From the Computer SIG meeting

  • Gordon Lane
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 9, 2002
      I made mention of a company that tests your security via the Web

      Here's the link

      www.securitymetrics.com

      Regards

      Gordon Lane
      Treasurer
      Alberta Family Histories Society http://www.afhs.ab.ca
      Personal Web Site: http://www.rumbolt.com

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • Larry McCool
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 9, 2002
        Gordon
        Have you tried this one
        I am a bit skittish as to are they real or are they a problem by themselves?
        Just an old man, once bitten twice shy 8>))
        Larry

        Larry & Doreen McCool
        Calgary, AB Canada
        Our new address is
        mccoollh@...
        Our website is now at

        > I made mention of a company that tests your security via the Web
        >
        > Here's the link
        >
        > www.securitymetrics.com
        >
        > Regards
        >
        > Gordon Lane
        > Treasurer
        > Alberta Family Histories Society http://www.afhs.ab.ca
        > Personal Web Site: http://www.rumbolt.com

      • Bill Mumford
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 9, 2002
          > Have you tried this one
          > I am a bit skittish as to are they real or are they a problem by
          themselves?
          > Just an old man, once bitten twice shy 8>))

          > > I made mention of a company that tests your security via the Web
          > > Here's the link
          > > www.securitymetrics.com

          I just ran it on my setup Larry. They couldn't find any holes in the
          limited test they ran. Their email check also indicated my virus software
          is up to date. If my machine crashes now we can both blame Gordon. <G>

          Bill

          http://www.afhs.ab.ca
        • Gordon Lane
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 9, 2002
            Hi Larry and Bill,

            This was a company at the Computer Trade Show a couple of weeks ago and
            do have some large clients. I used them for a full test on my computer,
            took about 38 minutes and they didn't do any damage. They alos reported
            that they could not break in as I have a router between my computer and
            the Internet

            Regards

            Gordon Lane
            Treasurer
            Alberta Family Histories Society http://www.afhs.ab.ca
            Personal Web Site: http://www.rumbolt.com

          • Bill Boogaart
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 10, 2002
              At 08:50 PM 11/9/2002 -0700, you wrote:
              >I made mention of a company that tests your security via the Web
              >
              >Here's the link
              >
              >www.securitymetrics.com

              Here is a secure site that does similar tests:
              https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 This one is from Gibson Research, a very
              respectable software developer.

              http://www.afhs.ab.ca
            • Larry McCool