chapter XX has The Higgs Family of Bermudas Islands and Charlottetown, PEI
        > with the Calgary & BC connection.
        > Chapter XXI has the Higgs Family of USA, descendants of John Higgs who
        > settled in Virginia about 1650
        >
        > The book is interesting for the amount of detail on the Higgs family, closer
        > to a one-name study than a traditional family book with all descendants of a
        > selected ancestor. It has an index of places, index to subjects, index of
        > names and separate index for names in the USA chapter. Lots of pictures and
        > some family charts, no maps.
        >
        > http://www.afhs.ab.ca

        Hi Elizabeth,

        I went to school with a Gerry Higgs in the '40s. I think he had connections in
        Alberta. He now lives in Richmond BC at 4-6600 Lucas Road, Richmond BC, V7C
        4T1. His telephone number is 1-604-275-5966.

        Wally Whiteside

        http://www.afhs.ab.ca
      • owner@distgen.rumbolt.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 25, 2002
          > I went to school with a Gerry Higgs in the '40s.

          Please all remember that this is an open list and is archived on Yahoo.
          He probably does not have an unlisted phone # and address, but many
          people do and would not appreciate the publicity.

          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 25, 2002
            Hi Elizabeth,

            In the Index to the BMD of Alberta District of NWT 1870-1905, Volume 1 I
            find the following:

            Higgs, Frederick Fishenden, spouse Alice Maud Cushing married 18 Apr 1902 in
            Calgary. Groom age 34, bride age 22. File Reg. #15-1654-0013E. This
            registration may tell you the groom's and bride's parents' names but they
            are not in the index. Also perhaps you will find a marriage announcement in
            the Herald at the time.

            Higgs, Nora Louisa, daughter of above couple, born 09 Sep 1904 Calgary
            (mother's name given as Maud Alice instead of Alice Maud as above).

            Higgs, William Darby, son of above couple, born 01 Jun 1903 in Calgary
            (again mother's name as Maud Alice Cushing in the index).

            Higgs, Bessie, married Robert Ernest Fawcett in Lacombe on 04 May 1901.

            No other Higgs.

            Other Cushing in index are

            Cushing, John died 27 May 1899 age 44Y, married at the time.
            Cushing, unnamed, female, born 21 May 1889 in Calgary - parents: William
            Henry Cushing and Mary Jane Waters.

            From Index to the 1901 Census - District of Alberta
            Higgs - none
            Cushing - Maud L. b: ONT 1886 Calg. N. p.11.

            You know that you can look this up at
            http://www.archives.ca/02/02012202_e.html by selecting The Territories
            Geographic Location: Calgary (North/Nord)
            Then select schedule 1 and scroll down to p.11
            It will open in a new window and you will see what looks like Maud L. or
            Maude L. or Maudal and parents given as William (b: ONT 1853) and Mary J.
            (b: ONT 1849) Cushing and sister Louise A. (b: ONT 1877)

            So looks like William Henry Cushing and Mary Jane Waters and family came to
            Alberta sometime between 1886 after Maud's birth and 1889 when above unnamed
            daughter was born.

            We have both the above indexes for sale should you wish to have your own
            copy. See http://www.knowmap.com/age/ for our recently updated page.

            Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564

            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 25, 2002
              Also Elizabeth, I found in searching the Glenbow Archives at
              http://www.glenbow.org/lasearch/basic.htm

              using the word Cushing:

              Title
              CUSHING FAMILY BUSINESSES FONDS

              Dates
              1912-1977

              Physical description
              50 cm of textual records. -- 36 photographs

              History
              Alfred Bruce Cushing, 1865-1944, was born in Ontario and taught there for
              many years. In 1900 he moved to Edmonton where he joined his younger
              brother, Arthur, in managing a branch of Cushing Brothers Ltd., a lumber
              company started in Calgary, Alberta in 1885 by their older brother, William
              H. Cushing. A.B. Cushing was vice-president and manager, and later
              secretary-treasurer of Cushing Brothers until 1910. In 1911 he formed his
              own lumber business in Calgary, the A.B. Cushing Lumber Company. In 1926
              this company amalgamated with R.L. Cushing Millwork Company of Moose Jaw,
              and the Vancouver firms of Masterbilt Doors, Cushing Mills (British
              Columbia), and North Vancouver Sawmills under the name A.B. Cushing Mills
              Ltd.

