RE: I need your help!! 6713xT-6

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 9, 2002
      I have been reporting these attempted crimes to the special unit of the RCMP
      for several years now. It started when we used to receive these letters at
      work via snail mail because there was no e-mail. I stated to them recently
      that I was surprised anyone (especially business people) fell for these. The
      answer I received from one of the top officers in the division handling this
      was that hundreds of people continue to do so every day and the people duped
      come from the well-educated and normally sensible lot.

      Also railing against these messages because they are from other countries,
      such as Angola, is futile because often they are operated right here in
      Canada or other parts of North America. It is not a government run scheme.
      It is a plain and simple scam that is kept alive because people believe they
      are helping someone else and helping themselves in the process. They are
      really just helping others help themselves to their money. Never give anyone
      like this your personal information, such as bank account number, name and
      birth date. And as I was quoted in the Calgary Herald as saying "don't use
      your mother's maiden name as a password for any account". Make up a name or
      word. It prevents identity theft which the RCMP say is on the increase.

      Finally never reply to any of these emails. Just delete them or as I do -
      forward them to phonebusters at wafl@... and then delete them.

      It started as the Nigerian fraud letters but has expanded to include other
      parts of Africa. Phonebusters now call it the "West Africa fraud letters" or
      more generically "advanced fee letter fraud".

      If you know someone who has been scammed or have urgent information call
      1-888-495-8501. For additional information on Advance Fee Letter Fraud see
      the following links:
      http://phonebusters.com/
      http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/scams/nigerian.htm
      http://home.rica.net/alphae/419coal/
      http://www.crimes-of-persuasion.com/Crimes/Business/nigerian.htm

      Also be aware there are 1-900 number frauds. If you receive an offer to call
      a 1-9XX (x for any number) for further information or to benefit from some
      service (such as the Cleo psychic hotline), be aware you are paying a per
      minute charge and will be on the phone for minutes to hours while the
      charges are racking up. I read how one woman stayed on Cleo's psychic
      hotline for 1.5 hours being told she would soon get through to Cleo. All the
      time apparently she received the same commercial over and over again. She
      hung up eventually and then with shock saw her next phone bill included a
      charge of hundreds of dollars for this call.

      So don't waste your breath complaining to the list. Report, ignore and/or
      delete these messages. When the scammers do not meet with success they will
      fade away.

      Xenia