1 hour 4 GB DVD

  • E.Rodier
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 16, 2002
      A new backup experiment today.

      Joined the computer group in 1992 with about 800 names in my FTM file and a
      lot of paper. The first DVD with a collection of FTM files, pictures and
      notes has over 4 GB of data and took about an hour to write. A second DVD of
      digital picture files, e-mail and downloaded software backups took about
      half hour to write and it is about half the size of the first. Sessions
      closed automatically but software indicates an option to add files like a
      multi-session CD-R. DVD-R media sells for about $10 in Calgary, capacity 4.7
      GB.

      The DVD-Rs play back on a two year old system from the same company but not
      on the original DVD player that still works with commercial map DVD
      programs. Next DVD-R experiment will use media from a different company in
      case that makes a difference for the older drive. DVD-RW also available but
      not yet tried.

      Started collecting picture files on 36 floppies in 1996, moved to 100 mb zip
      drive, CD-R and 1 GB Syquest. Least successful backup system for family and
      picture files was a tape drive used in 1995.
      Elizabeth