              There is more there to this listing and it is 1 of ten records mentioning
              the Cushing family.
              According to this William H. Cushing was in Calgary by 1885 but if one and
              the same, the family perhaps did not join him until after Maud's birth in
              1886.

              But record 4 shows Mrs. W.H. Cushing was in Calgary by 1885 as well:
              The Methodist Ladies' Society led by Mrs. W.H. Cushing, and the Blue Ribbon
              Temperance Society both began in 1885.

              So either the DOB for Maud is wrong (pretty fuzzy on the film) or the place
              of birth is wrong for her. To me it looks like Maud's birthday is 24 Sept.
              1880 rather than 1886 in the printed index. This would also match with the
              age 22 for her marriage to F.F. Higgs in 1902.

              This is a good lesson not to take indexed material as the final word!

              Wm. H. Cushing is mentioned in several other places in the 10 records and
              the Cushing brothers' mill(s).

              When I enter Higgs or Higg in the Archives search I get 0 hits.

              But when I search in the photo collection at
              http://www.glenbow.org/lasearch/photo.htm
              there are 9 hits including
              Image number: LIB-2-3
              Title: Front elevation drawing of Calgary Furniture Store, Calgary, Alberta.
              Date: [ca. 1905]
              Remarks: William M. Dodd, architect. Building constructed for F.F. Higgs in
              1902 - 1903. Located at 126 - 8th Avenue East. Copied from "Picturesque
              Calgary", 1903 (Pam971.239 C151pic).
              Subjects: Architectural drawings / Calgary, Alberta - Buildings

              There is an H. Higgs listed as a member of the Students' Council, 1928-1929,
              University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta. He could be the Herb Higgs shown
              at the General Supplies Limited banquet, Calgary, Alberta. Other pictures
              show a P.W. Higgs or Pat Higgs and one of the Officers, 15th Canadian Light
              Horse, Sarcee Army Camp, Calgary, Alberta as simply Mr. Higgs.

              Either Herb (h.) or Pat (P.W.) Higgs could be children of F.F. Higgs and
              Maud Cushing.

              Still no clue to your J.F. Higgs but there may be something in the Glenbow
              Archives of help.

              W.H. Cushing is also found in the photo archives - namely picture of him
              among "Members of the first Alberta Legislature" 1905 and a nice large photo
              of Honorable W.H. Cushing, Alberta Minister of Public Works (ca 1905).

              Also the photo archives tell us that Louise Bridge was named for the
              daughter of W.H. Cushing, Minister of Public Works.

              There are many other photos including of his brother A.W. Cushing.

              So if you are looking for pioneer Alberta families especially in southern
              Alberta, don't forget to search both the Glenbow Archives and the photo
              Archives. You can also search the Glenbow library at
              http://www.glenbow.org/lasearch/glencat.htm even though in this particular
              case I didn't find anything about Cushing or Higgs.

              à bientôt,

              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 25, 2002
                Hi Elizabeth,

                Did you also check out Genealogy of MAUD ALICE CUSHING born 1880 at

                http://www.geocities.com/wrcushing/ca/maud1880.html

                It lists her children with Higgs.

                à bientôt,

              • dinie@telusplanet.net
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 25, 2002
                  Re: DOB of Maud Please consider that some women returned to the east
                  for the birth of their children. Some in my family did.
                  Dianne

                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 25, 2002
                    Hi Dianne,
                    Thanks for the suggestion. The two older girls belonged to the first Mrs.
                    Cushing who died in Ontario and they are listed in the household with
                    grandparents in 1881. 1901 online census information for them is unclear.
                    Three children of the second Mrs. Cushing died as infants during the 1880s
                    in Calgary. Sandstone gravestone at Union is unclear in a 2002 photo and
                    father's marker in another section appears to have different date for one of
                    the infants. There are two stones for the third Mrs. Cushing.

                    Combined files of three researchers yet to be sorted out, especially for the
                    Higgs descendants. Variations for a few details in the Higgs book, newspaper
                    clippings and Cushing web site.

                    Eventually my files will have images of source documents and newspaper
                    articles showing the details that do not match from one source to another.
                    This group has connections to my earliest relatives in Calgary 1907, family
                    stories and several keepsakes.
                    Elizabeth

                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 25, 2002
                      This could be true, except that Maud's birth is shown in other places as
                      1880, which is consistent with her marriage records so the 1886 was a
                      mistake on the indexer's part since the microfilm image is fuzzy.

                      a bientot,