First message

  • BW
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 8, 2002
        This is my first message to the dist-gen. I hope I am not stepping outside the parameters of what is allowed.
         In one of the computer SIG meetings it was mentioned there is a program for cleaning up spyware. The program was Ad-Aware. I just wanted others to know that there is a new version, 5.83, now available for download. Here is a link to a page talking about the program - http://www.lsfileserv.com/index.html . Here is a link to the actual downloads page - http://www.lsfileserv.com/downloads.html . I removed the old version of the program before installing the new. There is also an update to the definitions file on the same download page. Download the link for "Ad-aware signature file (ref # 042-24.09.02) 38 kb" and then unzip it to the Ad-Aware folder to bring the definitions file up to Sept 24 versus the default May 6.
         I have a link, too, for another spyware utility, called SpyBot - Search & Destroy. This second one is very aggressive in how it works. A friend passed it to me as he says it is the best he has found. It will find more than just spyware. It warns you to be sure you want to clear something as the program you clean up may not work after. I find it works well, as long as I am careful. Here is the link http://security.kolla.de/index.php?lang=en&page=download . It is shareware. You can make a donation.
         I hope you find this info useful.

         Brian.

          P.S. If I have overstepped the intended bounds of the dist-gen, please be gentle to me in letting me know.