Re: Czech genealogy on the Internet.

  • Judith Rempel
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 14, 2002
      Thanks, to Joe and others who offered some excellent suggestions and
      pointed to possible folks who could be kin to my colleague.

      Do keep "Zvengros/Zwengros" in your radar scope when passting through
      Eastern European resources - it never hurts to have other eyes
      watching. I'm more and more convinced that this is a re-spelling of
      another name. Those with a slavic language fluency might be able to
      identify possibilities. I've already poked around in soundex and not
      come up with any probables that way.

      Joseph Szikora wrote:

      > Hi Judii:
      > I am a subscriber of the Czech genealogy mailing list. Below you'l find various resources for
      > Czech research. I hope you can help your collegue. This might be of interest to other Czech
      > researchers on the list.
      > Btw. Bohemia is a province of Czechia. Slovakia is now a separate country, which was
      > part of Hungary before 1920 and it was part of Czechoslovakia between 1920 and about 1996.
      > Maybe this clarifies the situation.
      > Regards,
      > Joseph.

      > Mailing list like dist-gen:
      > CZECH-L@...
      >
      > Czech mailing list owner:
      > elainetm@...
      > etm1935@...
      >
      > Czech Message Boards are at
      > http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec?htx=board&r=rw&p=topics.ethnic

      > If you'd like to search our archives, please visit
      > http://searches.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/listsearch.pl?list=CZECH

      > On Wed, 13 Nov 2002 19:32:10 -0700, Judith Rempel wrote:

      > >Will be pursuing all the usual census, border crossing, etc. sources -
      > >but does anyone have a good lead on "Bohemian" reesarch?
      > >
      > >I don't find an LDS research guide that would be helpful here.
      > >
      > >Thanks for any thoughts/suggestions.
      > >
      > >--
      > >In Kinship,
      > >Judith Rempel, Webster
      > >rempel@...
      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • OJ Zawalsky
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 15, 2002
        I have 2 friends doing Hungarian genealogy, one of them a new member of AFHS
        but not on the net. Can I get info on the list(s) mentioned? Do you know
        of a Hungarian list? O. J. Zawalsky