RE: Reply button on dist gen

  • Charlie Hansen
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 16, 2002
      Regarding Larry's observations and question about e-mail addressing.

      Most of the widely used e-mail client programs only provide a choice of
      "Reply" or "Reply All". When you select "Reply", information in either the
      "Reply To" header (if present) or the "From" header in the e-mail is
      copied into your reply "To:" header. If these headers contain more than
      one valid e-mail address, they will all appear in your "To:" address line.
      The behavior when you choose "Reply All:" appears to be somwhat variable,
      depending on your e-mail program and its options (tools or preferences)
      settings. All the addresses in some cases will be concatenated into the
      outgoing "To:" header. Anyone doing a "Reply:" to this e-mail will then
      get all the addresses included in their reply. I know of no alternative to
      editing the addresses in your "To:" line in your outgoing e-mail.

      My e-mail client program (Pegasus), in addition to a "Reply to all
      recipients" option, gives me a menu of selected addresses to choose from.
      I can use the addresses from one or more of the following headers:
      "From:", "Reply to:","CC:","To:" (useful if its from a mailing list) and
      the "Sender:" field. However, even that does not completely solve the
      problem of multiple addresses occuring in one header field. I then have
      the option of doing a right mouse click on any e-mail address in any
      header and staring a new message to only that address.

      There are also other e-mail client programs available that offer more
      features or options than Outlook Express. You do not have to use the
      program that came with your computer operating system or that is part of
      your browser.

      I hope this helps explain Larry's and others observations and comments.

      Regards

      Charlie Hansen