Reply button on dist gen

  • owner@distgen.rumbolt.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 12, 2002
      Please remember when you are replying only the individual who wrote the
      message, remove the dist gen address from your To box, or we all see
      your reply.

      thanks

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • Larry McCool
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 15, 2002
        WITHOUT PREJUDICE.

        May I join in.
        It seems illogical to me that "all" messages go automatically to everyone.
        If I wish to reply to an individual I activate the return button, BUT, if I
        wish to reply to everyone on the list I activate the reply to all button.
        Are there some readers that do not have that choice? I am using Outlook
        Express.
        Or is this the decision of the group? I will gladly "obey" as required.

        Larry

        Larry & Doreen McCool
        Calgary, AB Canada
        Our new address is
        mccoollh@...
        Our website is now at

        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 15, 2002
          Dear Larry,

          For some reason on dist-gen using Outlook 2000 I use reply and it replies to
          dist-gen and the message sender - in other words the same as doing "reply
          all". I have to remember to go to the to line and remove the dist-gen
          address.

          I am not sure if this is a feature of Outlook 2000 or of the way dist-gen is
          set up. This does not happen if the distribution list is on the CC line and
          the original message sender is on the To line. However, if both are on the
          To line, Outlook 2000 seems to use both on the Reply command.

          On another list I am on the original message sender is removed while the
          list address is copied into the Reply line even though it is on the CC line
          and the name of the individual is on the To line. So if I want to reply only
          to the individual on that list I have to cut and past his/her name into the
          reply line and delete the list address.

          Thus unless Outlook 2000 is unpredictable, it would seem to me that there is
          something in the set-up of the lists that has an effect on whether Reply
          goes to the list address or the individual address or both.

          à bientôt,

          Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564

          > Please remember when you are replying only the individual who wrote the
          > message, remove the dist gen address from your To box, or we all see
          > your reply.
          >
          > thanks

        • Rene Dussome
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 15, 2002
            Larry:

            > It seems illogical to me that "all" messages go automatically to everyone.
            > If I wish to reply to an individual I activate the return button, BUT, if I
            > wish to reply to everyone on the list I activate the reply to all button.
            > Are there some readers that do not have that choice? I am using Outlook
            > Express.

            Yes Larry. Netscape 4.78 people don't have a Return button. We have two
            relevant buttons - Reply and Reply All.

            Rene Dussome
            http://www.afhs.ab.ca
          • Bill Boogaart
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 15, 2002
              Eudora has Reply and Reply All buttons. If you want to send a reply to one
              specific person, you delete the ones you don't want out of the To:, Cc; and
              Bcc: fields.

              At 04:08 PM 11/15/2002 -0700, you wrote:
              >WITHOUT PREJUDICE.
              >
              >May I join in.
              >It seems illogical to me that "all" messages go automatically to everyone.
              >If I wish to reply to an individual I activate the return button, BUT, if I
              >wish to reply to everyone on the list I activate the reply to all button.
              >Are there some readers that do not have that choice? I am using Outlook
              >Express.
              >Or is this the decision of the group? I will gladly "obey" as required.
              >
              >Larry
              >
              >Larry & Doreen McCool
              >Calgary, AB Canada
              >Our new address is
              >mccoollh@...
              >Our website is now at
              >http://www3.telus.net/public/mccoollh/index.html

              http://www.afhs.ab.ca
            • Charlie Hansen
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 16, 2002
                Regarding Larry's observations and question about e-mail addressing.

                Most of the widely used e-mail client programs only provide a choice of
                "Reply" or "Reply All". When you select "Reply", information in either the
                "Reply To" header (if present) or the "From" header in the e-mail is
                copied into your reply "To:" header. If these headers contain more than
                one valid e-mail address, they will all appear in your "To:" address line.
                The behavior when you choose "Reply All:" appears to be somwhat variable,
                depending on your e-mail program and its options (tools or preferences)
                settings. All the addresses in some cases will be concatenated into the
                outgoing "To:" header. Anyone doing a "Reply:" to this e-mail will then
                get all the addresses included in their reply. I know of no alternative to
                editing the addresses in your "To:" line in your outgoing e-mail.

                My e-mail client program (Pegasus), in addition to a "Reply to all
                recipients" option, gives me a menu of selected addresses to choose from.
                I can use the addresses from one or more of the following headers:
                "From:", "Reply to:","CC:","To:" (useful if its from a mailing list) and
                the "Sender:" field. However, even that does not completely solve the
                problem of multiple addresses occuring in one header field. I then have
                the option of doing a right mouse click on any e-mail address in any
                header and staring a new message to only that address.

                There are also other e-mail client programs available that offer more
                features or options than Outlook Express. You do not have to use the
                program that came with your computer operating system or that is part of
                your browser.

                I hope this helps explain Larry's and others observations and comments.

                Regards

                Charlie Hansen