Calgary Obits

  • Bev Rayburn
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 7 11:36 PM
      Is there a way to find Obits from the Calgary Herald within the last two
      years?

    • E.Rodier
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 8 5:54 AM
        Calgary Herald (also Sun) newspaper for Feb 2002 is on microfilm at the
        Calgary Public Library downtown, lower floor. Staff said this week that
        papers were kept about three months and discarded as soon as films are
        available. Publication is most likely between the day after death (sometimes
        brief notice) and the day before a funeral service (often with picture.)

        Herald used to have a searchable online collection of obits then switched to
        current day obits only.
        Elizabeth

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 8 6:37 AM
          Hello

          Calgary obits now seem to be archived again.

          When the Calgary Herald changed the format for their website last summer, we
          lost the archived obits for at least 6 months, due to the fact that an
          Ontario Company was contracted to do the Calgary Herald website, and after
          talking with them last August, My impression was that it was not a high
          priority to get the archived obits back.

          But it is back! But only until May 3, 2002, so we lost about 2 years worth.

          Bev, do you have a date for your death or obit? I have lots of obits pages
          around here, but they are not organized yet.

          http://classifieds.canada.com/calgary/archives/index.aspx?cls_id=36414

          Good Luck

          Rob

          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 8 3:12 PM
            Hello Bev,
            The main library has all the obituaries in the basement. I believe that
            everything is there up to about 3 weeks ago.
            Heather Jaremko
            Queries Volunteer AFHS
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 8 3:59 PM
              Hello List,
              If this is possible and someone is going there, may I kindly ask you to
              look up a Obit of my Gt. Grandmother. Rebecca JAMES age 64, wife of Thomas
              JAMES died in Calgary, Alberta Sept. 30. 1922 . I would love to have a copy
              of her obit if there should be one. Your help would truely be appreciated.
              Pat and Bill
              Wainwright, Alberta.
              pat0bill@...
              > The main library has all the obituaries in the basement. I believe that
              > everything is there up to about 3 weeks ago.
              > Heather Jaremko
              > Queries Volunteer AFHS

            • Bev Rayburn
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 9 12:04 AM
                Robert Boynton & list

                I would like to thank every one for all the answers I received.

                I was asked by a lady in California but she did not have any dates, she
                thought it might have been in the last couple of years. I will see if she
                can narrow it down but she does not have a lot of information on this family

                Thanks again for your replies

                Bev

                > Calgary obits now seem to be archived again.
                >
                > When the Calgary Herald changed the format for their website last summer,
                we
                > lost the archived obits for at least 6 months, due to the fact that an
                > Ontario Company was contracted to do the Calgary Herald website, and after
                > talking with them last August, My impression was that it was not a high
                > priority to get the archived obits back.
                >
                > But it is back! But only until May 3, 2002, so we lost about 2 years
                worth.

                > Bev, do you have a date for your death or obit? I have lots of obits
                pages
                > around here, but they are not organized yet.
                >
                > http://classifieds.canada.com/calgary/archives/index.aspx?cls_id=36414
                >
                > Good Luck
                >
                > Rob

              • Carol Lylyk
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 9 11:16 AM
                  Hello Pat and Bill
                  If you haven't had someone volunteer to look this up for you already let me know as I will be going
                  down to the library early next week and could look it up for you then.

                  Carol Lylyk
                  Calgary
                  > If this is possible and someone is going there, may I kindly ask you to
                  > look up a Obit of my Gt. Grandmother. Rebecca JAMES age 64, wife of Thomas
                  > JAMES died in Calgary, Alberta Sept. 30. 1922 . I would love to have a copy
                  > of her obit if there should be one. Your help would truely be appreciated.
                  > Pat and Bill
                  > Wainwright, Alberta.

                  ---

                • Heather Jaremko
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 9 2:22 PM
                    Hello Pat & Bill,
                    In regard to your query I can look up an obituary at the main library for
                    you. There is a $5.00 fee for this service. You might also like to check
                    Our Future, Our Past: The Alberta Heritage Digitization Project: U of C
                    Newspaper. The have the paper for a lot of years on line up to about 1954.
                    Their website address is: www.ourfutureourpast.ca
                    If you decide to try the U of C online could you please let me know?
                    Heather Jaremko (hjaremko@...)
                    Queries volunteer (queries@...)
                    Alberta Family Histories Society (www.afhs.ab.ca)

                    > If this is possible and someone is going there, may I kindly ask you to
                    > look up a Obit of my Gt. Grandmother. Rebecca JAMES age 64, wife of Thomas
                    > JAMES died in Calgary, Alberta Sept. 30. 1922 . I would love to have a
                    copy
                    > of her obit if there should be one. Your help would truely be appreciated.
                    > Pat and Bill
                    > Wainwright, Alberta.
                    > pat0bill@...

                  • Pat and Bill
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 9 3:07 PM
                      Hello Heather,
                      I have had an offer for to look this up for me. and I have tryed this site,
                      but I can only find Nov 1 to Dec 30 1922. Were my date is Sept 30, 1922. I
                      don't know if there is more there as I just took a quick look at this time.
                      If this person can not do the look up for me. I will get back to you. I will
                      also spend more time in the site, and see what else is there. Thank you so
                      much for your help. and sharing this site with me.
                      Pat and Bill
                      pat0bill@...