Gadgets

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 10, 2002
      Hi Donna,

      I think these old gadgets are wonderful. Springbank Elementary School has an
      annual Heritage Day to which I have been invited the last three years. They
      bring in many old gadgets to display to the students and the visitors. Some
      of them I remember well from my farm days childhood. Others are a novelty
      and a marvel at the ingenuity of people of the past.

      The displays in one teacher's room last year included something that looked
      like the bare ribs of an umbrella - only made from thin wood rather than
      metal. When I asked what it was she picked it up and let it fall open and
      voila! There was a portable and easily stored clothesline!

      I thought your gadget was a shelf until you explained it was a bag
      stretcher. I hope you bring it and other mementos to the December meeting.
      Last year I thought we were allowed only one object. This year I may bring
      my irons and a manual very-old "blender/egg beater".

      My family too kept everything but refused to let it off the farm. So I have
      been looking for and gathering my own antiques! They are not many but they
      remind me of how we take modern conveniences for granted and how our
      ancestors found necessity the mother of invention. Like photos these old
      objects are keys to unlocking the past.

      a bientot,

      Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564

      >Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 12:40:04 -0700
      >From: Donna Coulter <coulterd@...>
      >Subject: Family Treasures
      >To: AFHS Distribution List <dist-gen@...>
      >
      >I was asked why I was interested in gadgets and momentous of the past.
      >This query came after I had presented my brag at the last AFHS meeting. It
      >seemed obvious to me that what interested me about the past must surely
      >interest others.
      >
      >I am recording our family history, these gadgets and moment's are part of
      >our history. I will be printing pictures of the gadgets that I know
      >Grandpa used and that succeeding generations in true family tradition did
      >not throw out- ha ha .
      >
      >The bag stretcher I showed at the meeting was about 100 years old. The
      >gentleman's name on it is mentioned in the Durban history book. AND the
      >name of the town is on the holder.
      >
      >Durban is no longer much of anything. I remember it in the 1930's/40's as
      >a metropolis of 150 residents. Each time I returned it was smaller --
      >until this June I believe there are only five homes, making the population
      >about 20.
      >
      >Each time I returned I took pictures of the hamlet. This time I took
      >pictures of every building still standing. I walked the distance and it
      >took about one and a half hours including talking to four the residents.
      >It was sad-sad-sad.
      >
      >A bit of rejoicing though. Donald a great grandson of the original owner
      >(Grandpa) bought a lot-- just to have a bit of his heritage. Now that was
      >a plus.
      >
      >Hurrah for gadgets and our heritage.
      >
      >Donna Coulter formerly (way back) of DURBAN, MANITOBA.
      >
      >Donna Coulter
      >Box 1232 Nanton AB.
      >CANADA T0L 1RO
      >Donna Coulter
      >Box 1232 Nanton AB.
      >CANADA T0L 1RO

    • E.Rodier
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 10, 2002
        Did you ever hear the story about 4 little piglets that attended a
        Springbank wedding in April 12, 1921? Two of them are in a snapshot but they
        didn't make the wedding picture and it isn't very clear. I have a Springbank
        school teacher's snapshot album for 1920-21. Didn't do a very good job of
        remembering her stories about Maggie, Loppy, Floppy and Bridget. There is a
        good picture of the school. Snapshots of some students are marked with
        names.
        Elizabeth

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 11, 2002
          Hi Elizabeth,

          I was going to send my reply to Donna only but so glad I did not as it
          elicited this wonderful surprise answer from you.

          Is there any way to get a copy of the pictures and/or story? I am sure my
          grandneice would love it for the 2003 Heritage Days. My two grandnephews
          that invited me the previous two years to come in as an "artifact" to talk
          about what school was like in olden times have moved on to Middle School. So
          only their youngest sibling Olivia will be part of this event for the next
          year or two. I am pretty sure she will invite me as her brothers and their
          classes found me quite entertaining with my stories of the outhouse, the
          cloak room, the frozen ice in the water bucket and dressing up the
          neighbour's goat with tree branch antlers and red lipstick on his nose as
          Rudolph for our Christmas pageant.

          Last year they also had a woman from the Springbank Heritage Society but she
          did not bring any pictures of the school. Thus this will be a new treasure
          for them. I need new material for this upcoming year as it will be my fourth
          if invited. Soon I should graduate - don't you think? :-)

          P.S. The book (called Faces of the Past) that I am holding in the picture in
          the Calgary Herald shows a photo of the school and the teacher in Brouse, BC
          where my father first attended school. My sister dug through the family
          photos in the old trunk once stored under my grandmother's bed in which she
          found a photo of the same school and same teacher with the group of children
          one of which is my father.

          à bientôt,