Re: Edmonton Cemeteries

  • Ian Holmes
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 7, 2002
      Hi Rob

      AGS (the Alberta Genealogical Society) has worked extensively with the
      City of Edmonton and Tim McCargar over a number of years to document and
      share many of the burial records for City cemeteries. We have found him
      to be a good person. However, that area of the City Services always
      seems to be chronically understaffed and grateful for the input of the
      AGS volunteers. Obviously the City Council has been putting pressure on
      all of its staff to seek "cost recovery".

      It is not clear from your message exactly what information you are
      seeking from the city records or whether you are looking for a person
      who died less than 25 years ago. AGS has an extensive database of
      cemetery and burial information and it may be that your request could be
      responded to by the AGS research team at:

      agsoffice@...

      Just as a matter of interest, AGS and the Edmonton Branch rents its
      library space from the City in the Prince of Wales Armouries Heritage
      Center which is one of the City of Edmonton Heritage Facilities which
      Tim oversees. When we recently asked to expand our space we found out
      that the City prefers commercial rents which are far more than we can
      afford.

      Ian Holmes

      Robert Boynton wrote:

      > Hello
      > Recently, I wrote an email to the Edmonton Cemeteries asking for a lookup
      > for an individuals burial record. I was looking for the Burial record of
      > someone who owns mineral rights in Alberta and were last known to live in
      > Edmonton.
      >
      > I received an email in return from Tim McCargar stating that I needed to pay
      > them $10.00 for this search.
      >
      > I wrote back to them stating that I had done research all over North America
      > at cemeteries and I had never been asked for money before. I ask who
      > instituted this and he said it was he himself and I could call him.
      >
      > Tim McCargar: (780) 496-6981 Director of the City of Edmonton Heritage
      > Facilities. tim.mccargar@...
      >
      > Personally, I find this a disguting state of affairs.
      >
      > This is a money grab by an institution that has a monopoly on what is
      > considered every where else to be, PUBLIC INFORMATION.
      >
      > This act of charging for public information flies in the face of all the
      > people in North America Volunteering their time to provide information about
      > our ancestry.
      >
      > Millions of hours were spent recording events like the Ellis Island
      > Immigration, the Alberta Census Index, Cemetery indexes all over North
      > America, including many in Calgary and all across Alberta, the CPR Land
      > Aquisitions at the Glenbow, the list of acts of generosity of volunteers
      > goes on and on.
      >
      > I, myself spent a year volunteering on the Genealogy Helplist for Calgary
      > when it first came out.
      >
      > Myself, I cannot see the justification for charging for this information,
      > can you?
      >
      > Rob Boynton
      > Calgary
      >
      > http://www.afhs.ab.ca
      > http://www.family-roots.ca

    • william campbell
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 7, 2002
        Hi Rob:

        May I suggest that you send your message, exactly as written, to the Mayor of
        the City of Edmonton.

        Good luck

        Bill

        --