Re: Calgary Obits

  • Robert Boynton
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 8, 2002
      Hello

      Calgary obits now seem to be archived again.

      When the Calgary Herald changed the format for their website last summer, we
      lost the archived obits for at least 6 months, due to the fact that an
      Ontario Company was contracted to do the Calgary Herald website, and after
      talking with them last August, My impression was that it was not a high
      priority to get the archived obits back.

      But it is back! But only until May 3, 2002, so we lost about 2 years worth.

      Bev, do you have a date for your death or obit? I have lots of obits pages
      around here, but they are not organized yet.

      http://classifieds.canada.com/calgary/archives/index.aspx?cls_id=36414

      Good Luck

      Rob

      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 8, 2002
        Hello Bev,
        The main library has all the obituaries in the basement. I believe that
        everything is there up to about 3 weeks ago.
        Heather Jaremko
        Queries Volunteer AFHS
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 8, 2002
          Hello List,
          If this is possible and someone is going there, may I kindly ask you to
          look up a Obit of my Gt. Grandmother. Rebecca JAMES age 64, wife of Thomas
          JAMES died in Calgary, Alberta Sept. 30. 1922 . I would love to have a copy
          of her obit if there should be one. Your help would truely be appreciated.
          Pat and Bill
          Wainwright, Alberta.
          pat0bill@...
          > The main library has all the obituaries in the basement. I believe that
          > everything is there up to about 3 weeks ago.
          > Heather Jaremko
          > Queries Volunteer AFHS

        • Bev Rayburn
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 9, 2002
            Robert Boynton & list

            I would like to thank every one for all the answers I received.

            I was asked by a lady in California but she did not have any dates, she
            thought it might have been in the last couple of years. I will see if she
            can narrow it down but she does not have a lot of information on this family

            Thanks again for your replies

            Bev

            > Calgary obits now seem to be archived again.
            >
            > When the Calgary Herald changed the format for their website last summer,
            we
            > lost the archived obits for at least 6 months, due to the fact that an
            > Ontario Company was contracted to do the Calgary Herald website, and after
            > talking with them last August, My impression was that it was not a high
            > priority to get the archived obits back.
            >
            > But it is back! But only until May 3, 2002, so we lost about 2 years
            worth.

            > Bev, do you have a date for your death or obit? I have lots of obits
            pages
            > around here, but they are not organized yet.
            >
            > http://classifieds.canada.com/calgary/archives/index.aspx?cls_id=36414
            >
            > Good Luck
            >
            > Rob

          • Carol Lylyk
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 9, 2002
              Hello Pat and Bill
              If you haven't had someone volunteer to look this up for you already let me know as I will be going
              down to the library early next week and could look it up for you then.

              Carol Lylyk
              Calgary
              > If this is possible and someone is going there, may I kindly ask you to
              > look up a Obit of my Gt. Grandmother. Rebecca JAMES age 64, wife of Thomas
              > JAMES died in Calgary, Alberta Sept. 30. 1922 . I would love to have a copy
              > of her obit if there should be one. Your help would truely be appreciated.
              > Pat and Bill
              > Wainwright, Alberta.

              ---

            • Heather Jaremko
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 9, 2002
                Hello Pat & Bill,
                In regard to your query I can look up an obituary at the main library for
                you. There is a $5.00 fee for this service. You might also like to check
                Our Future, Our Past: The Alberta Heritage Digitization Project: U of C
                Newspaper. The have the paper for a lot of years on line up to about 1954.
                Their website address is: www.ourfutureourpast.ca
                If you decide to try the U of C online could you please let me know?
                Heather Jaremko (hjaremko@...)
                Queries volunteer (queries@...)
                Alberta Family Histories Society (www.afhs.ab.ca)

                > If this is possible and someone is going there, may I kindly ask you to
                > look up a Obit of my Gt. Grandmother. Rebecca JAMES age 64, wife of Thomas
                > JAMES died in Calgary, Alberta Sept. 30. 1922 . I would love to have a
                copy
                > of her obit if there should be one. Your help would truely be appreciated.
                > Pat and Bill
                > Wainwright, Alberta.
                > pat0bill@...

              • Pat and Bill
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 9, 2002
                  Hello Heather,
                  I have had an offer for to look this up for me. and I have tryed this site,
                  but I can only find Nov 1 to Dec 30 1922. Were my date is Sept 30, 1922. I
                  don't know if there is more there as I just took a quick look at this time.
                  If this person can not do the look up for me. I will get back to you. I will
                  also spend more time in the site, and see what else is there. Thank you so
                  much for your help. and sharing this site with me.
                  Pat and Bill
                  pat0bill@...