1930's maps

  • E.Rodier
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 7, 2002
      Is anyone researching 1930's farms east of Calgary? There are some maps
      showing names of farmers from Chestermere Lake to the west side of Bassano,
      north of the Bow River and Blackfoot reserve about as far north as Irricana.
      A larger map shows the roads, towns, railways, townships, creeks.
      Elizabeth

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • khalua.m
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 7, 2002
        Hmmm might help me, what about north a ways to athabasca?
        donna may

        "E.Rodier" wrote:

        > Is anyone researching 1930's farms east of Calgary? There are some maps
        > showing names of farmers from Chestermere Lake to the west side of Bassano,
        > north of the Bow River and Blackfoot reserve about as far north as Irricana.
        > A larger map shows the roads, towns, railways, townships, creeks.
        > Elizabeth

      • John Doyle
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 7, 2002
          Most Counties , Municipal and Improvement Districts in the Province of
          Alberta publish on a semi-regular basis land ownership maps. These maps are
          usually on a scale of approx 1" to the mile. There has been concern
          expressed recently about privacy issues. The CITY FOLK have moved to the
          country and wish to retain their anonimity and are trying to prevent
          distribution of these maps.

          I expect that most municipal offices will have copies of their "OLD
          MAPS" on file, I have seen some mounted and hanging on walls in various
          municipal offices.

          The Alberta department of Municipal Affairs used to publish an index map of
          the province showing the counties, IDs and MDs. In addition there was a
          printout available; listing addresses, phone numbers elected officials and
          the name of the Mayor/Reeve (etc.) and Secretary for all towns, villages,
          hamlets counties, Special Areas, ID/MDs etc. cross referenced to the map.

          Similar maps were available in the 60's for Saskatchewan. I expect that
          they are still avaiable from the individual Rural Municipalities.

          I used to have all this Alberta information. I will try to find it and if I
          do I will give it to the AFHS library.
          > Hmmm might help me, what about north a ways to athabasca?
          > donna may
          >
          > "E.Rodier" wrote:
          >
          > > Is anyone researching 1930's farms east of Calgary? There are some maps
          > > showing names of farmers from Chestermere Lake to the west side of
          Bassano,
          > > north of the Bow River and Blackfoot reserve about as far north as
          Irricana.
          > > A larger map shows the roads, towns, railways, townships, creeks.
          > > Elizabeth
          > >
          > > http://www.afhs.ab.ca

        • Keith Maitland
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 7, 2002
            Some Manitoba municipalities still publish these maps, they are available from
            the municipal offices for a small fee.

            Keith